BC Boards

is my border collie pregnant?

Can anyone tell me if my collie is pregnant. She was lined about 3 and a half weeks ago and i have noticed that her teats are a bit bigger. She is lying down a lot and she wants a lot more attention that usual, always lying under your legs when you sit down, when she eats her dinner she cant eat it quick enough and is always watching other people eat because she seems to want more, quite greedy to be honest, can some one help me with the signs of pregnancy please, oh she was locked for 20 mins with the dog as well, please help, thanks

As AK Dog Doc posted on another thread, all female dogs go through false pregnancy whether bred or not, so signs of mammary glands getting bigger, etc., are not PROOF the dog is indeed pregnant.

Was this an unplanned breeding? If so, I think it would be wise to have a vet check your bitch just to make sure everything is in order healthwise. (If it was a planned breeding then I assume you took all the necessary steps to make sure you bred a healthy bitch to a healthy dog in the first place.) Vets can palpate to determine pregnancy at around 25 days. You can also have ultrasound done if you want to be sure. Otherwise, you just have to wait the 63 days and see if puppies come. At about 7 weeks she would generally begin to look pregnanct (big belly), but if it's a small litter she may not even ever show.

Here's a recent thread discussing this very subject (why the search function is so handy!):

http://www.bordercollie.org/cgi-bin/ultima...t=011505#000000

J.