BC Boards

Sara - 09/01/92 - 09/08/09

bc friend

With her vet’s kind assistance, Sara crossed over to the Bridge one week after her 17th birthday.

I posted a few weeks ago about some intermittent health issues that came up suddenly. An ultrasound revealed a large new growth on her liver that had not been there in June and blood work showed anemia and changes in liver enzymes. From its appearance and the fact it was bleeding, my vet and the radiologist suspected a hemangiosarcoma. I opted to provide her with supportive care and nothing aggressive - such as surgery or blood transfusions. Sara never appeared to be in pain and would just suddenly collapse as though exhausted. There periods would last maybe an hour up to a day and then she’d be back on her feet. But this weekend, she collapsed and never seemed to recover. My vet said it appeared she was having a slow bleed out and would probably die before the end of the day so I chose to help her go.

I don’t know if the Rainbow Bridge exists anywhere except in my mind but it brings me comfort to visualize Sara in her prime running free, soaring through the air to catch a frisbee, exchanging play bows with Meg and nuzzling the cats.

From the many previous posts from members whose dogs have had hemangiosarcoma, I knew we didn’t have much time and I tried to make the best of it for both of us - she had every special treat she wanted and I spent as much time with her as I could. Of course I’m sad and grieving for my losss but I also know it was her time to go and that she had a very long life in which she was loved every day.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your good friend Sara. Seventeen years is a good long life, but it's never long enough with these amazing animals we've been blessed to have shared our lives with.

I lost a treasured friend today,

The little dog who used to lay

Her gentle head upon my knee

And share her silent thoughts with me...

She'll come no longer to my call,

Retrieve no more her favorite ball;

A voice far greater than my own

Has called her to His golden throne.

Although my eyes are filled with tears,

I thank Him for the happy years

He let her spend down here with me

And for her love and loyalty.

When it is time for me to go

And join her there, this much I know...

I shall not fear the transient dark

For she will greet me with her bark.

~ Author Unknown

Via con Dios, Sara.

My deepest sympathies on your loss of Sara...I know she was well loved.

Remember Me!

Remember me always, but do not grieve for me too long.

I have tried always to comfort you in times of sorrow, and have made every effort to add joy to your life.

I never wanted to cause you pain.

Peace for me is certain now, and I suspect I will have eternal sleep in the earth I have loved so well.

Please, after your period of grieving for me, make room in your heart for another.

You are the kind of human being that should always have a friend like me to love.

Your kind and gentle heart should not be wasted on my memory for too long.

Give your love to another.

I know your new friend will never take my place, because we had something very special.

It may not be quite the same, but a new devoted and loving companion will in time, become special in their own way.

You loved me very much and I loved you.

My spirit will always be with you, and no matter how deep my sleep, my grateful heart will always remember you.

(Author unknown)

Thank you for your condolences and the support you've provided over the last couple of years while Sara was going through her bouts with cancer - it has been much appreciated. I was very lucky to have had such a wonderful companion for so many years and she is/will be missed.