BC Boards

Suggestions for resource guarding?

Duncan (an only dog; neutered 1-year-old male) loves other dogs. When we're out on an off-leash walk, he happily sniffs them; if the other dog seems friendly, I'll hang around, and he'll usually initiate play (with "play bows" and invitations to chase).

However... on Saturday we met a 13-week-old puppy. (Owner said she had just gotten all its shots and was OK to be around older dogs). She seemed timid at first, and the owner explained that the neighbor's dog had attacked her when she first brought her home.

Duncan was sniffing in a friendly manner, with his tail waving. But when I started petting the puppy, he let out a peeved growly "woof!" in her direction. I interpreted it as resource guarding (with me as the resource), "jealousy" of the attention I was paying the pup. (He very rarely barks). I felt really bad as the pup had just started to relax around Duncan but reverted to "full retreat" mode.

How would you handle this? I've had a trainer who has said to never scold a dog for growling; they will learn to skip this step and proceed straight to snapping.

I don't want to become the trail pariah whose dog growls or snaps when I make a fuss over any dog I meet. I could try dishing out treats to both dogs (with the owner's consent) while I pat the other one, but I'm not sure that would elicit this sort of response from Duncan (he'd be more likely to focus on treats than on the fact that I was patting another dog).

He has quite happily handled it when I make a fuss over some of his friends in his presence (something that happened later that same evening).

This sort of behavior is very common, though something that should be nipped in the bud. Left unchecked, resource guarding can turn ugly. Reprimanding growls may sometimes lead to a dog that just snaps instead, but not always and I don't think it would it would be too likely in this situation. I make a point of ensuring that whatever a dog is trying to claim will be lost if he resource guards. So, a dog on my lap who growls at another dog finds himself on the floor. On the sofa, he's told to get off. Wanting all the treats for himself and he gets none (my dogs are never more tolerant of close quarters and jostling than when I'm handing out cookies). Trying to intimidate a dog away from me, he's made to lie down a few feet away until I am done and then I praise and pet him for waiting his turn.

All that said, I've also found it very effective to help a RG dog learn to associate the interloper with good things. Praise, play, treats. So when the dog sees you petting another dog, he'll know that his time is coming. Duncan is still a kid himself and I found Quinn developing stronger opinons about things as he matured from about 18 months to 3 years. What he was fine with at 10 months, he objected to at 18 months and could be downright cranky about at 3 years. You may see more RG so it is great that you are wanting to work with him on it right from the start. If you have clear expectations for his behavior and are consistent, this should only be a phase. Or he may always want you to himself, but he'll learn he doesn't have a say in the matter. :rolleyes:

Thanks. I'm inclined if it happens again to tell him sternly that he is being RUDE (he hates to be told he's being rude) and to make him go lie down a few feet away while I made a fuss over the puppy. Then to give him great praise for holding a down/stay. But I worried over this trainer's recommendation not to chastise a dog for growling. So I mostly (instinctively) said "hey!" and then backed off from the situation - which of course at least partially taught him that if he pitched a fit that I'd stop petting the puppy.

I am definitely in favor of nipping things in the bud. But I am more likely to succeed if I have a plan in mind before the situation presents itself.

I am definitely in favor of nipping things in the bud. But I am more likely to succeed if I have a plan in mind before the situation presents itself.

Yes, it always helps to be prepared and have a plan. He's only gotten away with the behavior once so it's not like you have an ingrained behavior here. Plus he looks so angelic in his photo that I'm sure he'll fall in line quickly. Then again my ridicously cute Lhasa, often described as "sweet" by the unsuspecting, is quite evil. :rolleyes:

Then again my ridicously cute Lhasa, often described as "sweet" by the unsuspecting, is quite evil. :rolleyes:

I've been bitten by a decent amount of dogs, but the only dog I was ever viciously attacked by was a Lhasa. That dog just wasn't wired right. It was eventually put down because it attacked the owner's daughter for no reason, and she had to get plastic surgery on her face.

I was going to post about this same problem. Rievaulx ( he is now 9.5 months) has no resource guarding issues with food toys etc at home, I am not even sure it was resource guarding where does resource guarding become pack protection. After living with a GSDx I have no problem with having a dog that thinks its job is to protect you from bad things, she was very good at knowing the difference between OK and not.

This what happened I took him over to the neighbors to play with their 7 month old lab, every thing was fine while playing off leash I could pet and play with the lab, when we went to leave I put Rievaulx back on his leash at the garden gate and when the lab came up to me Rievs started to growl at him. He has always been fine with other dogs and does not have any problems when off leash, although as he is getting older (he is not fixed yet) he is starting to get bossy with new dogs but settles down quickly.

The next day we had a nasty incident when we were out walking, both dogs were off leash and went to meet three labs and one of them jumped Brody and had him in his Jaws before anyone knew what was happening. Luckily Brody was a fine, but once the Lab had been been pulled off Brody, Rievaulx wanted a piece of him and it took longer to get him settled than a rather shook up Brody. I never think of him as a small dog but the lab just engulfed him and was very glad that we were all there as I don't think the labs lady owner and I could have seperated them easily. My husband had the labs back legs in the air and he was not dropping Brody, meanwhile the labs owner literally pulled Brody out of her dogs mouth, something makes me think it was not the first time.

So back to the point, I see a direct connection in his behavior in both these incidents, is this resource guarding that needs to be nipped in the bud and if so what is the best approach.

I've been bitten by a decent amount of dogs, but the only dog I was ever viciously attacked by was a Lhasa. That dog just wasn't wired right.

Well, now I need to defend my little monster. He may be awful in many ways (possessive, opinionated, intrusive, demanding and utterly incorrigible), but he has the loveliest inhibited bite, would die for me and is often very engaging and charming to friends and strangers alike. I always say he didn't ask to be born a Lhasa. :rolleyes:

I was going to post about this same problem. Rievaulx ( he is now 9.5 months) has no resource guarding issues with food toys etc at home, I am not even sure it was resource guarding where does resource guarding become pack protection. After living with a GSDx I have no problem with having a dog that thinks its job is to protect you from bad things, she was very good at knowing the difference between OK and not.

Over they years, I've come to the conclusion that most dogs are not good at knowing the difference between OK and not, at least not in today's world. I've had exactly one dog in my life who did have a good sense of when to guard and he had great control over his display (i.e., did not escalate into biting or even snapping - except the time a developmental disabled neighbor tried to enter the house while we were sleeping and even then he only gave very inhibited nips when she did not understand why he was growling and barking at her). The rest of my dogs have ranged from thinking everyone was their new BFF to thinking everyone was a Cuban spy. I see the same thing in other dogs I know. Plus, unless I am being physically attacked, I want my dogs to let me decide who is ok and who isn't.

Without knowing Rievaulx, I can't say for sure but it doesn't sound like RG to me. I wouldn't think of it as pack protection either. From what you write, it sounds to me like some leash/barrier aggression where a dog is relaxed loose and off leash, but behind a fence or on leash can be more reactive or aggressive. And possibly the start of fear aggression. I definitely consider this bud nipping worthy. :rolleyes: I would probably take a clicker based approach to it. I've found Emma Parson's Click to Calm really helpful for fear, reactivity, or aggression issues. It's also a great clicker book in general.

Vala resource guarded me from the cats (and neighbors' dogs) when we first got her (low level aggression, muzzle punching basically, with the cats, and a very brief lip curl with other dogs--the occasional barely perceptible growl). The solution was several steps long and started at home: (a.) teach her a time out cue, that makes her remove herself from the situation, (b.) send her to time out when she did it, shut the door on her, and make a HUGE BIG DEAL outside the door loving on the cats, (c.) teach her that if she calmly approaches and sits while I am petting the cats, I will love on both of them (looking at each of them intermittently and telling them what good dogs/cats they are), (d.) add a "be a good dog" cue, to the home scenario outlined in c, (e.) extend to neighbors' dogs, using the phrase "be a good dog" to remind her of the good behavior I want outside the home, then reinforcing with treats and praise outside the home. We've had her nine months; it has been about six months since she has done anything but be completely friendly with another dog. I still call out "be a good dog" when she is about to meet someone and their owner (because initially she would try to resource guard other dogs' owners from them, once she had made eye contact with them and was getting love). She clearly knows what I mean too, now, when I call that out, because anytime she has to share affection, she comes to me immediately afterwards, tail up, prancing, totally proud of herself and looking for praise. Which she gets of course.

Mary:

What a great suggestion!!! And I love your approach. For some reason it had never even occurred to me to see if Duncan would do this with the cat. (Perils of an aging mind). I'll have to test it out. It'd sure be easier to practice on him at home than to wait until (if?) it occurs while we're out and I'm potentially dealing with a disgruntled owner as well. Plus the cat is pretty self-assured; I don't think there's anything that could perturb him. I'd hate to scare another puppy again.

Mary:

What a great suggestion!!! And I love your approach. For some reason it had never even occurred to me to see if Duncan would do this with the cat. (Perils of an aging mind). I'll have to test it out. It'd sure be easier to practice on him at home than to wait until (if?) it occurs while we're out and I'm potentially dealing with a disgruntled owner as well. Plus the cat is pretty self-assured; I don't think there's anything that could perturb him. I'd hate to scare another puppy again.

Thanks, but I didn't mean to advocate using a cat as bait! In my situation, it started with the cats (or rather that was how we first noticed it because that was who she was first introduced to), so that was the initial problem that needed to be solved. Whatever you do, be sweet to kitty! I only posted my strategy because it was what worked for me, pretty well, and quickly, a positive approach. I imagined you would have to do a lot of adapting for your scenario (like using another solid temperamented dog Duncan's size).

:D Ok not trying to steal the post.

Have some issue with Troy resource guarded me/or people giving him love. If another dogs come up while he is getting loves he get very defencive unless its Cressa or one of the cats. I am not sure if he just doesn't like my roommates dogs, if its a boy-boy thing, or if he just doesn't like a being crowded or what. The more dogs out the more likely he is to guard me. Outside he is fine. Agility trial he is fine with other dogs. Classes he is fine. Outing he is fine with other dogs. Just home he can have issues. **I know he does NOT like my roommates pup. I normally just keep them seperate.**

If i am giving him loves and another dogs come up to get their share. He will stiffen and slightly turn his head. At this point he(Troy) is told go away or look away(too many dogs around) depending on the area or situation. When told go away he will back up a few steps sink into a down and give the stink eye to the dog and once released will run back to me like that was the worst punishment ever while glaring at the other dog. But won't start anything. If told look away he has to turn his head away from the dog that he is stressing over. then praised for looking away. It normally calms him down/deflects that mode to just look away for a few seconds.

If he has growled and you tell him to go away he will lash out/snap at the other dog that intruded. I made the mistake of getting mad at him one time when he snapped at another dog. I had told Troy to back away and Troy tried correct the other dog still. He was immediatedly down, scolded and then I ignored him for a couple of minutes. He later told the other dog off. :rolleyes:

he doesn't have any issue with Cressa. Cressa can get loved whenever she want and Troy might glance at her to see who it it but thats it. Its just my roommates pack he seem to just not like in the house. Might sound a little defensesive here: Her pack do swarm people and him and are hard to control. The pup which so far none of the adults like will just not stop bothering him if he is loose. I am not sure if he is justing picking up me not liking all the dogs loose or something.

I like the time out idea but am not sure if it would work or if it would back fire. As in if he would get over jealous that the other dogs is now getting all the attention and he is seperated.

Thanks, but I didn't mean to advocate using a cat as bait! In my situation, it started with the cats (or rather that was how we first noticed it because that was who she was first introduced to), so that was the initial problem that needed to be solved. Whatever you do, be sweet to kitty! I only posted my strategy because it was what worked for me, pretty well, and quickly, a positive approach. I imagined you would have to do a lot of adapting for your scenario (like using another solid temperamented dog Duncan's size).

Mary:

Not to worry. The cat firmly rules this roost. In fact I'm not sure that I'll be able to elicit this sort of reaction from Duncan in the presence of the cat, as I suspect he's well aware of this fact. Certainly the boys pet them both simultaneously without any signs of hostility (well, the cat will occasionally "pat" the dog). Here's a shot of the two of them together from last Xmas; the cat is clearly in charge of things.

4606978162_8e02cc1a57_o.jpg

Tried it tonight. No one else was home so the cat deigned to sit in my lap, for once. (Usually he gravitates to DS or else to DH). I made a fuss over him. Duncan came up while I was doing so, tail waving, and sniffed the cat. I petted Duncan too. Then I upped the ante by offering the cat a treat. Duncan just sat and waited. Cat sniffed it and rejected it so Duncan ended up with it.

I don't think I'm going to be able to establish any resource guarding between the two of them. Maybe it has to involve a dog.

Archived