BC Boards

Throwing Up Bile

Keegan's Mom

Should I be worried? And who is it?

Here is the situation. Early Monday morning, Keegan got up in our hotel room to throw up. He threw up twice, bile only.

Didn't think anything of it. Brian brought him home on Tuesday. Someone (can't tell who since we have 4 animals indoors) threw up bile again this morning. Then I noticed that someone threw up bile when I got home in the kitchen.

I can only assume it is Keegan since he threw up at the hotel and I witnessed it.

At Becca's on Friday night, he was drooling excessively, but we thought maybe because he smelled the sheep.

He has been acting a little sluggish, but we thought that might be because we have changed our lives drastically by me working away from home all week.

Any thoughts? I know this isn't much to go off of, but I am still a little worried about whoever it is throwing up. And from the amount, I can pretty much narrow it down to the dogs rahter than the cats. And to boot, the cats throw up usually contains some foreign objects or fur.

Thanks in advance.

In and of itself, throwing up bile a couple of times is not a big deal, but if you have a gut feeling that something just isn't right, I'd go to the vet. You know your dog better than anyone else. In my experience, gut feelings are best acted upon.

Me too. (But then you know I'm the vet's best friend ... as in pay for extensions, holidays etc.) But seriously - the odd throw up of bile now and again is not a big worry for me, but I'd worry if it became more regular, and particularly if you felt that Keegan was a bit 'off' anyway.

(This is from a person who when she took her dog to the vet one time after describing symptoms over the phone when making the appointment, found that on the computer, the receptionist had listed "depressed dog"!)

Drooling may be a sign of nausea (it can also be a sign of stress, as can vomiting, but now that you're back home but have persistent signs, I'd be leaning toward nausea being the source of the drooling.) It is somewhat more likely that Keegan is still vomiting than that another dog has taken it up, but it's not proof; can you isolate the dogs when they're unattended (as in, there's vomit in the mudroom where Keegan was, and no other dogs had access; therefore Keegan is the one vomiting)?

As usual, Melanie's advice (and by extension, Barb's) is good - if you feel like something's off, especially in view of the persistence of the vomiting, I'd see your vet. Occasional pukiness is kinda part of being a dog, but if it's ongoing and there are other symptoms, more might be happening. Could just be my personal bias, of course, :rolleyes: but I'd think about getting a check up, plus or minus bloods. Also, part of the MDB for a vomiting dog is a fecal exam, so you might want to bring in a poop sample; even if it looks perfectly normal, there may be luking parasites that could be leading to the vomiting.

JMO.

Thanks guys. I will monitor and separate this weekend when not around them.

Come to think of it...the one in the kitchen had to have been Keegan because we were eating dinner out and Tess was in her crate.

If things persist then we will probably take Keegan to the vet on Monday. I don't usually worry about a dog puking here and there but they don't usually vomit this much in one week and all bile.

My Celt experienced this occasionally in the morning when he was younger. I passed it off as "empty tummy spit up". It stopped completely after he hacked up a huge wad of fibers (tennis ball, stuffed animal, tug rope, etc.) with some bits of chewed plastic toy enmeshed in them.

I think that Celt, a swallower of stuff, had swallowed so much inedible materials (just a bit at a time) that it caused this "sausage" of indigestible stuff that would occasionally "block" the outlet from the stomach, and he would retch.

Once he got rid of this potentially-lethal mass, the occasional bile-barfing stopped. I also removed all tennis balls, tug ropes, stuffed toys, etc., from his access. He can only play with anything suspect under direct supervision (fetch or tug only, and no chewing at all).

This may not have anything to do with Keegan's problem but I wouldn't rule it out, especially if Keegan chews on similar materials and is a swallower like Celt is. After all, they are related! I would run Keegan by the vet if I were you, considering what happened to Celt.

Best wishes in resolving this problem. I hope it's nothing serious.

Rachel - All Celt was throwing up on the fairly regular occasional morning was clear liquid. It was not even colored. He would do this about once every few weeks, early in the day (on an empty stomach before morning biscuit).

Since he upchucked that wad of fibers, he has not done this any more.

I think the difference between Celt and Megan is that, while both chew on stuff, Celt tends to swallow fibers and Megan is quite meticulous (sp?) about spitting them out.

There have been a number of other folks on the boards with the "empty tummy" spitting-up so it is hopefully nothing more than that.

Best wishes!

With 4 dogs, 2 crated and 2 free, gated in the living room, we were having about 2-3 vomits a week. I kept persisting with the vet about this because it didn't seem right. I finally requested a general de-wormer and poof, no more vomitting. While they are all on year-round heartworm, I was told by the vet that there are some worms/organisms that the monthly pills do not get.

Just my 2 cents.

That's good news, Rachel.

I thought of you the other night - Kirra threw up in the middle of the night(2 apricot stones - grrrr), then Fergus threw up in the morning - whole bunch of grass. In fact, now I think about it, there's been a bit of it lately -Fergus threw up his dinner another night - but that was just gulping, I guess, since he ate it back up again (I know, TMI.)

Maybe it's the warm/hot weather - sorry - couldn't resist that one. You can get your own back when your summer comes.