BC Boards

Herding ?

We are going to go to our vet when he is 10 months to check his growth plates and see where we are at with them. So hopefully they are closed by then, but I'll check with her with what she meant by introduction to the weave poles.

10-11 months? Most likely not in a BC.

Check out the topic on spaying - here in the General Border Collie Discussion. It was posted within the last week and will be easy to find.

Jovi

Just to make clear, the skeleton has many growth plates, some more important than others, and they all close at different times. All a vet would do by xray would be to check the major bones.

This table gives an idea of how complex the issue is -

http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diagnostics/growthplatedogs.htm

There was an aricle on breed specific closure rates many years ago in Clean Run. I seem to recall that the last closure in a Beagle would normally be around 10 - 11 months. The bigger the dog, the later the closure as a rule. I would class BCs as average sized dogs.

As for weaving, I would start around 12 months and I would not start slow and hope to gain speed. I would probably do some light entry only work before that though. The spine doesn't have growth plates but in weaving stress is put on the limbs that do and it's important to have good muscular development to support the spine.

• 2 years later...

I know people who know, respect, and recommend the Closes. Although I don't have first-hand knowledge of them, this seems very contrary to anything I have ever heard about them.

Why don't people use their real names when posting? Never understood this. Here a person comes onto this site, posts very inflammatory comments, has 2 posts total and goes by the name "stardew". If one is going to post things like this, then have the fortitude to sign with a real name.

I can't say I know Norm and Vicki extremely well, but I do know them well enough to be very suspicious of this claim. They are both highly regarded in the working dog world.

I imagine they'd sign their name to a posting.

Mike Neary

I don't know the Closes well, but have met Norm a few times, watched him give some lessons and never saw a situation like what was described.

Samantha

I actually do know Vicki and Norm Close very well and would, do, and will recommend them to folks for training without a moment of hesitation. I have purchased dogs from them, sent dogs to them for training, trained with both of them on their property and enjoyed their company. I can't speak to the incident reported above but I find it highly suspect and completely out of character for the people that I know.

dave imas

I've never heard of the Closes other than on here but two things need to be considered - firstly the dog world is very small and bad news travels fast, and secondly people on here are very quick to criticise others.

Word does not seem to have spread of the methods described as I would have expected it would if the description is accurate.

I think this is either someone with a grudge trying to discredit the Closes or a troll. One post, identical on two topics, with no facts given (like date and time), no real name, and no follow-up. I think this is something to be disregarded.

I have made the post put up by "Stardew" unavailable for now. We do not allow posting of negative comments about breeders or trainers by people who are unwilling to provide their name and contact information. I will be contacting the poster to see if s/he is willing to identify him/herself.

Is it possible that this person "Stardew" did in fact need such a correction?

Haha! Always the funny guy. Hi,Charlie! Miss you! B)

A