BC Boards

Deworming for tapes

gcv-border

Foster dog came in on Saturday and I noticed tapes in his feces on Sunday (quite a few). He was wormed with pyrantel at the Humane Society on 2/29/12. I know pyrantel does not treat for tapes. I do have fenbendazole on hand (10% suspension, cattle dewormer - white liquid) and understand that I should do a 5 day treatment.

I have read advice on this topic before, but I don't seem to be entering the correct search terms since I can not find the advice when I search for it. Please let me know how you treat for tapes (PMs are OK) - preferably using the fenbendazole I have on hand. Or else, what do you buy over the counter that is effective? I would prefer not to have to submit a fecal to the vet (and pay the $) before I can buy Droncit or Drontal - particularly since I saw the tapes. ( I don't need confirmation.)

Thank you in advance,

Jovi

Panacur is pretty much only going to take care of tapes if they're the kind that come from fleas. Drontal will take care of all kinds of tapes. It's annoying that Drontal is not available OTC and that it costs so much.

You'll need to give the Panacur for 3-5 consecutive days for it be successful.

RDM

A cheap way to get praziquantel, also known as Droncit and used to treat dogs for tapeworm is to use fish medicine, http://www.jefferspet.com/fish-tapes/p/0033044/ Jeffers has the best price for the Fish tape medicine that I have found. Same dosage of praziquantel as in the Droncit from your vet or dog tape wormer ordered on line, huge price difference . 30 capsules of Fish Tapes runs around $35.00 compared to $15.00 to $23.00 for 5 tablets of "dog" tapeworm medicine. Just a way to keep up with worming dogs for tapes without breaking the bank.

Dosage for parziquantel 34mg tablet/capsule from a bottle of Droncit tablets, under 5# 1/2 tablet, 6 to 10# 1 tablet, 11 to 15# 1 1/2 tablet, 16 to 30# 2 tablets, 31 to 45# 3 tablets, 46 to 60# 4 tablets, over 60# 5 tablets MAX. Fasting is neither necessary nor recommended.

I recommend fish meds too, or at least I've been using them for quite some time with no one growing gills or having any side effects and they work for what I've used them for.

It seems to scare people cause they're for fish.

One day I was really sick, had a bladder infection that I hadn't realized and waited way to long to get to the doc. I went later that day and we had a little conversation about fishbiotics. She was quite surprised then said, "you know I can't recommend taking anything other than what I prescribe but I sure wish people without insurance would find out about these meds. They might not be as tested as what we use for humans but would be totally better than nothing."

That morning, not having enough time to get to the doc till later I had hemmed and hawed about if I should take the fish biotics myself. I decided to error on the side of caution. I'm glad I went to the doctor but she did get me thinking....

Just my personal experiences, and if you aren't sure what you're treating, then a vet visit is in order but sometimes it's just the "prescribing" part that has me going to the vet. And I do understand that we should not be diagnosing ourselves or our pets but I for one do it rather often for routine aliments. Again, that's just me.

^^^^^^^ What she said ^^^^^^^ The fish biotics, at least the cephlexin 500 look identical to what has to be prescribed and work the same..........at least in my experience, for both dogs and myself..no prescription needed.

Archived