BC Boards

Any beginner Herding Clinics-Colorado??

Have a 1 1/2 year old BC who I'd love to take to a herding clinic. He's out with my horses several times a week...I'm sure he knows what he's doing as it's instinct, but I'd love to learn how to control it more.

Does anyone know of any herding clinics/classes (not interested in sending him off to a trainer) in Colorado? In in Arvada which is just north of Denver.

Also, are there any books/dvd's worth checking out to give me some pointers? I know it's more a matter of training me and getting some commands communicated properly.

post-8009-1208889504_thumb.jpg

What a lovely looking dog!

I hope when you say he is "out with your horses...you're sure he knows what he's doing because it's instinct...and you'd like to control it more" that you are not saying that he is interacting with the horses without supervision (ie, trying to work your horses on his own) or even trying to work your horses with your supervision. I think I speak for most folks when I say that dogs should not be working (or attempting to work) horses, period. It's too dangerous.

Your interest in getting to a quality clinic (or finding a good trainer) is the best start. There are a number of people who give very good clinics and a number of good trainers. I am sure others here could recommend someone in your area who gives lessons.

Good books or DVDs to give you instruction or just an overview and a basic understanding of stockwork with dogs include Derek Scrimgeour's book "Talking Sheepdogs" (really great for basics) or his DVDs "Training the Working Sheepdog", "The Shepherd's Pup" (really good), or his newest, "Training Secrets of a Hill Shepherd" (which I think might be more helpful once you've got some familiarity with stockdogs). There are others that are very helpful, including Bruce Fogt's "Lessons from a Sheepdog" and Virgil Holland's "Herding Dogs - Progressive Training".

One caveat is that trainers and their methods "evolve" as they learn, too, and so some advice you might find in a book or video may be supplanted by new ideas or methods that same individual has developed. While books and DVDs may be very helpful, I think they are best for giving a beginner an overview and basic understanding - to really train and to deal with problems, hands-on instruction with a capable trainer is essential for most individuals.

While not all clinicians/trainers are the best choice for all handlers or dogs, some that are highly considered (and that I think are excellent for beginners) include Kathy Knox, Elvin Kopp, and Scott Glen. Try going to some USBCHA sheepdog or cattledog trials in your area (a calendar of these can be found at www.usbcha.com in the sheepdog or cattledog section, under "upcoming trials", I think it is), meeting handlers, and finding who is giving lessons in your area. Look for folks who have a relationship with their dogs that you admire and would like to emulate, and look for a chance to speak to them *after* they have run their dog (or, at least, not shortly beforehand).

Best yet, contact trial organizers in your area and offer to volunteer - there are lots of needs for folks who don't handle dogs or stock, but can help with hospitality, score-keeping, or other jobs. That's a great way to meet people and be able to ask for references for instruction, as well as be able to observe handlers and their dogs.

Best wishes!

We have kind of a dearth of stockdog trainers in Colorado, unfortunately. You can try Cathy Balliu, she's in Fort Lupton, maybe 45 minutes to an hour northwest of Arvada. I have worked a bit with her in the past, and she's pretty good with people starting out. I'd also recommend that you come up to some of the local trials this spring to meet some of the local handlers. These include the Hotchkiss sheepdog trial May 9-11 in Hotchkiss (so this one is kind of far), the Colorado High Country SDT in Hot Sulphur Springs (near Granby) over Memorial Day weekend, and the Colorado Horsepark SDT in Parker June 13-15. Another resource is the Mountain and Plains Border Collie Association.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Laura

Also worth the road trip to see Meeker just after Labor Day,

A

ETA: and what Sue said about not working horses...

Thanks, we sure love him. He's supposedly 3/4 BC & 1/4 Kelpie. He's a sweetie.

Correct, he is not out working them (there's just 3). When he was younger he would nip at their heels and bark. That was stopped right away. He stays right by me when I'm grooming my horse and follows us while we ride. Nothing more. He's never worked anything, but I'd like to teach him how so that if I need his help, we can do it together and he & I both understand.

I'll check out the websites suggested by you all and also check into Cathy Balliu. I heard of a clinic Memorial Day weekend but of course we'll be out of town. I'll also check into the books/dvd's listed.

Thanks!

post-8009-1208966492_thumb.jpg

Good for you, training him to not "work" the horses. We have had several good stockdogs that were terrific around the horses and on the trail, a couple that have tried to "work" the horses (my fault in poorly training to avoid the issue), one that's a bit fearful (my mare sneezes or snorts, and Megan's heading for home), and one that is properly respectful but not interested (maybe I finally got it right).

Do try an attend a sheepdog trial if you can. You can see what can be done with a good dog (after lots of learning on yours and the dog's part) and make valuable contacts.