BC Boards

Pads too smooth?

Is there anything I can do to keep him from sliding around? I'm afraid he's going to hurt himself when he starts zipping around, or rather when he tries to stop. He slides on everything--carpet, tile, even sidewalks! We had the hair between the pads trimmed, thinking that was the problem but it obviously wasn't. Will the pads toughen up as we continue to walk him? :blink:

Here is a website that advertises a pad toughener. I have used the product, and view it as a treatment to toughen soft pads, in order to prevent abrasion and cuts. It works for that purpose, and I recommend it. The product, additionally, promotes healing after an injury.

http://www.handhills.com/pad_healer.html

I am not sure what a person would use to actually prevent slipping/sliding on smooth surfaces. IMO, lots of walking/running and other exercise on grassy and bare-ground surfaces will help firm-up his pads, so that slips do not produce injuries.

Slices and abrasions to pads are not uncommon among Border Collies, and other active breeds. Correct me if I'm wrong, but guessing your dog is under a year old, demonstrating over-the-top stop/go energy. If that is the case, he will tend to gather himself, and become more cautious of his body as time goes by. Some dog personalities continue to be a little reckless, and having a first aid kit handy becomes a necessity.

Best wishes with that. Others here on the BC Board may have suggestions. -- Kind Regards, TEC

Sounds like my Wick when she was young. She had two speeds - flatoutfast and slide. Over the years she learned how to slow down w/o sliding, but for awhile she was our little shortstop. Didn't cause her any harm that I recall.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but guessing your dog is under a year old, demonstrating over-the-top stop/go energy. If that is the case, he will tend to gather himself, and become more cautious of his body as time goes by. Some dog personalities continue to be a little reckless, and having a first aid kit handy becomes a necessity.

Best wishes with that. Others here on the BC Board may have suggestions. -- Kind Regards, TEC

Thank you for the link to the web site. I'll definitely check it out.

Actually, Daniel is a ten year old Rough Collie we adopted in December. LOL. You'd never know it to see him race around the back yard or through the house when he gets the zoomies.

My profile pic is our Border Collie, Scooter, who we had to have euthanized a year ago after he attacked me out of the blue. Vet said probably a brain tumor. Daniel has really helped with the healing process. :)

Interesting that Daniel is slipping on sidewalk. I always that that was pretty rough.

I saw a product that is adhesive-backed to stick to the dog's paws and it is supposed to prevent slipping. If I remember correctly, the material was cut into shapes appropriate for sticking on individual pads. I can't remember exactly where I saw it, but maybe it was Dr. Fosters and Smith?? Not sure how long it is supposed to last.

Jovi

Is he slipping when he's walking? or turning? or running? or..?? Has he always done this?

All of the above, but mostly when running, although he doesn't seem to do it when going up and down the stairs, nor on grass. It's odd. I don't want to inhibit his enthusiasm for life, which he seems to have recently discovered, but I don't want him to injure himself either. And yes, he's done this ever since we got him in December but it wasn't as noticeable because he didn't do much but sleep for the first month or so. :unsure:

It sounds to me like it's not a pad problem but a muscle tone problem. He's an old dog, and if his feet are slipping out from under him it's likely because he doesn't have the muscle strength/tone to control his legs as well as a younger dog.

RDM

Archived