BC Boards

Metacam and Prednisone

Jo&Tex

Nell has pain tonight and I want to help her. All I have in the house is Metacam which I believe is a NSAID medication. She's whiny and restless. I've seen a decline in her health over the weekend. She ate well and ran through the cornfields on our walk, but tonight it is obvious that she's struggling.

Everything I've read says don't combine these 2 drugs. Nell is on 100mg of Prednisone a day.

Does anyone have any pain management tips?

Nell has pain tonight and I want to help her. All I have in the house is Metacam which I believe is a NSAID medication. She's whiny and restless. I've seen a decline in her health over the weekend. She ate well and ran through the cornfields on our walk, but tonight it is obvious that she's struggling.

Everything I've read says don't combine these 2 drugs. Nell is on 100mg of Prednisone a day.

Does anyone have any pain management tips?

Yeah don't combine those things. No NSAIDS with steroids.

You can try tramadol along with prednisone. Admittedly, it did not do much for Briggs, but for some dogs it helps quite a bit. And it's rather inexpensive.

RDM

Just a suggestion - as you know my Sara has liver cancer and in the last couple of months has started showing some signs of pain. My vet prescribed Tramadol and Rimadyl - apparently a NSAID like Rimadyl boosts the relief from the Tramadol. (Sara has taken low-dose Rimadyl for arthritis for several years - her liver cancer is not the type associated with Rimadyl usage). I have Sara on a relatively low maintenance dose of the two medications and her pain is managed w/o affecting her quality of life.

My best to Nell - poor old girl - she's in the best possible hands though, and I'm sure you'll make her remaining time as pain-free as possible.

Yes, Nell has lymphoma. She woke me up singing for her breakfast but she wouldn't eat it. She's still whining but occasionally she lets out a soft, low howl. It's unnerving to listen to. She did finally eat later in the morning and enjoyed a slow walk thru the fields with the other dogs. She's pretty pokey but she wants to be active.

I got into a scrap with the vet today over the Tramadol. He told me that if Nell needs pain relief then I should be making The Appointment instead. I said, No, she has discomfort and her general quality of life is still good. He did finally give me some meds for her and suggested we up the Prednisone again. I will call and ask about the Rimadyl as well.

I am using the Quality of Life guideline from Pawspice. Nell is still scoring fairly high on the 7 parameters. If her breathing gets any worse or the discomfort intensifies, then I'll have a decision to make.

Nell exists in the here and now. Me, I worry about the what ifs.

A bit OT, but what's

the Quality of Life guideline from Pawspice

Thanks,

A

• 2 weeks later...