BC Boards

Smooth coated Borders

Those of you out there with smooth coated BC's is it typical for them to have an awful lot of undercoat? I've had three rough coated dogs with differences in coats types (long/straight with little undercoat, fluffy with little undercoat and straight with cowlicks and little undercoat.) My smooth coated BC suddenly (at the age of five) grew a lot of undercoat. And it's tanish (she's a black tri.) The heat is bothering her this summer and I understand why with that undercoat. I don't know if it is normal. She is on Proin due to urinary issues and since she started that in December I'd like to blame the Proin but I've never seen that listed as a side effect. Any thoughts?

Mine has a 'moderate' amount of undercoat. She's also only a year old.

My other dog, who is not a border nor short haired, was single coated (I and everyone else would have sworn) until she was 2.5 or so and suddenly sprouted a noticeable amount of undercoat. And it's still getting thicker. She's a spayed female though and from my understanding that sort of thing happens fairly commonly as they get older and after being altered. They even call it a spay coat.

My old dog always had a medium undercoat, but I do remember a change in his coat when he hit full maturity - maybe at around 5? He got weird tufts of undercoat-like hair where he'd never had them, along the bony parts of his front and back legs. Kind of like hairiness that develops on older humans, whiskers where they'd neve been before?

Bodhi's not a smooth coat -- medium rough. When he was younger he barely had any undercoat at all, even in the dead of winder. I don't remember exactly when it happened he was at least 5 or 6 though) but he developed an undercoat. Now at 9 1/2-10 he's got a really dense, plush undercoat.

Many of my smooth coated dogs have seemed to gain more undercoat as they aged. Lark used to be slick, and at 9 she has some undercoat she never had before. As someone else noted, it's probably pretty individual from dog to dog, but certainly smooths can have more or less undercoat.

J.

Hey thanks for all the input. I was considering having her checked for hypothyroidism but she really doesn't have any other signs. I was thinking that my other female Border's coat changed around the same age and that perhaps it has something to do with aging and being spayed. I'll keep watching for other signs to be sure it isn't something medical.