BC Boards

Building endurance in a dog..

Ok, I need some help from those of you who work your dogs. I have an Aussie who is a SAR dog. He is to a point in his training where he needs to start building on his endurance in the field. He does well for about 30 minutes and then he starts to slow down and get lazy. What are some activities we can do to build his endurance level? It has been suggested that we do swimming, however that takes a 20 min car drive and is just not practical for an everyday exercise. I walk with him twice a day, but he out paces me so it is not hard for him. I need some advice from those of you who need your dog to be able to work for longer periods of time and keep up the pace. I am on 10 acres and have the empty 10 next door available, so space is not an issue. Any ideas?

Guest LJS1993
Ok, I need some help from those of you who work your dogs. I have an Aussie who is a SAR dog. He is to a point in his training where he needs to start building on his endurance in the field. He does well for about 30 minutes and then he starts to slow down and get lazy. What are some activities we can do to build his endurance level? It has been suggested that we do swimming, however that takes a 20 min car drive and is just not practical for an everyday exercise. I walk with him twice a day, but he out paces me so it is not hard for him. I need some advice from those of you who need your dog to be able to work for longer periods of time and keep up the pace. I am on 10 acres and have the empty 10 next door available, so space is not an issue. Any ideas?

I'm no expert but cycling could work. It could build up your Aussie's cardio in order to get that endurance you are looking for.

Cycling is a good option. Build up gradually. Lots of folks who do rescue, protection, and any other sundry stuff with dogs to this- they even have endurance tests where the handler rides a bike and the dog runs alongside. They have vets at set up stations so that they can check the heart rate, and either stop the dog, or okay it along the way- like mushing.

Julie

When Annie was in rehab due to a separated growth plate, we were told that the best way to build strength and endurance was through aquatherapy (aka, swimming). Initially, we took her to a specialized facility that had a submerged treadmill, but this was only for a limited time (due to the expense) for the therapy period specified by our vet. Like you, my ideal spot for taking her swimming is about 20 minutes away, but I still try to take her at least once a week (more when I am on vacation) to swim in the stream. She loves the experience, and it helps to keep her fit and trim, as well as provide strengthening for her muscles.

On a daily basis, Annie (who is one of those BC's that is ball-fascinated) gets to play ball outdoors with DW several times a day, and with me in the evening. We use a soft rubber inflatable ball (we are wary of tennis balls because of the damage it can do to teeth, particularly when caught on the fly), and a lacrosse stick to launch it. The launch distance generated by the lacrosse stick mandates plenty of running distance, and this also helps with her conditioning. We play until she shows evidence of tiring (a particular concern in hot weather), then let her drink, pee, and rest. Important: NO ball playing within an hour after eating in hot weather!

I'm liking the bike idea. I have a 1/4 mile track in the woods that we walk. I could ride it instead and it is cooler in the woods. We do play ball and fetch alot, but he needs to be a marathoner, not a sprinter, like he is now. I really think I like the bike idea. It will be good for both of us. I can keep up with him on a bike! :rolleyes: Some days I wish I had 4 legs instead of 2. We will keep the swimming as part of it, just not everyday. Thanks guys.

Guest LJS1993
Cycling is a good option. Build up gradually. Lots of folks who do rescue, protection, and any other sundry stuff with dogs to this- they even have endurance tests where the handler rides a bike and the dog runs alongside. They have vets at set up stations so that they can check the heart rate, and either stop the dog, or okay it along the way- like mushing.

Julie

I say biking because it could also be very fun, as could swimming. However, don't SAR dogs do a lot of trail walking, going up hills and over rough obstacles? Swimming is great, however much like humans who are preparing for the Sheriffs dept, Fire, etc... you have task specific duties you must perform, and running/trotting/traversing ground is something a SAR dog might have to do. So I figure a dog trotting next to it's owner while cycling on dirt would be great. Just a thought.

Guest LJS1993
Lj, You are correct. I also think this is why the biking will work great. He needs a good steady long term trot. :rolleyes:

You'll have a blast. It is so cool to see Freckles put her head down and start plodding as we go along. It's like she has trot mode and sprint mode. For fun now and then I will really push it and she will go into sprint mode, then a nice easy, slow, trot. Kind of like doing breakdowns on a track.

I think biking would be great, and you've got it: trotting. I see way too many folks riding around here with their dogs in a full gallop trying to keep up. I would think varying speed would be good too - a short sprint, a gradual slow down, maybe even to a walk, then building back up to a trot, etc. Obviously a dirt path would be better than asphalt or sidewalk!

Like humans, I think dogs need a variety of exercises. You biking/dog trotting is good for cardiovascular. Hill-climbing is good for muscle development. www.cleanrun.com now has a DVD (and maybe a book too?) on strengthening dogs for agility - I'm sure the same exercises would be good for a SAR dog, even though agility dogs do more short sprints. (It is mostly for muscle development, balance, and such.) It's done by a canine physical therapist.

One very simple one that you can do a lot is to have the dog sit; stand up on rear legs; then sit down again. Mine can do the first two, but sitting down again takes a LOT of muscle control. We're working on it!

OK, I admit: I saw a link not long ago that I checked out, but decided NOT to make this leap - for a dog treadmill. As Bustopher mentioned, an underwater treadmill is great - but the closest one to me is over 200 miles away, and they cost thousands. The treadmill is at www.pawwws.com (yep, three "w"s). It costs "only" $600 for the smaller one (BC size) and $800 for the larger one. I guess there's a time and place for this - but I figure I need the exercise as much or more than my dogs, so I'd best go along outdoors with them!

And oh, it's pretty obvious....but keeping the dog's weight down is also important.

Good on you for (1) doing SAR and (2) thinking about keeping your dog fit!

diane

Amy, we have a couple things in common. I know of one other owner with a Ruger but I don't think he was from Tennessee. You don't need to worry about endurance. As hot as the weather has been, my Ruger wears out in about 10 minutes during our Frisbee sessions. He can go longer but he will stop and rest then get going again. It is simply too hot and humid. You try running around in a fur coat.

You will have a different dog in the fall. He will be full of it and won't run out of energy.

Yep - I'd go with the biking. And add - get yourself a little bike computer/speedo/distance thingy, so you can check your speed, and as others have said, build in some variable speeds. Trotting is ideal - but it was interesting last year when I was training for an endurance test with friends, to see how different dogs had different gait capabilities. We found by gradually increasing speed and distance, we could get the dogs to extend the speed range over which they could maintain a trot before breaking into a canter.

We mostly trained about 4 miles at a time - sometimes 5 and occasionally 6 - and averaged abou 7 miles an hour. Couple of things to be aware of - getting pads hardened up gradually - using different surfaces, and warm up and warm down - and of course, hydration - before, during and after the exercise.

The dogs and I still go for a bike ride sometimes - has to be a nice day though now. :rolleyes:

Amy, we have a couple things in common. I know of one other owner with a Ruger but I don't think he was from Tennessee. You don't need to worry about endurance. As hot as the weather has been, my Ruger wears out in about 10 minutes during our Frisbee sessions. He can go longer but he will stop and rest then get going again. It is simply too hot and humid. You try running around in a fur coat.

You will have a different dog in the fall. He will be full of it and won't run out of energy.

The only problem is you need endurance in a SAR dog. You need to prepare them as much as possible for conditions that they may be working in. The better you prepare, the better they can do their job when it needs doing.

After reading this thread, I'm getting my bike out. I've been thinking about ways to build up Kipp's endurance, and biking should be perfect.

Guest LJS1993
The only problem is you need endurance in a SAR dog. You need to prepare them as much as possible for conditions that they may be working in. The better you prepare, the better they can do their job when it needs doing.

After reading this thread, I'm getting my bike out. I've been thinking about ways to build up Kipp's endurance, and biking should be perfect.

Yes, I consider SAR dogs kind of like the fire fighters of the dog world. They need to be ready to perform in all conditions whether hot or cold, dry or muggy, sleet or rain, even snow. I wonder if any people train their dogs cardio in cold conditions strictly for preparation.

When I first got Ruger I overdid one of our early frisbee sessions. When we came inside he threw up some nasty looking stuff. I vowed I would never do it again. Its 10:30 AM and the current weather conditions are 51% humidity and 87 degrees. Its supposed to get to 97 this afternoon. The humidity is low because it is dry and we haven't had any decent rain in several weeks.

Go ahead and hook your dog to a bike and go for a four mile ride. The vet fee for animal disposal is about $25.

Wait till October when it cools off. By November or December you can go for your bike rides and he will still be ready to play when you get back to the house.

I wonder if any people train their dogs cardio in cold conditions strictly for preparation.

In preparation for dogsled races :rolleyes:

I run my dogs on the road and trails on their training rig any time the weather is about 10C (50F) and lower. It's got a cycling computer mounted on it that keeps track of my distance, current speed, max. speed, avg. speed etc. When there's snow of course I use the sled and the temps can get way down there. I think my favourite time for working the dogs is when it's nice and sunny and the temperature is about -10C to -15C (14F to 5F). That's cold enough to be a dry cold, not a damp cold, but it's not super freezing.

Guest LJS1993
When I first got Ruger I overdid one of our early frisbee sessions. When we came inside he threw up some nasty looking stuff. I vowed I would never do it again. Its 10:30 AM and the current weather conditions are 51% humidity and 87 degrees. Its supposed to get to 97 this afternoon. The humidity is low because it is dry and we haven't had any decent rain in several weeks.

Go ahead and hook your dog to a bike and go for a four mile ride. The vet fee for animal disposal is about $25.

Wait till October when it cools off. By November or December you can go for your bike rides and he will still be ready to play when you get back to the house.

I don't think the owner said anything about a four mile ride. If they did, then no way, that is too far. Furthermore I don't think anyone is thinking about pushing any dog to the point of "animal disposal" fees. Out here it is about 95 degrees at six o'clock in the evening. I've taken Freckles for a mile or two ride with no ill effects. Granted we stop, take water breaks, walk, etc..... I check her pads, give her days off with very light exercise. Out here it is always hot, so if I waited for the weather to improve I would never exercise her. I think rescue dogs must be pushed to some extent since they are out to save lives which is a huge responsibility. Last thing she needs is a pampered dog out on some rugged trail. Of course I could be wrong, I'm not a SAR expert by any push of the imagination.

Guest LJS1993
In preparation for dogsled races :rolleyes:

I run my dogs on the road and trails on their training rig any time the weather is about 10C (50F) and lower. It's got a cycling computer mounted on it that keeps track of my distance, current speed, max. speed, avg. speed etc. When there's snow of course I use the sled and the temps can get way down there. I think my favourite time for working the dogs is when it's nice and sunny and the temperature is about -10C to -15C (14F to 5F). That's cold enough to be a dry cold, not a damp cold, but it's not super freezing.

Dear Lord that is some crazy cold. Out here in the low desert cold to me is 30 degrees in the dead of our winter. I cannot imagine functioning in 14 degree frost. Those have to be some tough dogs you have there.

[quote

Sheesh, where did that come from?

Rugers Dad, I understand that you're concerned but, if you slowly build your dog's endurance, the better your dog will handle working in the heat (or cold). And if you're in SAR you really don't have the option of just waiting until fall to work your dog. Of course you don't start out with a 4 mile run in the middle of the day. And even when it gets to 95 and high humidity here, I can still and go biking with my dog at 6am or 9pm when it's a little cooler.

Amy, you may also want to check out this product K9 Energy Edge

Dear Lord that is some crazy cold. Out here in the low desert cold to me is 30 degrees in the dead of our winter. I cannot imagine functioning in 14 degree frost. Those have to be some tough dogs you have there.

Actually those are pretty moderate winter temperatures here. Nights can get much colder (easily down to -10 to -15F) plus there are sometimes cold snaps where the temps stay low all day as well, especially if there's a stiff wind blowing and you consider the wind chill. In the temperatures I mentioned before, it's nothing for me to take off my coat when I'm snowshoeing to pack my trail for sledding, when you're active you really generate quite a bit of heat which you have to be careful of. You really don't want to work up a sweat and then stand around in the colder temperatures. The dogs really enjoy the colder weather, they're happy to stay out with me for hours playing in the snow. Even my pups I adopted from New Orleans last year. I would have thought they might like the warmer weather better but they don't. Thunder takes a swim in my horse trough twice daily in the heat, and when it starts to get cold in the fall and ice forms on puddles in my fields he'll break the ice to lay down in the deepest part after running around playing. But you should understand that, you're the guy who likes ice cold showers right? :rolleyes:

I can't even imagine living in the desert, I'm already waiting for the cooler fall weather and winter to arrive.

I used cycling to build Happys endurance, I took her out every single day, running her at high speeds, it incresed her endarence and her speed. to this day she is almost 7 years old and when I took Happy and Leck biking together today, by the end, Leck(1 year old) was laggng quit badley, while Happy was tired, she had no trouble keeping up.

About a month ago I took Ruger to the dog park to mess around with their new agility equipment and play some frisbee. It was fairly early in the morning. The agility equipment is fairly simple with a tunnel, a couple of hurdles, a ring and an inverted V platform. We worked on the agility equipment for 15 or 20 minutes. Nothing really strenuous because neither of us really know agility that well.

Afterwards I soaked his head and tried to play some frisbee. That went over like a lead balloon and he is frisbee obsessed. I couldn't get him to follow directions or make very good catches. He was wiped out. I called it quits.

Ruger was invited to a birthday party that started at noon today. It was flat hot and the kids loved playing with him. I kept him soaked the whole time. He did a lot better and had much more energy. He would get worn out and go lie in the shade for a couple of minutes and then bring the frisbee back to someone. This went on for well over an hour.

It makes no sense to me to push a dog. Granted mine are not working dogs so I am sure there are dogs in greater shape. I can't wait for fall. I only like the hot weather when I am at the beach. :rolleyes:

In spring (edited), I start prepping my dogs for the heat gradually. I choose hot time of day and let them fetch for 3-5 minutes straight in heat and let them cool down on their own in shade. When they stop puffing, I do another short fetch session, then rest etc. Slowly bring the duration up. But I don't let them do the search work in the heat. As you know, their noses and the scent work better in the morning and at night. The scent tends to rise during the day and nose work is triple harder in hot temperture without moisture and breeze. To best use their ability we avoid the heat as much as possible for SAR work & training. Of course we don't always have the luxury... We do bike ride but only in the shade and on dirt road.

Actually those are pretty moderate winter temperatures here.

Canadians and Americans have different views on what constitutes moderate weather, as evidenced by the following Canadian temperature chart:

50° Fahrenheit (10° C) Californians shiver uncontrollably; Canadians plant gardens.

35° Fahrenheit (1.6° C) American cars won't start; Canadians drive with the windows down.

32° Fahrenheit (0° C) American water freezes; Canadian water gets thicker.

0° Fahrenheit (-17.9° C) New York City landlords finally turn on the heat; Canadians have the last barbecue of the season.

-60° Fahrenheit (-51° C) Mt. St. Helens freezes; Canadian Girl Guides sell cookies door-to-door.

-100° Fahrenheit (-73° C) Santa Claus abandons the North Pole; Ottawa Canal opens for skating.

-173° Fahrenheit (-114° C) Ethyl alcohol freezes, Canadians get frustrated when they can't thaw the keg.

-460° Fahrenheit (-273° C) Absolute zero; all atomic motion stops, Canadians start saying "Cold, eh?"

-500° Fahrenheit (-295° C) Hell freezes over; Ottawa Senators win Stanley Cup.