BC Boards

Potty Training on 7.5 weeks old BC

I just got my first BC pup (7.5 weeks) four days ago. I have four cats, one lab pup who is already house trained (took him one week). So we already have a pet door that's leading to back yard.

My new BC, Jasmine would go out and take care business only if I am outside. Otherwise, she would go elsewhere. I tell her "NO" right after she does and take her outside. I try to catch her sniffing around and circling around before she does it but she does it so quick, it's always too late.

How long does it usually take for BC puppies? My lab was extreamely obedient and hated being told off. But Jasmine already has a little attitude. Any suggestions?

Treat your puppy like you would a one year old child without a diaper. If you can't watch him, don't give him freedom of your house. Take him outside and wait for him to relieve himself and then let him inside to play (but still watch him). When you're not watching him with both eyes, put him in a kennel; or leash him to your belt. My oldest BC accidently learned to ring a string of sleigh bells (holiday decorations)and we were amazed when his 3 month old brother (who didn't even live here full time) picked up on the behavior. All but one of our BCs ring the bells when they need to go out; we're on our third set of bells! (The one who doesn't ring to go out is totally housebroken; just doesn't need to go out very often!)

Barb S

Oreo accidently discovered our set of sleigh bells hanging on the back door, too (also left over from Christmas). My son now uses the idea for his little pug. She rings one tiny little bell. Oreo rings a long leather strip of many bells. Sometimes when he REALLY wants out he make quite a commotion.

It works great!

In my own experience, BC's take a little longer to housebreak. Being obedient or smart has nothing to do with it. They become so wrapped up with what's going on outside, they forget what they're out there for, so you have to be consistent, observant, and develop great timing to scoop them up and take them out and praise. Watch & make sure your pup actually does potty outside before you bring her in. This is the main reason that they might take a little longer to housebreak than other breeds. I think it's true to the nature of the breed that even as pups they see other things need tending to that take priority over bodily functions.

Stay with the pup, remind her of what she is out there for. If she doesn't potty outside, bring her in and put her right in the crate. Take her out again in a little while. She will catch on.

Vicki

Vicki

When I got Buddy at 8 weeks old he was house trained in about a month. He still has yet to have an accident in the house. Crate training is great. He'd go in when we were sleeping or had to go somewhere, and then we would let him out every half hour or so to go to the bathroom after play time. It worked well and he got trained so fast.

We have two bc's, a male pup about 7 m old and a 3 yr. old female. We acquired the male when he was 9 wks old, so we had to potty train him. He took about 1 1/2 months to completely train. Our routine was to take him out immediately in the morning after he woke up, anytime after meals, playing, and naps. We also let him out immediately after we got home from work. We were always with him when he would go potty outside and immediately reward him with a treat for doing it outside. Any time he was left unattended, we confined him to the kitchen with baby gates. He was also crated at night until we fully trusted him to not to do his business on the carpet. If he had an accident and we caught him in the process, we would make a loud noise to get him to stop the process and take him outside imediately, then praise him for going outside. If the mess was already made and we found it later, we would just ignore him. It did seem to take awhile, but eventually he would start to signal that he needed to go outside. Some dogs have subtle body language when they need to go, so watch your dog and do your best to learn what they are trying to tell you. Good luck!! -MA

We have a 4 month old female (Daisy Mae) - got her when she was about 8 weeks old.. potty training has been tough. She definitely doesn't give you much notice - as soon as the sniffing and circles start - we are out the door. I like the idea of the bells and I think we are going to give that a try - the only problem is she is very "social" and has several "friends" in our neighborhood that she likes to visit often - so, our smart little puppy has realized that the sniffs and circles get her extra outside time... and I have a feeling the bells will be a ringin'!

When you train them with bells, do you ring it when you take them outside? or would you ring it while they are taking care of business?

I have it hanging by the door and whenever I take her out, I ring a couple of times so she would hopefully pick up on it. Sometimes, she would just try to play with it. -- and cats

I think Skye (our first bell dog) accidently rang the bells when he was by the door hopefully wanting to go out. I put him out and from then on he would ring the bells to go out. When I was dating my husband who owns Skye's younger brother Blaze, we heard Blaze ringing the bells and I said he needed to go out. Russ insisted he didn't know about bell ringing signal to go out and Blaze then came in the living room, looked at us and wet on the carpet. We believed Blaze and the rest of our BCs since that day!

Barb S