USBCHA allowing AKC herding judges at finals

Jumpin Boots

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone,

Eileen wrote:

"Of course the line between the working border collie and the AKC is no longer 100% sharp. That was bound to happen once AKC recognized the border collie -- indeed, that's the reason AKC recognition was so bad, and why so many people fought against it. There are now people who think, "Why shouldn't I take money for doing what I love, even if it's in AKC and AKC is paying me? Who could find fault with that?" There are people who think, "Why shouldn't I register my dogs with AKC and support them with my entry fees, if it means more ways to have fun with my dog. Who could find fault with that?" There is bound to be a slide in that direction, an erosion, but that slide will accelerate faster and faster the more people signal acceptance of it. If the rule against AKC judges for the Finals had been changed, that would have been another loss of ground to those who are fine with the AKC-ification of the border collie. To me, the very fact that there has been blurring of the line is all the more reason to hold that line, and fight against anything that would blur it further."

I wholeheartedly agree with Eileen, and her comments perfectly describe my thoughts. Thank you, Eileen, for your input.

Regards,

nancy

Hello everyone,

Our insightful sage Donald wrote:

"The National Finals Sheepdog Trial is Our effort, Our registry, Our breeding strategy, Our biggest test and Our national showcase for the Border Collie we have vowed to hand on to our grandchildren just as we found them: useful, brilliant delights. The Finals belongs to our dogs and is too important to be judged by those who part-time for an organization that promotes breeding that has ruined other breeds and would destroy ours."

Thank you, Donald, for once again so eloquently stating our mission.

Regards,

nancy

Once again our Donald nails it. :) These are my thoughts in a nutshell. For local trials, I'm just glad when anybody wants to take on the judging job and has the wherewithal to get it done. But Finals is our flagship and we need to be choosy about who is at the helm.

~ Gloria

Dear Doggers,

I have twice invited handlers I knew to be AKC judges to judge my trial. One did a fine job, the other is the only judge in 25 years I wouldn't invite again.

Several years ago some Big Hats floated the notion that only HA certified judges (i.e.themselves) could judge a sanctioned trial. Hosts - including myself - announced that under those circumstances, they would continue holding trials but not sanction them and the Certifiers went away. My farm, my sheep, my effort, my guests, my risks, my reputation: my trial.

I've also helped host two National Finals and they are a different story. The National Finals Sheepdog Trial is Our effort, Our registry, Our breeding strategy, Our biggest test and Our national showcase for the Border Collie we have vowed to hand on to our grandchildren just as we found them: useful, brilliant delights. The Finals belongs to our dogs and is too important to be judged by those who part-time for an organization that promotes breeding that has ruined other breeds and would destroy ours.

Donald McCaig

I've also helped host two National Finals and they are a different story. The National Finals Sheepdog Trial is Our effort, Our registry, Our breeding strategy, Our biggest test and Our national showcase for the Border Collie we have vowed to hand on to our grandchildren just as we found them: useful, brilliant delights. The Finals belongs to our dogs and is too important to be judged by those who part-time for an organization that promotes breeding that has ruined other breeds and would destroy ours.

Hear, hear.

I see on some of the FB comments that some people just don't get this.

Not surprising; it's nothing new. But for me it just drives home the importance of maintaining that distinction. If they don't get it, they're not going to be able to wrap their heads around what we need to do to keep these dogs bred for real work.