BC Boards

What dry food is best?

KillilovesBC

This is from the AAFCO website:

What are AAFCO's nutritional standards for complete and balanced pet foods?

A pet food company has several options approved by AAFCO. These options are substantiation of nutrient content and feeding trials.

"substantiation of nutrient content" means the pet food company can estimate the nutritional value of their food using their ingredient list and math

"feeding trials" means the pet food company feeds their formula to animals and demonstrates it has the nutrient content required for the animal

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend used to work for Farmland Industries (til they went bankrupt). He was in charge of the dog/cat food testing kennel. Yes, they test dogs/cats on their food. and Purina among others keep kennels full of dogs to test their feeds. Farmland had some very nice Brittneys. and they were favored among the local hunters as a source of hunting dogs. They branched out and added some smaller breeds to make sure the feeds worked well on different types of dog. If not mistaken they also had other companies test feeds via their kennel. The kennels were extremely nice and always appeared clean and the dogs healthy. (I know they did hip x rays on most of the breeding stock as well as regular vet checks)

Purina Farms has their kennels for public viewing out at Grey's Summit, MO.

If you read the beginning paragraphs on the PETA website you provided, it explains that many companies simply didn't respond to the questionnaire that PETA sent them, therefore the company was not included. I cannot believe that a dog food company would not do some kind of feeding palatability study prior to releasing a feed to the public. How would you know that they would eat it or find it tasty?

This is from the AAFCO website:

"substantiation of nutrient content" means the pet food company can estimate the nutritional value of their food using their ingredient list and math

"feeding trials" means the pet food company feeds their formula to animals and demonstrates it has the nutrient content required for the animal

Substantiation - I think that is a great idea for a FIRST STEP in the testing process. I am more comfortable when I know that feeding trials have been performed.

Jovi

• 2 years later...

I'm with Danielle on Acana or Orijen. My boys gets Acana, the cheaper version of Orijen from the same company, Champion Petfoods. When I got him at 6 weeks he was on Eukanuba and his coat was dull, so I did some research and switched to Innova. Since Innova's 'joining' with P&G I've switched to Acana and love it. Oliver's coat is so silky and shiny I could pet him all day - which he would have no qualms over ^.^

I'm a firm believer that any dog food that contains corn is crap. Also that at least the first ingredient should be meat. Its great if you have a picky eater, it has a high palatability. Also, the less grains in a dog food the less likely food allergies are to arise.

The only downside is that it isn't exactly cheap. A 30lb bag is $60 where I live, good thing I only have one dog http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.gif

There are lots of other good dog foods out there, Acana/Orijen is just the one I chose.

I'm with Danielle on Acana or Orijen. My boys gets Acana, the cheaper version of Orijen from the same company, Champion Petfoods. When I got him at 6 weeks he was on Eukanuba and his coat was dull, so I did some research and switched to Innova. Since Innova's 'joining' with P&G I've switched to Acana and love it. Oliver's coat is so silky and shiny I could pet him all day - which he would have no qualms over ^.^

I'm a firm believer that any dog food that contains corn is crap. Also that at least the first ingredient should be meat. Its great if you have a picky eater, it has a high palatability. Also, the less grains in a dog food the less likely food allergies are to arise.

The only downside is that it isn't exactly cheap. A 30lb bag is $60 where I live, good thing I only have one dog http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.gif

There are lots of other good dog foods out there, Acana/Orijen is just the one I chose.

Sorry i may have accidentally posted this three times! Anyways! We give our girl Acana duck and Bartlett pear, but she's been dealing with the runs lately, so id like to try a different kind...which kind do you feed? We LOVE acana as it is all sourced from our home and we dont want to change! !

I would stay away from Wellness. I used it for a while and it ended up making my young dog very ill. They have quality control problems. We switched to Canidae Life formula and all is well. Also Canidae does not use the NC Diamond food plant that has had so many recalls and violations.

Before I would be targeting the dog food as the culprit, I would be thinking about 'Is my dog under some sort of stress?' or 'Did my dog eat something outside that messed up her digestive system?' and 'Is it parasites?'

If I see the runs (not just once or twice, that can happen and I don't worry too much about it - but 2 or 3 or more days in a row), I will usually bring a fecal sample into the vet's to have it screened for parasites (including Giardia, which is usually a separate (and more money) test).

• 2 weeks later...