BC Boards

Is Trifexis safe?

There is a huge uproar on the internet about Trifexis. People are reporting that it is not safe and to not give it to your dogs. So far I have heard that is kills dogs, that it causes kidney or liver failure in puppies and in old dogs, that it cause siezures and on and on and on.

I looked at Askavet.com and that vet said she has been using it with good results.

Sometimes this sort of thing is really just a bunch of stuff put out by a rival company so you really can't just believe it because it says it on Facebook.

My dogs are on this stuff and have done great.

Anybody know any more?

I have three dogs that never had any problems with it and one that it caused seizures in. The one that had seizures had epilepsy already, and the drug does have a warning against using it for seizure dogs, but I had been successfully using the 2 drugs seperately for quite some time before Trifexis came out so my vet was not concerned that Buddy would have a problem with it. He never had seizures immediately or even soon after we gave it, but 2 weeks later, he went from being stable to being uncontrolled and we never really got good control of his seizures again after that. It took me a couple months to connect the use of Trifexis to seizures happening 2 weeks later, but it happened like that every time I gave it.

I just talked to my vet. They have the largest clinic North of River in KC with thousands of dogs and he said they have not had one incidence of anything with this drug.

He said that you need to give it with food because it can cause stomach upset. And that is the one thing that they have heard about it.

He also said that they wouldn't be selling any product that had the side effects that this drug has been charged with having.

You know, this could simply be a competitor that has put out a lot of untrue negative stuff about the produce over on a Facebook page. I think that's where the whole thing actually started. It's all heresay from unidentified people. Didn't see anything out there from someone who would really know what is going on.

I just had to run one of my customers dog to the vet. It's another fairly good sized clinic here North of the River. So I asked about Trifexis. They haven't had any problem with it at all. The vet said the same thing as my vet. It can cause stomach upset and should be given with food. And they had a dog or two that still got upset stomach even with food and they had to switch them to Heartguard.

I would think that this product is causing huge problems that the vets would have at least heard about it.

Unless it was purchased online somewhere Trifexis should be perfectly safe. I use it on all my dogs. The FDA issued a warning about finding expired and counterfeit pet drugs being sold online.

Not the same drug at all but I saw where Amazon was selling PhyCox. PhyCox is only sold to veterinarians and the company will not guarantee any of their product sold online. I understand at least one dog was seriously injured eating "PhyCox" purchased online. It turned out to be black rubber molded to look like the PhyCox supplement. The canister was a dead ringer for the real PhyCox.

I have been giving Trifexis to both my BC's on a monthly basis since at least Aug 2011 when I adopted my younger BC. Neither my senior dog (almost 14) nor my younger dog (2 1/2) have had any problems with it. Trifexis works. The only problem I have had with it, is my dogs will not eat it while it is in pill form. I have to crush it up and mix it with canned food to get them to eat it.

I had to quit using the topical type treatments as I, not my dogs, was having a reaction to it.