BC Boards

Stick out your tongue and say Ahhhhh

Does anyone have a dog that sticks out his or her tongue? Not panting, just hanging out and sticking out about an inch or so.

I've got this new dog here and he does this - it cracks me up but I remember vaguely that this was a trait from one of the modern major bloodlines - Wilson's Lad maybe? I don't have his papers yet so I don't know.

Yes, unfortunately I don't have many pictures but if it is ok to post it here, here is one. I am afraid it is not great and he will often stick it out a bit further. I think it is soooo cute. I wonder if I should click it and get him to do it on cue :rolleyes: Oh, and his Dad is from the U.S. but I doubt he is from that line. I'd have to dheck it. 1-1.jpg

Flick's bite in fine, but her tongue tip is usually sticking out of her mouth, more so, now that she is older. Someone once told me it's because their tongues are too long for their mouths. Don't know, but it certainly takes away from that "look of eagles". LOLOL.

Skye does that a lot and she her bite is fine. It really makes me laugh when she does it because other that she has a very regal bearing and is queen of the household. The tongue sticking out doesn't quite fit her image. She usually only does it when she's relaxing though. Skye is a Barbie Collie, so no relation to Wilson's Lad unless it is farther back than 10 or 12 generations.

Red Dog has always been this way. His bite his fine, his tongue is just *that* much too long. The tip is always out. He can growl/snarl that way, bark that way and sleep that way.

When he was a puppy, we were worried he was epileptic as he would be laying there, tongue hanging out and quivering and twitching in his sleep!!

It is one of the many things people love about my crazy old dog.

Fergie sticks her tongue out like that a lot. She also lets it loll way out of her mouth - looking doofus. In fact, we used to worry that she'd grow into that tongue.

My first Border Collie (Calvin, '93) was renowned for that...his bite was excellent, denture intact, but he had an intense gaze and his tongue usually got left out about a half inch to an inch. He'd fall asleep with it out, mouth closed, and he'd sleep so soundly that we could ease that thing out and drape it over his upper lip, fully out, and we'd wait til he woke up and it was dry...snickering all the while, had a hoot when he tried to recall the thing all dried out. The only dog he had in his lines of any extraordinary herding credentials was MacPherson's Zac; he was a grandson.

I still have people I started out with who remember Tongue Dog.

Dublin doesn't do it but I catch my foster dog doing it now and then.

But my big ol' tomcat does it *all* the time. It really takes away from his "cats are gods" attitude. He gets this really offended look on his face, though, when I flick it with my fingertip to get him to pull it back in...

Mine mostly do it when they are lounging or sleeping. I love to go over and grab a little bit of dried tongue just to mess with them. Sometimes my old girl forgets to put in back in and it stays out for long periods of time. When we laugh she sucks it in quickly and looks ashamed.

It's a quirck I love!

Kristen

Mine mostly do it when they are lounging or sleeping. I love to go over and grab a little bit of dried tongue just to mess with them. When we laugh she sucks it in quickly and looks ashamed.
You sound like me! ha ha! I can flick Pete's tongue back and forth before he pulls it in.

Goofy suckers!