BC Boards

Microchipping your dog

aschlemm

I was getting ready to send in updated information to Avid (Pet trac) for my older Border and decided to check his microchip when I took him to work with me. Arg! It no longer works! I do remember it was taking longer to scan and it had seemed to move over his right shoulder. Perhaps it migrated out? I had him microchipped at 5 months of age. Maybe that isn't something that should be done. Usually, the dogs I microchip at work are under anesthesia and are 8 months and older. Regardless, he is now re-microchipped and registered with Petlink. Perhaps his craziness short circuited the Avid chip, I'll have to see how the new one fares. :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was getting ready to send in updated information to Avid (Pet trac) for my older Border and decided to check his microchip when I took him to work with me. Arg! It no longer works! I do remember it was taking longer to scan and it had seemed to move over his right shoulder. Perhaps it migrated out? I had him microchipped at 5 months of age. Maybe that isn't something that should be done. Usually, the dogs I microchip at work are under anesthesia and are 8 months and older. Regardless, he is now re-microchipped and registered with Petlink. Perhaps his craziness short circuited the Avid chip, I'll have to see how the new one fares. :)

Hope you chose a different chip company....you may have read about my bad experiences with Avid, above. Or, if not, then I hope the company has improved.

No more Avid!!! He is now microchipped with a Datamar international chip. My other dog has a HomeAgain chip and it scanned fine. I think I'll register her with Petlink (Datamar) also. Even if the Avid chip had scanned ok, after reading your story I was going to register him with another company just to be safe!