BC Boards

keeping cool

Yeah. I mentioned it somewhere but first summer for a new dog always seems like they have a harder time than they do as they grow. My girl doesn't have a ton of heat tolerance, though it's improved over the course of the year. I expect it to be better next year. Don't sweat it (heh) and don't push her too hard. It'll get better.

It has actually gotten me thinking I should move to a more hospitable climate. I came here from Alameda. Blue would have loved it there.

This morning, I took him at 7 (30 minutes earlier than usual) and the 5°F cooler temperature and lack of direct sunlight made a HUGE difference. We did three miles with a rest and ice water break between each one.

Now its off the the gym for some real exercise :). Looking forward to Fall and his first birthday.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back from a two mile hike in Miami with a borrowed, 3-year old Sheltie. 90°F and 70% humidity. He was clearly hot after less than a mile. I guess all dogs get hot when it is hot and wet outside. I know I used to be less active and must also have been less sensitive to the signs of this sort of thing.

Apparently it is not just about dogs. After I brought the Sheltie home, I went for a short little two mile jog at a 10:00 pace and it really took a toll on me.

Then I found this online from Jeff Galloway's classic Book on Running:

post-17570-0-85079600-1439395007_thumb.jpg

Dear Doggers,

When I started too many years ago imported sheepdogs were trialed as soon as they arrived in hot humid Virginia from cool, rainy Britain. (Scotland's the same latitude as Newfoundland). Heatstroke was commonplace and those dogs who suffered were far more sensitive to heatstroke later. The dogs did just fine when given time to acclimatize.

Also: the first hot days affect a sheepdog far more than those same temps will at the end of the summer. Temps at Belle Grove 2 were 95 degrees but it was September and the only dog who got heatstroke was too old to be running.

Donald McCaig

If you are at the location and they have any type of water and the dogs can get in and use it, that would be the best. The belly is one thing that you want to cool, so if they just walk in it and get the belly wet, that should be OK, but try to do it often. I had one of my girls have a heat stroke and the temperature was in the low 80's with about 10 minutes of activity. Know the signs of Heat Stroke, it can save the dog's life. The things I notices most was how quick it came on and being wobbly and her eyes rolled back in her head. The other ideas are great too.

• Panting
  • Wobbly
  • Dehydration
  • Excessive drooling
  • Increased body temperature - above 103° F (39° C)
  • Reddened gums and moist tissues of the body
  • Production of only small amounts of urine or no urine
  • Rapid heart rate
  • Irregular heart beats
  • Shock
  • Muscle tremors
  • Wobbly
  • Unconsciousness in which the dog cannot be stimulated to be awakened