BC Boards

Fluconazole Dosage for Valley Fever

M.L.

Hi all! Ginger was just diagnosed with Valley Fever with a titer of 1:32. She has been coughing and that's how we came to test for it. Our vet prescribed 200 mg of fluconazole, given twice daily. That is 10 mg/kg of body weight twice daily. From all of my research, this seems high. I questioned it and she referred me to the Valley Fever Center for Excellence here in Tucson because that is their recommended dosage. I called and they did verify that, but I still feel like it is a high dose.

So, I'm curious what dosage your dog was prescribed if they had VF. Ginger is about 50 pounds. I won't go changing her dosage unless I go see another vet for a second opinion, I'm just curious.

Thanks!

I have never dealt with dogs that have had Valley Fever, but when I worked for a zoo in Phoenix, we had a Wallaby that had Valley Fever. He weighed about 50 pounds and we gave him 200 mg of fluconazole every day. 100 mg in the morning and 100 mg at night before close. Same with the monkeys, the smaller ones, were given that dosage daily. (They liked their medicine in a red vine candy :P ) Sorry I don't have any experience or advice about the dosage for dogs, but I can't imagine that they would be too different as far as giving them something that the dose is based on weight. But since I'm not a vet I can't be sure. :)

post-11137-077698900 1291265921_thumb.jpg

My seven year old BC was at a trial in the upper Sacramento Valley of CA on Aug 21. 10 days latter she began spasms of coughing. After x-rays of her chest, a broncoscopy, and about two weeks of treating her for Kennel cough or other bacterial diseases, the blood test result for fungal infection came back showing that she had a titer for Valley Fever.

She was prescribed one 100 MG of furconazole to be given by breaking the tablet in half, and giving the half tablets (50 MG) twice daily. Her weight was between 35 and 32 lbs.

Although none of the antibiotics had been effective in lowering her fever or reducing the coughing, I was instructed to continue them until I had used them up. As soon as I started the furconazole, her temperature started to go down. It took almost a whole month after starting the antifungal medication for her temperature to return to normal levels.It had been between 104.9 and 103.5 for most of that month.

On the first of November I took her to the ranch where I could see how she would do after vigorous exercise. She worked a small group of sheep (outruns, lots of flanking and the starts and stops) for a solid half hour. By the end of that time, she had not had any coughing spells. She still occasionally has some coughing, particularly if she runs around in the cold. I am to continue the medication until the end of the year, then we will have her rechecked with another blood test. It is possible that I will have to continue the treatment for many months more until all trace of the fungus is gone.

But I am gratified, and very happy, that the worst of her illness is over. She has her old happy-go-lucky personality back.

PhyllisK and Bird

Archived