BC Boards

New pup :)

I am picking up a pup in a week.

He is split-faced, ticked, white factored, with creeping tri.

He's a mix ('herding dog for working farm' sort - really, literally, bred to work) but largely BC. I cannot even imagine what people are going to make of him.

Of course, you WILL post photos immediately when you get this pup. :)

Beautiful dogs everyone! I think saddle back is my new fav color. What a beautiful surprise she grew into :)

Thanks for being so welcoming even though he is a mix. He is the only mix in his puppy school but kicking butt :D

Here is a video I took last week of Zygy playing with his friend Jasmine (field spaniel) before practicing recalls. I took him on a 1.5 hour walk before class (weather was sooo nice!) but he still had energy reserves for some play.

There is a part at the end where she runs off and he chases her and runs around out in front of her to face her. Is this some of that herding instinct?

Sorry for the video orientation. I am not the best filmer lol

[video=youtube]

I am pretty sure that my boy George is a creeping saddle back sable.

Here is a photo taken when he was 8 weeks old.

post-14654-0-67253700-1496186069_thumb.jpg

Here is a more recent photo

post-14654-0-83010300-1496187605_thumb.jpg

I have tried to take a photo of the fur on his shoulder, which to the naked eye is clearly black at the root and tan at the end, but I can't get a clear photo on my phone. I have been told this means he has the agouti gene.

• 8 months later...

Wanted to update. Zyggy is now 1 year old and we also got a Bengal kitten who is 1 month older than him so they are best buddies.

He is a wonderful dog, the only problem we are working on is some leash re-activeness. A miniature poodle attacked him when he was 6 months, he was on lead and the other dogs collar broke and he got away from the owner. Zyggy was not hurt but the dog jumped on him repeatedly making awful noises until we could catch the dog. Zyggy was scared and jumping around like a hot potato.

Currently he is only reactive at dog school, I believe because there are so many dogs and a lot of barking at times. However we are working on it and he is improving, this week he only barked once in his crate and when we worked on leash with other dogs in the area I was able to get him to focus on me and ignore them after he took a nervous glance around (we kept a fairly comfortable distance). A different miniature poodle approached us and got within a foot when we were walking outside around out house and he had no reaction, just friendly curiosity. This poodle was very calm though.

I think it is a mix of fear and excitement when he gets over the threshold.

Off-leash meeting dogs outside he is a dream, he is very respectful of other dogs big or small and entirely tolerable of the pushy bouncy ones, he even took a bossy husky in stride. It is like a completely different dog. I think he knows he is fast and he isn't worried about it. He does love to play with other dogs that invite him to do so.

Otherwise he is amazing. He listens wonderfully on and off lead and is very focused into what we are doing. He loves everything from agility, learning new tricks, dock diving, ect. He is also very much a velcro dog and follows me to every room and lays outside the bathroom when I am in the shower. He even sleeps in his kennel next to me or plays "watch dog" out the bedroom door when I am asleep. He loves praise and loves to be petted, they are as good as rewards as food. He will drive ahead in agility or explore offlead when he is told it is okay. Even if my husband is awake downstairs he wants to stay with me. He has a very high toy drive but will work for food too. He is not neutered yet but doesn't seem to lose his focus when there are females in diapers in class and doesn't snoop for dropped treats.

He is practically a dog who teaches himself, I hung a bell on the door and didn't get around to teaching him to ring it to potty but he figured it out himself. We did shadow handling this week for the first time where he had to match my speed while going in circles and he did it perfectly which put me in shock (I never taught him to heel), as soon as he got it I said "good boy" which is like a jackpot to him and he was in the zone after that with a look of pure focus on his face.

I have never had a dog like him before and just so thrilled with his enthusiasm for life.

Pics below, he still does funny things with his ears, backwards, both tipped, 1 up, 1 down, both up.

24508037608_8c6b59c1a0_c.jpgIMG_20170724_152414 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

36077633811_08410c8a24_c.jpg2017-07-27_10-10-42 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

38348059622_ce71a63950_c.jpgIMG_20170713_210412 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

38378304851_ddfd4a773d_c.jpgIMG_20170713_124550 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

39275191921_1be76c86d8_c.jpg2017-12-24_09-39-51 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

They both were hanging out in the kennel so I shut the door and quick took a picture.

39189359195_466e6e2022_c.jpg2018-02-04_05-48-19 by Tana Jahangier, on Flickr

Beautiful puppy. These little herding dogs are athletic and smart. Best friends.

Those cats are very interesting?

Thank you.. I can see why so many people love these breeds.

Those cats are very interesting?

They are Bengal cats.... Generally an intelligent energetic sometimes dog-like breed. Playing fetch... Liking water and leash walking is not uncommon. They do seem to match well with dogs if raised with them since they like to play.

I am allergic to cats but this breed doesn't bother me too much since they don't have an under coat and shed minimally. They have a small amount of Asian leopard in there genes hence the spotted pelt.

I'll have to mention this cat to our daughter. Along with our Border Collie we have a Russian Blue, and they too play together.