BC Boards

Tub Protector for Dog Baths? Also: Non-smelly Shampoo?

I just had my bathroom redone, and now have a fiberglass tub and shower, replacing the old iron and ceramic tiles. The old ones were ugly and meant for the garbage, so I didn't worry about bathing the dog in the tub. Now, I'm worried about scratching the new one.

Has anyone had any success finding something to use as a tub liner for a fiberglass or acrylic tub/shower? I can't bathe Buddy outside during the cold months, and occasionally he does get into something stinky.

Also... the dog shampoos I've used have SUCH strong scent that they make my eyes water after Buddy dries off. Mind you, I have really sensitive eyes and skin, but I imagine that if the scent bugs me, it must be many times worse for Buddy's sensitive nose. Has anyone found a relatively inexpensive, mild shampoo that doesn't have a strong, lingering scent? I can't pay $15/bottle - my science/skeptic mind knows most shampoos are chemically identical, and I only pay $.99 per bottle for my own shampoo - but I just want something that's not designed to make the dog smell like pine trees or lavender or something!

Thanks!

Mary

Guest WoobiesMom

I use this shampoo and its matching conditioner and it doesn't smell much at all:

http://tinyurl.com/yoedzx

I also use the El Cheapo Extra Stinky rubber bathmats from Walmart. The rubber never stops smelling so I put it outside in my shed after his bath, but it keeps him from slipping and sliding all over the place. They're pretty thick so it would probably protect your fiberglass tub also.

I use Trail Eze Washing Paste from the equine section of my farm/ranch supply store. No scent and really inexpensive. It's a paste that I dilute a lot for ease of application. A little goes a long way, so be conservative when you use this.

My dermatologist vet says the general rule of thumb is to rinse for twice as long as you lather to be sure of getting all the residue out.

If you don't want to buy a bath mat, you can buy rubber sheets from Omaha Vet. They're meant for car seat protectors, but you can cut one into exactly the size of your new tub. One side is rubbery and non slip, the other side is sort of felted.

Ruth n the BC3

I've had good success with this line of shampoos:

http://www.synergylabs.com/shampoos.htm

My favorite is the blue (aloe) forumla. It does have a scent, but it is very, very mild and pleasant.

But the clear (Simple Clean) has absolutely no scent whatsoever.

I use Vet Solutions Aloe and Oatmeal shampoo and conditioner--I have yet to go through a whole bottle in 18 months.

I put a towel in the floor of the tub and over the side of the tub to keep her comfortable and to save from scratches. The one over the side makes it easier on MY arms too. :rolleyes: I'm too lazy to fool with anything else in the tub--like a mat--that I would have to clean--I like to swipe and go...

I just ring them out and throw them in the wash with the towels that I dry her with.

Charlene

I use Earth Bath - Mango Tango - and it's wonderful. It's not overly scented, at my pet food store they sell a 16oz. for $11. It lasts longer than any other shampoo I've tried (i.e. walmart brands) and Lizzie is a long haird BC mix.

I use Mango Tango Earthbath too (though I want to try other varieties of the Earthbath) and it's fantastic. It leaves the coat with a nice scent but not one that's overbearing and too strong. While I love the Mango Tango's scent there is Oatmeal and Aloe and and Tee Tree Oil that would probably leave a completely different type of smell and probably less of one.

I wish I could try some different shampoos on our boys. Jake has such bad dander and just about anything makes JJ itch, so I'm stuck using Head & Shoulders. It's the only one that both seem to be able to tolerate. It helps Jake's dander and JJ doesn't scratch as much.

Thanks for the suggestions! I like the sound of the Earthbath stuff.

Today I was reading a decorating book, and they showed a mudroom where the owners had a slate floor and a tub sunken into the floor several inches, just for bathing the dog!

Someday, when I win the lottery!

:rolleyes:

Mary