BC Boards

Smooth-Coated Border Collie ?

I got my dog Lolly from a county shelter about 5 months ago.

They assure me that she is mostly (if not fully) Border Collie. However, my vet disagrees and thinks that she is a Pointer Mix. If she is a Border Collie, she's definitely a Smooth Coat but I can find very, very few photos out there that I can use for comparison.

Does anyone here know enough about Smooth-Coat BC to advise me?

Her behavior leads me to believe that she is definitely not a pointer - she does not like to retrieve in any fashion. She likes to stalk, wrestle and play tug of war with ropes or chew toys until she is so exhausted that she can no longer run. She's got a very, very intense gaze that definitely reminds me more of a Border Collie.

She's full grown now and about 41 pounds.

Here's photos:

be24d8a02d46.jpg

c8a8380cdae6.jpg

5c4c7f1f39c3.jpg

2be74167a3e0.jpeg

3bdcaf0ea431.jpeg

2fa827a66664.jpeg

c1116f48af35.jpg

279e48b3949f.jpeg

010743ea5e77.jpg

Lolly is a gorgeous dog. I have to agree with the vet though. In many ways, bird dogs are my favorite breed of dog. For the most part they are the most gentle dogs you will find. I have Ruger the Border and Casey a Springer Spaniel. When Casey dies I will buy another Border Collie but in the mean time I have two great dogs that compliment one another in their differences.

I agree that she looks like a pointer. The not pointing is not definitive: my Niki is either BC or BC & Australian Shepherd (I've gotten different stories), yet she will often do a classic point when she sees something interesting but not immediately chaseable.

I agree that she looks like a pointer. The not pointing is not definitive: my Niki is either BC or BC & Australian Shepherd (I've gotten different stories), yet she will often do a classic point when she sees something interesting but not immediately chaseable.

I definitely see the pointer in her, mostly in her legs and the ticking across her back. But she looks a lot like my Cali whom I rescued about 5 days ago who has the same ticking and looks like a smooth-rough coat =). I just posted pics!

I definitely see the pointer in her, mostly in her legs and the ticking across her back. But she looks a lot like my Cali whom I rescued about 5 days ago who has the same ticking and looks like a smooth-rough coat =). I just posted pics!

I disagree. Cali's head is shaped differently. Cali *might* be a bc x pointer mix but Lolly looks pointer to me.

Lolly is a cutie pie!!

Similar markings, but they definitely look different from each other. I really see no BC in Lolly - but I would say there is a chance Cali could be purebred.

I see pointer too, certainly not full BC - IMO anyway - maybe not any BC. The behavior you describe does not mean BC, really any intense breed. She sorta reminds me (looks AND behavior) of a dog I know around here. A Pointer-whippet I think she is..... Here are some pics:

MudPack2007046.jpg

MudPack2007503.jpg

MudPack2007666.jpg

She looks Pointer to me. Maybe a little BC but not much. They probably thought it was BC because it was B&W. Like people around here do. She sure is beautiful though.

I don't know...looking at some pointer pics her muzzle is not square or jowly enough to be mostly pointer, and she's smaller than even the smallest pointers. But those hound dog ears are definitely not BC!!! Something about the eyes suggest BC so maybe BC/hound?

She sure is a cutie and looks like lots of fun!!!

But those hound dog ears are definitely not BC!!!

Some very well known and excellent working border collies would beg to differ....

It's hard to tell just based on looks, but my first impression is "not a border collie" or at least a mix. Whether part of that mix is pointer, I have no idea. But ticking and hound ears aren't definitive markers one way or the other.

J.

I guess having no pure BCs of my own, and definitely don't even know any that are well known and excellent workers, my response was purely a GUESS. I'll keep my opinions to myself from now on...

No need to take offense or to keep your opinions to yourself. But if you are going to state something emphatically, you might also want to add that it's just your opinion, as you did in your subsequent post.

J.

We really would need to know more about her behavior to tell. If Hailey were judged on appearance, in a region that is not widely populated by bc's, folks would not tag her as such. ANd as for me, I thought her behavior was so odd (LOL), I would have thought she was purely nut dog--many of her behaviors are out of synch with retrievers, but very in synch with bc's.

The BC Museum at one time included rose ears - UNTIL within the last six months--so here we see the "preference" taking hold with regard to form (ie, prick or semi prick). I agree that she does not have a pointer head...but is a mixed head :rolleyes:. BC's are after all descended from a sheepdog - flat coated retriever mix.

I think she could be a BC mix; if not Pointer, then English springer (I always get that wrong...but I think that's it).