BC Boards

Neighbor Provoking Dog - Barking, etc

I am new to the board, but so far I haven't seen anything dealing quite with this problem, so I figured I'd ask. We have a border collie who's 9 years old, and we've never had a problem with her "protecting our property." We moved to a new place in the last 3 years or so, but are set up with an electric fence and such, and let the dog out for bathroom breaks, getting fresh air, etc when my mother works (she works at home, but can't take time out to be with the dog when she's out for bathroom, etc).

Recently though, a "neighbor" of ours who works next door (we're next to a business park) has decided it would be fun to take some time off from work when our dog is out, walk around to where he can see our property (and the dog) very clearly (with no obstacles between he and our property, except the electric fence) and provoke our dog. He will growl and bark at her, provoking her to growl and bark back at him. We expect he wants a law suit out of it, but who knows for sure.

Once when she was out without her collar on for the electric fence, she crossed the fence line and we had to bring her back in, but she only crossed it when this man was provoking/barking/growling at her.

That is basically the background to the situation. Has anyone else had this problem before? Even with regular neighbors or people walking down the street, etc? We're not sure what to do, if we should write a letter to the managers of the business development about the man provoking our dog, etc, so we're looking for any help.

I've also begun a simple training regiment for our dog, clicker training and starting with simple commands so we can get them on command (sit, come, stay, etc) because we've never really done formal training before (it was never my dog, but now its a family ordeal with this new man from next door) and expect a reasonably consistent response. I'm not sure how to possibly stop her from barking/overprotecting our property (chasing anyone who even comes near it, whether on the street, across the street, or next door like this guy) or any other possibility.

If anyone has any information that could help us out, that'd be great, and I'd love to hear it. If something like this has already been answered, i'd be happy to go read the other thread also, if someone points the way. Thanks for everyone's time.

I would not let her outside unsupervised. Period. The guy is being a total jerk and you've got to protect her from idiots like that. Let her out in the morning, at lunch break and then spend quality time with her outdoors in the evenings. Just make sure you are there to supervise. I'd also keep a camera on hand in case he tried to tease her with you out there so you have some proof of what is going on. But I imagine if someone is out there he'll leave her alone.

You could write a letter, but chances are it would not do any good, at least not before he provoked your dog into doing something to him.

I'd call the police if someone were provoking my dog in such a way on my own property line.

I guess the main problem is that it isn't on our property line. He makes sure he is standing on the business park's property, just beyond ours, and provokes our dog from there, or else we would be calling the cops for tresspassing.

We were thinking of writing a letter just to get it on record that someone is provoking our dog, etc., but like it was mentioned, it probably won't do much.

Still, there might be some law that might cover this. Harassment or something. Just because he is not on your property physically doesn't mean that he can do whatever he wants.

Is privacy fencing an option? That would probably be my next step if there really were no legal recourse.

Also, I wouldn't leave the dog unattended.

I would definitely get pictures or videos of him doing it, so you have proof. I don't know the laws where you're at, but where I am, there isn't anything that can really be done. We had that problem with our neighbor's child. Our fences are 2' apart and their little boy was hitting the fence with a bat, yelling at our dogs, running along the fence line, etc. This absolutely threw our crew into a barking and lunging uproar. I had never seen our dogs lunge at anything until then, so I knew they were getting really upset. He wouldn't do it if I was out there, but I couldn't always be outside with them, because there were times that I would be trying to get the baby fed and the dogs were needing out. I talked to the local shelter about it and was told that since he was on their property, there was nothing I could do other than talk to the parents. I was told that I could call the police, but they wouldn't do anything more than likely. Lucky for us, the parents are around our age and nice people. They talked to their son and even brought him over and made him apologize to us for harrassing the dogs. We haven't had a problem with him since.

I actually had this happen to me with my last Border Collie. Not long after we moved to our current home the teenage to early 20's son behind us tried to provoke my late Border Skyler by stomping his foot toward him and growling. Sky was a great dog and stayed in the yard but barked and snarled at him with a viciousness I had rarely seen him do - only when I was threatened. What the neighbor didnt know was that I was in the yard just around the corner doing yard work. I came around the corner to see what was happening and couldnt believe what I was seeing.

Im not one for aggressive behavior in the least but Im VERY protective when it came to Skyler. I told Skyler "enough" and he came to me and sat. I then proceeded to tell him that you are making one heck of an impression to your new neighbor. I follwed by saying I encouge you to come into my yard trying that with me and believe me when I tell you that I wont have the restraint that my dog has. He said nothing and immediately walked inside. Since then he has never done it again and wont even so much as look at me.

So my suggestion to you is to confront this person and state that you have already contacted the police making a statement and will be talking to his boss by the end of the day. I would follow through on it as well.

I wonder if you could talk to this man? Seems to me there are a number of people in the world who think that fake-barking and growling at dogs is AMUSING to both themselves and the dogs. Honestly, I think some people think it's a funny way of interacting, and don't get that the dogs find it stressful and threatening. It's like they think getting a dog to bark at them is having a conversation with the dog.

My dog-clueless brother-in-law, who has a yappy dog himself, will immediately start saying a loud, "BOW WOW WOW" when the dogs get going. It instigates both his dog, who can handle getting revved up, and my dog, who is reactive and cannot handle it. I just move in and do a quick calm and retreat with my dog; my BIL isn't too capable of learning new behaviors. :rolleyes:

Mary

One of my old neighbors used to tease my Siamese cat through the window. One day the man walked into my house unannounced (his wife was visiting with me); he got halfway across the kitchen and was attacked by the snarling cat. I'd be worried that your dog may just decide to charge through the fence in spite of the electricity if he gets upset enough. Then your family would probably be liable for any damages. Don't leave him out unattended.

Barb S

VIDEOTAPE!!!!!!!! I bought a video camera just for this sort of thing (well, that and to record my dogs) :rolleyes: . Get him on video tape and call the police. Tell them that there is a lunatic acting completely nuts near your property. Show them the video. You need to stop this now. It will mess too much with your dog's head- she may become more aggressive, and eventually bite this guy, and then you can be sued. People who are like this don't usually go away, unless the law makes them.

Document every incident in writing, date, time, how long, exactly what he's doing and saying. Even though it's been going on a while write down what you remember. If for any reason you have to have some kind of confrontation with this moron you will have a much stronger position if you have it in writing like this and is less likely to look like your word against his.

Then I would go ask him what his point is, you might not be able to have a conversation with him and get it resolved but you can try to see if he's able to be reasoned with and you might be able to find out his name, where he works etc too. Take someone with you if you can for a witness too.

Is an electric fence your only choice there? A privacy fence as suggested would be a great help to you and your dog because you really can't allow this to go on as you know. Good luck with it, I know it's difficult to feel like you're in your own home, minding your own business and are being assaulted like this.

Suzanne

ETA: and you can go to http://rottenneighbor.com/ to post about him :rolleyes:

I definitely agree with the majority of the board who say to document it. It's perfectly legal (I think...) to have cameras on your property line. That way, if he is trying for a lawsuit, you'll have a background of proof of harassment. I don't think it would hurt, either, to put a police report in. Any kind of documentation would help. Also, I'd just go and yell at the guy...people like that really piss me off.

There have already been excellent suggestions about filming the individual. You could use a camcorder, or the video option on your digital camera (if you have this available). Even if the police cannot initally intervene, the video evidence could be sufficient to obtain a restraining order from the courts, after which the police can become involved. The video evidence could also come in handy if there is some form of legal action at a later date. If the individual questions why you are filming him, tell him; this might be enough in and of itself to convince him to cease and desist. (Many people might be embarrassed about having a restraining order issued against them, and would prefer to avoid such a reputation.)

I definitely agree with the majority of the board who say to document it. It's perfectly legal (I think...) to have cameras on your property line. That way, if he is trying for a lawsuit, you'll have a background of proof of harassment. I don't think it would hurt, either, to put a police report in. Any kind of documentation would help. Also, I'd just go and yell at the guy...people like that really piss me off.

PO'd or not...I wouldn't engage this person by yelling. Stay calm and ask why? are you doing this? Have a calm person with you. Keep your dog safe. Don't confront this person in front of his boss, but tell him his behavior reflects on his company's reputation. I lived next door to a man who's son shot my car up with a 22 and shot into the house across the street. He had a pit bull at one time that I taught my children to respect and ignore. When the boy grew up, he called the police on ME for my dogs barking and waking up his baby. Glad to be out of the 'Hood. But I kept my sanity and dignity.

Is privacy fencing an option? That would probably be my next step if there really were no legal recourse.

Also, I wouldn't leave the dog unattended

Isnt it a shame that as a race we have come so far, and yet, a person still cant let thier dog out in their own back yard without having to deal with these issues. Personally, I would confront this individual, and let him know under no uncertin terms, that his actions are NOT appreciated, and will be delt with through the appropreiate measures if He doesnt ceast and disist immediatly. Only a coward would stoop so low as to get his thrills by teasing a dog and trying to get it zapped by provolking it to go through the electric fence. He probably pulled the wings off butterflys when he was a kid too!

I would pull out the training manuals for your electric fence and go back and review some of the steps with your dog. If you are an Invisible Fence customer, see about moving your dog's electronics up to the next correction level. I have found that each of my pets had different correction requirements--my old cat was at a higher level than my dog. I might even put the flags back out and start back with a review of the boundaries. Maybe a visit by an Invisible Fence serviceperson would be in order to make sure you haven't lost your system to an electrical storm, etc.

There have already been excellent suggestions about filming the individual. You could use a camcorder, or the video option on your digital camera (if you have this available). Even if the police cannot initally intervene, the video evidence could be sufficient to obtain a restraining order from the courts, after which the police can become involved. The video evidence could also come in handy if there is some form of legal action at a later date. If the individual questions why you are filming him, tell him; this might be enough in and of itself to convince him to cease and desist. (Many people might be embarrassed about having a restraining order issued against them, and would prefer to avoid such a reputation.)

This is excellent advice! This is what I would do. Also, if you actually are looking out your window and catch the guy doing this, go out and confront him! Or, just go outside, like you just checking on your dog and see what the guy does. You may be surprised to find, this man is nothing but a coward, and if you confront him about harassing your dog, he may just stop. Or, walk out while he's harrassing your dog, with the video camera in your hand filming all the way up to your dog. He'll probably turn around quickly and stop. If he's a worker over next door and works for a company, contact his supervisor, if this is the case. I have a neighbor we're not friendly with and when I let Misty out (we have no fence, or electric fence, but she stays in the yard, we're always looking out the door while she's out) and when he sees she's out he'll stop what he's doing and just stare over, probably waiting for her to cross over the property line. He's a jacka**! But, she just gives him her best border collie stare, and then I come out, and he turns away. Hahaha! Sometimes I wish I owned a Pitbull, just to really give him something to stare at! LOL

Good Luck!

You can also look into the wording of the nuisance laws in your town/county. Anyone yelling/harassing/creating a distubance may be liable for a nuisance citation. You could also talk with your neighbors, to see if any of them are bothered by this individual's repeated annoying behavior. When talking with police, etc, focus on his behavior and how annoying you as owners/residents find it, to have a man barking at your back yard. Legally, this might be an easier way to go.

Do keep track, somehow: a daily log, a video, what your neighbors say.

You may want to talk to the man, point out that the noise that he is making is bothering the whole neigborhood, and that your dog does not bark when she's not being barked at.

I strongly urge, along with many other responses, that the dog not be outside unattended until this matter is resolved. The guy may just be clueless, he may be malicious and willing to escalate to get a bigger response. Dogs can and do go through electric fences. The situation as it stands leaves your dog and you wide open to tragedy and legal action.

Is there a neighborhood teenager who could walk/play with your dog after school? Is there doggy day care? Unfortunately, one of the probable side effects to this jerk's barking at your girl is that she'll become suspicious and wary of strangers/visitors, etc. Any good experiences she can have with people other than your family will help her overall arousal level enormously, and give you a 'pool' of good doggy references if it becomes necessary.

If there's any way to put up physical fencing to contain her, even temporarily, do it. DO NOT TIE HER OUTSIDE. Being tied out is one of the most commonly found characteristics in dogs attacking humans. This is a very risky situation, your dog could lose her life.

Please let us know how you get on and what your results are.

Ruth n the BC3

ETA: You might also check with some of the businesses on that side of the office complex, to see if they can hear and are annoyed by this guy. If his actions are bothering the people in the offices, then some pressure could be brought from them.

I wouldn't totally discount talking to the company that he works for at some point. While it is true that some employers would not take it seriously, there are others who would.

If someone who works where I work were out harassing neighbor's dogs, our employer would not just let it slide - especially if the employee were doing this on company property.

Here's another angle. Besides the pictures/videos etc. maybe if you're talking with the police, suggest that this guys needs a psychiatric evaluation, that he's presenting a danger to himself and others (which is true, if he's in the habit of provoking dogs to the point that they may become willing to attack him or some innocent passerby). Bet he might change his behaviour in a big hurry if he thinks it's going to have that kind of an impact on him.

I forgot to ask, does he watch to see when she's put out, or does he know you stick to a certain schedule? If you follow a schedule maybe you could mix it up so he won't know when to expect her to be out. He will also seem all that more strange, if he suddenly drops everything to rush over and bark at the dog if she's out unexpectedly. (as I said above, in need of help)

I agree with everything said, but am concerned that you said he went through the invisible fence. There is absolutely nothing that can provoke my dogs through the fence. If there was, I would never leave them out of my sight. Around here, if it is questioned, AC will come out and try to entice your dog through the fence. If they can, there is trouble and you could lose your dog if someone has been bitten.

Seeing as you have not talked to this person, you do not know what lies beneath his motive for this behavior.

I would share with the police your thoughts that he may be:

Stalking you

Trying to steal your dog

"Casing" your house for a potential robbery

If you have children, looking for an opportunity to harm, molest or abduct your kids.

I do not think the business owner would be too happy to see a marked police car at their business to question an employee on the basis of "suspicious behavior".

Anybody messing with MY dogs on MY property (even if the person is not on my property) is going to have the full weight of the law brought down on their heads and quickly.

Seems to me that the first step is to talk to this... Person. Politely. Explain, in no uncertain, but civil, launguage, the problem he's causing for you and your dog. Ask him politely to stop. Do not threaten. Do not bluster. If he's unresponsive, or hostle, walk away.

If he gives attitude, or continues his behavior, then next step is a registered letter to his employer, detailing events, times, dates, and steps you have taken, asking that they assist you in stopping this behavior.

If that fails, it may be lawyer time - he's messing not only with your friend, but with your valuable dog. If, through this person's misbehavior, you wind up with a bite situation on your hands, it seems to me that you have a legal defense and claim against him for his taunting.

But I could be wrong... I'm not a lawyer, after all. Those are just the steps that occur to me, after reading the thread.