BC Boards

Why is puppy peeing so much?

gcv-border

I hope to benefit from the collective wisdom of the board regarding my current foster puppy (I foster for Blue Ridge Border Collie Rescue). Here is the story --

Anyss, the foster puppy, has been here ~ 2.5 weeks. She was found as a stray. We think that she is a mix of terrier and/or mini-Aussie and/or BC and/or whatever. About 5.5 - 6 months old.

When she first came, she had pee accidents in the house. No biggie since she was a stray with an unknown background. I have been doing the usual house-breaking routine - crating, tethering to me while inside, walking her outside frequently and treating/praising her when she pees outside. She has shown no improvement in her understanding that she should go outside, not inside. Several times, she has squatted right in front of me (inside the house). So I am wondering if she has a UTI. Her pees are not little dribbles. They are decent amounts of urine, and in fact, it seems like she pees more than I would expect on a daily basis. For example, just today, she peed 3 times within a 2 hour time period. I am thinking of keeping a daily log of her pee activity.

She was spayed on Wednesday (2 days ago), and I was hoping to have her checked for UTI at that time, but because she went to a spay clinic, they limit themselves to spays, shots and microchips.

I took her to Banfield today for a UTI check. (Not my first choice, but they had an opening right away.) Her urine was tested (1) for specific gravity, (2) with the urine strip tests (for concentration of urine) and (3) the sediment exam (to detect abnormal cells). All results were normal. I can not tell you the exact values since Banfield did not supply them to me. (Aargh, my pet peeve is when medical test results are reported as 'normal'. I want to know the specific values.) They took so long with the exam, etc. that I was late. So I just grabbed the invoice and 'test results', thinking that I would look at the results when I got home. Hah!

The vet said that they could do a blood panel to check for kidney issues, but I don't want to keep spending the rescue's money.

So I am either really, really bad at housebreaking training (my previous 3 fosters were trained within a week) or she has kidney issues (and what could those be?) or maybe an immature bladder? or maybe she really does have a UTI or ????

Any thoughts are welcomed. Any other tests to run?

Thanks,

Jovi

Not a vet, and not sure how to put this delicately, but have you checked her for a recessed vulva? That can sometimes interfere with the complete emptying of the bladder and cause more frequent squatting. Allowing a bitch to go through at least one estrus cycle will sometimes correct it, but if it's too late (and one doesn't opt for corrective surgery), then it is necessary to keep an eye on it. CranCaps, routine urinalysis, urine culture and keeping the area clean with baby wipes might help prevent (or detect) problems. You will still want to rule out underlying disease first though.

Laurae - she does seem to drink more than normal, I think. There are times when she will stay at the water bowl for quite a while. I have not been observant enough to determine if she is drinking a lot, but only a few times, rather than drinking less, but more frequently per day. I did a little bit of reading on canine diabetes, and it seems that most often diabetes starts around 6-9 years. Diabetes is a possibility that I will keep in mind.

Terrecar - don't worry about being delicate. My other dog (15 year-old rescued Sheltie mix girlie) has what the vet termed 'juvenile vulva'. Last year, she had her first (and so far, her only) UTI. As you say, it can be a side-effect of early spaying. I do give her a cranberry/D-mannose capsule once per day, and I keep her genital area trimmed for short hair.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Here is Anyss:

post-8674-012353000 1349573631_thumb.jpg

post-8674-034154300 1349573651_thumb.jpg

It is very rare for dogs to get kidney stones. They can, however, get bladder stones, but I would be suprised to see that show up in such a young dog regardless of the food it is being fed. (I have seen many puppies on horrible food and have not seen them present with bladder stones).

Since her urine checked out "normal" (we assume), I'd try ruling out a behavioral component. Does she have free access to water? If so, I'd try limiting it to scheduled times, which could prevent her from being an obsessive drinker, and get her on a good routine.

An ectopic ureter is something that could potentially be a problem, but that is pretty rare. It is a congenital abnormality and would be diagnosed via ultrasound. If you were looking for what diagnostics to spend money on...I'd try a urine culture and/or blood panel before going to the ultrasound.

Yes, dogs do get kidney stones and diabetes insipidus. Diabetes mellitus and insipidus are both likely to show themselves on a urinalysis (though don't *have to*, per se, but you'd probably see at least hints). But especially when a budget is concerned, I'd recommend looking for the most common causes of increased thirst and urination in a young female...which would be a UTI or behavioral. If this persists despite routine management/therapy, then I'd say go looking for the less common (but more expensive!) causes.

Can you get your Banfield results faxed to your regular vet?

Your idea of a daily log is a good one!

I have had Cedar since he was 15 weeks old (now 9 yrs) and he peed frequent lakes when we got him, especially when excited.

House training wasn't helped by the fact that he also had colitis but we got through it and now the only accidents we get are if he gets overexcited before his evening meal and hasn't had a pee for several hours. My fault if I forget to let him out before the meal.

He will pee huge amounts more regularly than the others and will often do a huge one followed by another huge one within minutes. He seems to have huge bladder capacity.

There is nothing physically wrong with him (I have had him checked out) but if he is feeling sressed he will down a whole bowl of water in one go. It's a comforting habit.