BC Boards

Baxter the therapy dog dies

bc4ever

You know, I read this earlier today and was wondering whether or not to post it. You beat me to it!

It's sad, yes, but what is sadder is that Baxter's owner did not let him die with a shred dignity. A dog that was crippled by arthritis, unable to stand was pulled into the nursing facility in a wagon and picked up and placed on the patient's bed. There must have been some discomfort -- no, probably A LOT of discomfort, in his poor old arthritis-ridden body, to be moved that way.

And did you see the picture which is on the cover of his last book. He is propped up in a lying down position for the picture, IOW, unable to pick and hold himself up. He looks like a dog who is dying.

Where the shame is, is that Baxter for all he gave back to humanity, was not even allowed a dignified retirement or death and that pisses me off.

It also makes me wonder about the credibility of the organization that continued to certify Baxter as a therapy dog. (or with TDI is certification a lifetime thing. I don't know).

Over the years, I've had 5 therapy dogs certified by Delta Society. The were re-evaluated every two years. A dog in Baxter's shape would not even be considered, much less wonder if he could pass the test. In the orientation for working as a therapy dog team, we were told that WE, as owner, handler, and partner know our dogs. If the dog begins to show signs of stress or shutting down either during a visit or in general, then it's time to remove the dog. You're not doing anyone a favor, least of all the dog by insisting he do something he or she might not be up to.

The more I think about it, the more distasteful this whole thing with poor Baxter is and takes away not only from the credibility of his owner, but the therapy dog organization for allowing this to go on as long as it did.

I'm ticked off to the point that I think I'll be writing to Therapy Dog International, because over the years, I think I can safely say that there is no comparison between the professionalism emphasized for a Delta dog and Therapy Dog International.

Rest in Peace, Baxter. You've more than earned it.

ONLY A DOG

Do you remember thinking it was time that the kids learned some responsibility and scanning the newspaper ads for a cheap dog for sale? Do you remember bringing home this little ball of shivering fur and putting her out in the yard on a chain that was too heavy on a night that was too cold? Of course you don't remember this. After all, she is only a dog.

Do you remember this baby crying because she was afraid and alone? Do you remember screaming at her to be quiet and finally going out there to kick her to drive home the lesson? Of course you don't remember this. After all, she is only a dog.

Do you remember the many times you noticed her water bowl was empty and her food bowl was covered with mold and thinking that it was the kids' job to take care of her? Do you remember seeing that her coat was dull and lifeless and, in many places, chewed away down to the skin because of the parasites no one took the time to rid her of? Of course you don't remember this. After all, she is only a dog.

Do you remember her first heat and the neighbor's male visiting her night after night? Do you remember thinking that letting her have the puppies would be a good experience for the kids? Do you remember that every one of those pups died because their mother was no more than a puppy herself? Of course you don't remember this. After all, she is only a dog.

I know you remember the animal control officer coming to the house, accusing you of animal cruelty and taking her away because you couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. After all, she is only a dog.

I thought you might be interested in how this girl is doing today. You see, once she found a home that gave her love, attention and proper care, she blossomed into a beautiful, loyal companion. To these people, she is much more than only a dog.

She became a therapy dog and now goes to nursing homes and hospices where she brightens the lives of the infirm and dying. To some of these people, she has given hope. To others, she's given them a reason to keep living. To even others, she's given them the will to die peacefully, with a smile on their lips. To these people, she is much more than only a dog.

Just last week, she helped find a little boy that was lost in the woods. She spent a long, cold winter's night, lying over him to keep him warm and risked her own life to protect his. To this little boy and his family, she is much more than only a dog.

Why did that filthy, flea ridden animal chained in your backyard suddenly become so important to so many? Because she never gave up her trust in people and she never once thought, "After all, he is only a human."

-Author Unknown

Via con Dios, Baxter.

Vicki

I am with you. I had never heard of Baxter, but looked at the video. He was not given the dignity he deserved, and that woman lost who her dog was, first, her loyal companion.

There is absolutely no doubt that therapy dogs do incredible work, but when they are ready to retire, they should do that, not be schlepped around like a sack of potatoes, and looked at as a pitiful old thing.

Thanks for contacting TDI on this.

I'm pretty sure TDI does a one time registration evaluation and then annual or every few years registration fee.

I think Delta is the only group that requires periodic re-evaluations and for that they should be highly commended. IMO their evals are also the toughest around and they provide the best training for the human side of the equation, but I might be biased as I am an evaluator for them. :rolleyes:

This was posted on another forum and my thoughts were the same as Vicki's but everyone else didn't seem to feel that way. I just can't look past the suffering of Baxter in his final days.

Therapy dogs are a wonderful thing. My Summer used to be a therapy dog and I know she misses it. She has such a way with people I really hope I can get her back into therapy work. But therapy dogs need compassion too. When a dog is in a state such as Baxter then he is the one that needs the compassion and needs to be let pass in dignity.

Rest in peace Old Boy.

Maybe if anyone is having trouble deciding when to do the humane thing for a beloved animal they should watch this video. Yes, very painful. How could that owner think that was something Baxter was enjoying? :rolleyes: It seemed like it was more about her and her therapy dog. Rest easy Baxter.

I did not watch the video. I did not realize he was a therapy dog, but some years ago became aware that he had books out about him--that he was famous for some reason.

I "met" Baxter several years ago when I had one of my dogs at the specialty hospital for some major catastrophe (don't recall which one). Baxter was being pulled in in his little wagon thing, and lifted out to go into the exam room, etc.

At that time, I was appalled that the poor dog was forced to "live" in that manner ("existing at the whims of his owner," indeed). I had forgotten all about it until I just read this. Poor little guy--I hope now he is in peace.

A

I did not watch the video. I did not realize he was a therapy dog, but some years ago became aware that he had books out about him--that he was famous for some reason.

I "met" Baxter several years ago when I had one of my dogs at the specialty hospital for some major catastrophe (don't recall which one). Baxter was being pulled in in his little wagon thing, and lifted out to go into the exam room, etc.

At that time, I was appalled that the poor dog was forced to "live" in that manner ("existing at the whims of his owner," indeed). I had forgotten all about it until I just read this. Poor little guy--I hope now he is in peace.

A

Wow, they kept him like that for years? :rolleyes: I had assumed it was something that had happened in his extremely old age.