BC Boards

What non-food stuff has your dog safely eaten ?

What non-food stuff has your dog safely eaten and later pooped out ?

I found out that not all frisbees are made alike, we have some frisbees that our dog can put teeth marks in but not easily chew off chunks, another frisbee she has been able to easily chew off a chunk roughly about 1/2 to 3/4 inch, I saw it in her mouth and tried to get it out but she got excited and hurried up and swallowed it before I could get it.

This happened last night and I am hoping it is small enough to pass thru her system, she has eaten smaller bits of plastic in the past and I saw them come out in her poop.

I had to leave for work very early this morning but she did poop before I left but the plastic piece was not in it so I am guessing it was still too soon for it to have passed thru her system.

I fed her some food after she pooped this morning and she has an appetite so I guess that is a good sign everything is ok, hopefully when my wife takes her out later today her next poop will have that plastic piece in it.

I am definitely going to have to be extra careful from now on as she can chew off a chunk of something very very quickly.

Am I assuming correctly that there should be no reason for any real concern as long as she keeps having an appitite in the meantime ?

A cassette tape ?

If so, that sounds like a tough thing to swallow, even in pieces given cassettes are made of hard plastic, did it go thru her system without any real problems ?

My wife´s dog has eaten a Bob Dylan tape once.

Neeko eats anything I am guessing that looks yummy to him. He eats the cheap petsmart frisbees if I am not watching. He has eaten crayons, guessing those were his favorite by the color of his poop! So far we have never had a problem with the frisbees passing thru.

How big were the chunks of frisbee ?

I have had my dog poop out small 1/8 to 1/4 inch chunks before, but this one was about 1/2 to 3/4 inch, but from what I read elsewhere dogs have pooped out larger stuff than that, so hopefully there is no reason for concern.

Neeko eats anything I am guessing that looks yummy to him. He eats the cheap petsmart frisbees if I am not watching. He has eaten crayons, guessing those were his favorite by the color of his poop! So far we have never had a problem with the frisbees passing thru.

A cassette tape ?

If so, that sounds like a tough thing to swallow, even in pieces given cassettes are made of hard plastic, did it go thru her system without any real problems ?

Yeah, but only the tape out of the cassette , not the casing itself.

And it passed through "like a rolling stone" . My wife reports some minor trouble during defecation, it needed a bit of pulling to get it out... :P

There was a time when Bear would swallow anything that fit in his mouth. Probably the strangest thing he swallowed and passed was a whole bottle of nail polish (with lid on...came out the same condition it went in) and little mouse shaped cat toys.

One of the labs I take care of ate 4 pairs of boxer shorts. He threw 2 pairs back up and pooped out the other two pairs. And he really didn't feel good.

The OES I take care of ate a whole package of razor blades. She bit off the handles and swallowed the razor part. The vet had them feed her cotton balls and canned catfood. I don't think it even slowed her down.

There was a case that made national news when a border collie swallowed a big kitchen knife. I think the knife had cake on it. Dog survived because the owners found it in time. I have put my kitchen knives way up high ever since I read that.

Dogs will eat anything.

Tweed ate part of a lightbulb when he was a puppy (a piece of glass). He passed it without issue. Much more stressful on me, I suspect.

Piper went through a stage recently where she ate the skin off of her stuffies. None of my dogs want to eat the guts when they destuffify them, but for some reason she decided the skins needed to be stripped off in delicate little bacon shaped pieces and consumed. She's stopped doing that now. She's 10!!

Other than that, my dogs have been very good about not consuming non-edible things.

RDM

Wow, those tapes are long, it must have been interesting to pull all that out :)

Yeah, but only the tape out of the cassette , not the casing itself.

And it passed through "like a rolling stone" . My wife reports some minor trouble during defecation, it needed a bit of pulling to get it out... :P

Man, it is getting amazing at learning what dogs can eat and poop out, probally a good thing the lid didn't come off !

There was a time when Bear would swallow anything that fit in his mouth. Probably the strangest thing he swallowed and passed was a whole bottle of nail polish (with lid on...came out the same condition it went in) and little mouse shaped cat toys.

4 pairs ????? it is a wonder 2 pairs made it thru his system, and I think I fould have freaked about the razors !

One of the labs I take care of ate 4 pairs of boxer shorts. He threw 2 pairs back up and pooped out the other two pairs. And he really didn't feel good.

The OES I take care of ate a whole package of razor blades. She bit off the handles and swallowed the razor part. The vet had them feed her cotton balls and canned catfood. I don't think it even slowed her down.

There was a case that made national news when a border collie swallowed a big kitchen knife. I think the knife had cake on it. Dog survived because the owners found it in time. I have put my kitchen knives way up high ever since I read that.

Dogs will eat anything.

I can surely understand the "more stressful on me" phrase :) ......amazing that the glass didn't cause a problem but I bet you were so thankful it didn't ! .......hopefully our dog will outgrow the eating everything phase sooner than later !

......my wife called me and she said our dog is acting perky and normal so that is a good sign, she hasn't yet did another poop so hopefully her next poop will have that chunk of plastic in it.

Tweed ate part of a lightbulb when he was a puppy (a piece of glass). He passed it without issue. Much more stressful on me, I suspect.

Piper went through a stage recently where she ate the skin off of her stuffies. None of my dogs want to eat the guts when they destuffify them, but for some reason she decided the skins needed to be stripped off in delicate little bacon shaped pieces and consumed. She's stopped doing that now. She's 10!!

Other than that, my dogs have been very good about not consuming non-edible things.

RDM

Well, I got her to do another poop when I got home from work today, but still didn't see that plastic chunk yet, so maybe her next poop, which would then be the 3rd poop since she ate it. (I guess it takes over 24 hours and 2 poops to pass an object ?)

The dumbest things Quinn ate were bark, sand, dirt, pieces of a variety of toys, and a small SOS pad that hadn't even been used. Usually the stuff passes through him or he throws it up at some point withing a couple of days. The sand and bark caused constipation, especially the sand. Oddly, the SOS pad went through him ok with no damage but I think it burned going down because he got all clingy with me after eating it. Fortunately, I had no idea what he had done until it arrived on the other side and so was spared making frantic phone calls to the vet, late night Googling and worrying about the big dope.

Continue to keep an eye on your dog to make sure she is eating, drinking, eliminating and acting normally. If she refuses food or acts listless, I would contact the vet immediately. I know with my dogs, pieces of toys can sit in their stomach for a couple of days before they toss them back up. This all while eating, playing, pooping and seeming perfectly fine. Dogs are weird that way.

Very few toys are what I consider "Quinn Proof" which actually means "Quinn Highly Reistant." Nothing is ultimately safe from him but I have a few toys that can be left out and it takes long enough for him to wear them down that I am able to replace them before he is swallowing pieces. All other toys are out of his reach unless I am there to supervise play.

Well, this is not exactly non-food, but almost. My friend's cattle dog ate an entire pound of raw rice, and showed no ill effect. Of course, the same dog ate a whole package of chocolate cookies with no ill effect as well, and was also skilled at tearing the aluminum siding off mobile homes with his teeth (also with absolutely no ill effect). How he managed to do that was always a mystery to us. Never knew such a tough dog in my life as that one.

D'Elle

Well, it didn't come out the other end, but Maddie ate an entire bird's nest complete with baby birds and mama bird . . .

I found it when I got home from work one day (years ago, obviously). Walked in, saw a mess on the floor, noticed an eye . . . went "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat"??? And then realized what the whole mess was. She regurgitated it after I had left for work.

I miss that girl!

Dean ate a Christmas ornament. He got cotton balls soaked in half and half and he passed the pieces with no problem.

A foster dog that we had knocked over the trash when we weren't home and ate cooked chicken bones! He passed them with no problem - for several days!!

Our late BC, Opie, ate part of a Nylabone tug toy (and successfully passed it but I imagine it was quite painful), as well as a corner of a straw doormat (one of those big thick coir mats), which also passed in one fell swoop. I think he had the world's strongest intestines!

She is still eating and pooping regularly and I haven't seen that plastic chunk come out yet, but maybe we just missed seeing it, anyhow I guess after this many days there should be no reason for concern.

That SOS pad going thru ok amazes me, but what is also amazing is why a dog would even want to eat such a thing as surely it should not have any smell or taste that you would think would attract a dog.

I have to watch her outside because sometimes she will look for twigs and occasionally small stones.

We started letting her chew on rawhide bones because it is the one thing that really keeps her occupied and not figitity when we have her on the bed at night, but we keep a very close watch and anytime it looks like she it getting to where she might chew off a chunk we use scissors to cut off such pieces, she might manage to get some very very small pieces, but we keep watch to avoid her getting any large chunks chewed off.

The dumbest things Quinn ate were bark, sand, dirt, pieces of a variety of toys, and a small SOS pad that hadn't even been used. Usually the stuff passes through him or he throws it up at some point withing a couple of days. The sand and bark caused constipation, especially the sand. Oddly, the SOS pad went through him ok with no damage but I think it burned going down because he got all clingy with me after eating it. Fortunately, I had no idea what he had done until it arrived on the other side and so was spared making frantic phone calls to the vet, late night Googling and worrying about the big dope.

Continue to keep an eye on your dog to make sure she is eating, drinking, eliminating and acting normally. If she refuses food or acts listless, I would contact the vet immediately. I know with my dogs, pieces of toys can sit in their stomach for a couple of days before they toss them back up. This all while eating, playing, pooping and seeming perfectly fine. Dogs are weird that way.

Very few toys are what I consider "Quinn Proof" which actually means "Quinn Highly Reistant." Nothing is ultimately safe from him but I have a few toys that can be left out and it takes long enough for him to wear them down that I am able to replace them before he is swallowing pieces. All other toys are out of his reach unless I am there to supervise play.

aluminum siding ? wow, I used to help install aluminum siding a very long time ago. It is something that some dogs can eat such like chocolate cookies that is known to normally be a problem to dogs and not have any ill effects, but it is better to be on the safe side.

Well, this is not exactly non-food, but almost. My friend's cattle dog ate an entire pound of raw rice, and showed no ill effect. Of course, the same dog ate a whole package of chocolate cookies with no ill effect as well, and was also skilled at tearing the aluminum siding off mobile homes with his teeth (also with absolutely no ill effect). How he managed to do that was always a mystery to us. Never knew such a tough dog in my life as that one.

D'Elle

I read others talking about using cotton balls, so it seems that must be a tried and tested method.

I have seen my dog watch birds (and rabbits and squirrels), but I don't know for sure what she would do if she ever managed to catch one. (she even wants to chase after deer, but outside she is either on a leash or on her trolley line and always supervised when outside)

Well, it didn't come out the other end, but Maddie ate an entire bird's nest complete with baby birds and mama bird . . .

I found it when I got home from work one day (years ago, obviously). Walked in, saw a mess on the floor, noticed an eye . . . went "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat"??? And then realized what the whole mess was. She regurgitated it after I had left for work.

I miss that girl!

Dean ate a Christmas ornament. He got cotton balls soaked in half and half and he passed the pieces with no problem.

A foster dog that we had knocked over the trash when we weren't home and ate cooked chicken bones! He passed them with no problem - for several days!!

Those Nylabones are tough (we have a regular Nylabone) so that must have taken some chewing !

I wonder how well that bitter apple spray works and if it would have worked on that straw doormat, but that is something you would normally think a dog would not be interested in chewing.

Our late BC, Opie, ate part of a Nylabone tug toy (and successfully passed it but I imagine it was quite painful), as well as a corner of a straw doormat (one of those big thick coir mats), which also passed in one fell swoop. I think he had the world's strongest intestines!

Years ago, our Dobie ate a pair of tube socks, one after the other. She wasn't happy about the size of that stool, but she did pass it. My husband didn't even know his socks were missing until they were coming out the other end.

Wow, they need to make socks that taste bad to dogs :)

(and people wonder where their missing socks go, most people think the dryer ate it :)

(did you recycle the socks for your husband to reuse them :)

Years ago, our Dobie ate a pair of tube socks, one after the other. She wasn't happy about the size of that stool, but she did pass it. My husband didn't even know his socks were missing until they were coming out the other end.

ROFLMAO!!!! If you only knew my husband!! If I did that, he would 1)never wear socks again 2)never do laundry in that machine again and 3)never allow any dog loose in the house again. And if I took the time, I could probably come up with a few more never agains quite quickly. He never did do poop watch again and he won't scoop either.

Ha ha !!!!!

hey, you could always have sold them on eBay as the "amazing socks that came out of a dog", as I have heard of people buying some crazy stuff on eBay :)

(just kidding :)

ROFLMAO!!!! If you only knew my husband!! If I did that, he would 1)never wear socks again 2)never do laundry in that machine again and 3)never allow any dog loose in the house again. And if I took the time, I could probably come up with a few more never agains quite quickly. He never did do poop watch again and he won't scoop either.

Wow. The list is long: Tobey has eaten the head of a toothbrush, the top of a Dunkin Donuts cream cheese container (the foil), parts of plastic bags, DW underwears, some Styrofoam from an almost complete fettuccine Alfredo take home that I really wanted, parts of toys, paper towels, a twix wrapper, tampons, candles and things I'm not even aware of.

The only time he has gone to the vet was when he ate a pack of trident out of my mother in laws purse and he ate enough for it just to be borderline toxic so we took him to have his blood sugar checked and made to vomit.

My girls? They never eat anything non-food. Such a weird house but if you have BC's I guess that goes with the territory.

I had an eight month old GSD puppy who ate a bolt snap (the silver thing that attaches a leash to a collar.) I honestly couldn't believe he ate it, but when I absolutely could not find it, I took him to the vet and there it was...glowing on the xray. Vet told me not to worry too much about it, feed him some mashed potatoes and watch for it. Sure enough, the next morning there it was...and he was no worse off for it coming out!!