BC Boards

HELP: Exercise before vaccines?

Hi all,

I have a 10 week old pup who is following Dr. Jean Dodds' vaccine protocol, so he has had his first round of shots so far. He's a lovely puppy but we are running into a little problem.

As we can't go on walks or to parks/fields right now, we are doing our best to stimulate his mind indoors. We are clicker training/shaping behaviours, playing tug and fetch, etc but he is starting to get very restless and frustrated because he seems like he just needs to run and burn off some energy. He's been throwing little temper tantrums when we go out to potty where he just wants to run, grab at the grass, zoom and then when we head inside, he doesn't want to come and just turns into a stubborn jerk.

Wondering what are some things you all do when you have wee ones and you can't get outdoors somewhere where they can really burn it off. We are starting puppy socialization class tomorrow and know he'll get tired then but we are feeling awful that we can't take him out somewhere other than our small yard.

Any indoor/small yard games and ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

I not sure who Dr. Jean Dodd is and I'm not sure why you can't take your pup places. I'm guessing you are worried about distemper, parvo, etc, which is understandable. You say that you will be starting puppy socialization class tomorrow? Since that puppy class would be held at a training center, and I'm assuming classes other than puppy class are held there? So what is going to be the difference between going out to the puppy class or going on a walk, wouldn't that pup still be at risk either place?

Are there parks/fields that don't have much dog traffic, if so why not take your pup there. Is your yard fenced, if it is why not let him run around to he has had his fun? If not how about putting him on a long line so at least he can run farther than a regular leash and stretch his legs. Stuffed kongs or treat puzzles can also be fun, but won't occupy them forever. Your pup is being exactly that; a pup and he will want to run, play, stretch those legs, that is why he is throwing tantrums.

I guess if it was me I would be more worried about getting my pup out and about, seeing the world, meeting others, learning manners to make them well rounded. I have been to plenty of trials where pups who aren't weaned yet, are traveling from trial to trial because the handler wants to know that mom and pups is being well taken care of and not left with the farm/dog sitter.

That's what it is, I'm very paranoid of parvo. There are parks that are not very high in dog traffic so I think that you're right that the risk of not getting him out would be more severe than keeping him inside because of parvo. I guess I wasn't sure if we could go somewhere like that. I will get out right away then (safely!)

He does have good romps in our yard. We just had one actually where we went all out and now he is resting nicely at my feet. I think I just had a paranoid mom moment and made it sound a little more severe than it is. I just want him to have the best!

That said, if the best is taking him outside over keeping him in then that is what we will do. He is 10 weeks so I will really focus my efforts on getting him out and about while being smart about dog traffic.

Thank you for your grounding response. I just get nervous!

Yes, after re-reading my first post now, I am realizing now that I didn't mention that we do play in the yard and it does tucker the boy out. We also take him on car rides and to other friends/family's yards to play.

Thanks Liz for the link. The embarrassing thing is I've actually read that article before! I guess I just convinced myself that we would get a fatal disease and got myself scared I'd kill him. I do want him to be well-rounded and bombshell so I will shake myself off and get him out in the world more since it's clear that not getting out is actually more deadly. He's only been here 6 days so we won't spend another in fear!

Thanks all. I came here for exactly this reassurance.