BC Boards

Blistered and Peeling Paws

Guest maya's mom

Guest maya's mom

I feel soooooo bad. Our 7 month old puppy, Maya, went over to her "grandparents" house today to be introduced to a swimming pool. Little did we know that the hot concrete, and her running in circles on it (!), would cause her paw pads to blister and have skin (?) peeling from them. I guess I should have known this would happen, but this is our first puppy, so I've never experienced this, plus, she walks in our neighborhood every night, and plays numerous other places, so I felt that her paws were already becoming callused, or hardened. I applied vaseline to them and per the vet's suggestion, clipped away the skin that was barley attached. Does anyone have any other suggestions for what will heal her the quickest? She doesn't seem to be in pain, she is walking around our home, and didn't even care when I clipped that skin from her pads. Also, how long should I limit her activity? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

post-8715-1216245188_thumb.jpg

Don't feel bad, I did the exact same thing to Jade about a month ago and felt just plain awful about it. A lot of people here will suggest bag balm for her feet, and they'll have a lot more suggestions too. I went to PetSmart and bought "Nu-Balm Creme" for Jade's feet, and put socks on her- see below:

2597886146_98b678a8d8.jpg

Jade got a kick out of the socks- the front ones fell off right away, but they weren't as bad as the back ones. Don't feel bad about this, she'll heal faster than you think! :rolleyes:

Maya is a cutie! Good luck with her!

I would say that, if she is showing no signs of pain walking, that you should just limit her activity (no running, avoid concrete/pavement/hard, scratchy surfaces), and keep an eye on the pads to watch for any signs of infection or seepage.

If you see any cracking or seepage, you might want to rub in some ointment (like the Vaseline) but without any signs like that, I would avoid putting on any ointment as it might just tend to soften up the pads.

This can be a very painful condition (my one dog ripped off pad surfaces and took a couple of nails down below the quick chasing balls on rough pavement with sand on it) and it's fortunate if your pup isn't experiencing any pain. A lesson learned, nevertheless!

Best wishes!

Guest maya's mom

Well, after being home a few hours and laying around, now when Maya gets up, she is limping. She seems to be in pain when she is walking, which is making me feel horrible. I spoke to the vet and they told me I could give one 81mg aspirin twice a day, and to out vaseline on the pads. I guess there is nothing else I can do but limit her activity and wait it out. I feel so bad b/c she is just laying around tonight, and never since I have gotten this dog, back in February at 8weeks, has she EVER just layed around at night! I am sure you all know what I mean! But, thanks for the comments so far, and anything else would be appreciated.

Ah, now that the pain has hit, she is feeling down. Have her take it easy (and she's already realizing that on her own), keep up the Vaseline as the vet recommends it, and enjoy some extra cuddle time. You will probably be surprised at how fast she will bounce back because they tend to heal pretty quickly.

Poor baby!