BC Boards

New to Forum

We got our Border Collie Max from the humane society 1 1/2 weeks ago. We were told that he came from a horder house. The woman had 11 other dogs and she died in January. Someone came to the house everyday for 6 weeks and threw food on the floor and left. After 6 weeks they decided they needed to do something with the dogs. They were all covered with fleas. Max was shaven under his chin they were so bad. Someone adopted him for a month and then called the humane society and said they had a funeral to go to out of town could they watch him. They never came back. When we went in to see him he was laying on a blanket and very afraid of us. We all sat done and put out our hands one at a time. His eyes were so sad that was when we knew we had to rescue him. We got him into the car and already he started to be a different dog.

My husband had go travel for work last week and I work part time so I was home a lot last week. He has made many small gains. He had a few accidents in the house. I took him out every hour and gave him lots of praise. He does not like loud noises at all whether it be lots of cars, garbage trucks. We went to the vet to have him checked out and other then being a little too skinny he is healthy. He has laid down on his back and let me rub his belly. That was a huge moment. What else can I do to help him.

He does not respond to his name. I took him out in the afternoon to throw a ball but he he does it twice then loses interest. He follows me wherever I go. He just started going into his crate at night by himself. I would love any ideas for people. We go for three walks a day. He is good with dogs we see on our walks as long as they are not right in his face at first. We had a cocker spaniel for 10 years and what a difference in dogs but man has he ever captured my heart :).

The most important thing you can do for him is to be patient. It can take a while for dogs from situations like this to gain confidence and, to use a cliche', come out of their shells.

He probably doesn't understand the significance of his name. You could try pairing his name with treats so that he starts to think that currently meaningless sound means something wonderful. Just say his name in a happy voice and immediately give him a special, yummy treat. Do this over and over again for a few minutes several times a day. I'll bet it'll be no time at all till he's looking eagerly your way whenever he hears the sound of his name. :D This will lay a good foundation for other things you want to teach him when he's ready for it.

2 times with the ball is a great start! It took 3 1/2 years for one of my rescued border collies to understand what a ball was for. You're way ahead of the game!

You might be interested in reading the threads of a couple of people and their dogs who have been through this, with great success. Their stories will not only be very useful to you, but are inspiring.

http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=31080&hl=kelso

http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=35956&hl=kelso&do=findComment&comment=454543

Thanks for rescuing Max and giving him the opportunity to have the great life he deserves. Hoping you'll have many happy years together.