BC Boards

Nexguard?

Root Beer

We've used it our our two (1 year and 9 months old) and have yet to see a tick on them. They tend to drag each other around by their collars when they're playing, so flea/tick collars and spot treatments aren't a good option for us.

The negative is it's more expensive.

We heard really good reviews of the Seresto flea and tick collars at Petsmart, so we have those on the cats. The collars are supposed to be good for 8 months.

I don't want to do collars because I do pet my dogs frequently, and they share our furniture.

I can handle the topicals because I just have to remember keep clear for a couple of days. I'm just considering this as an alternative because that process is somewhat messy.

I just started using it 2 months ago. My pup hates frontline and I don't really care for it either, so I figured I would try out nexgard (vet also recommended it). Positive is that it is way simpler to 'apply' then anything else. Also, since it is relatively new, you probably won't have to worry about ticks/fleas with resistance to other options like frontline. The only negative that I can think of is that it isn't a repellent, so it is possible that you will find a tick crawling around because they can take up to 6hrs to bite.

We have been in areas that we've encounter ticks before since I started using it, but we haven't really been doing to much hiking in heavy tick areas yet this year.

Oh, I guess another negative is that it is more expensive. I ordered mine from drsfostersmith.com and managed to get a 6pk for ~$100. It is listed at ~$122, but Foster&Smith usually have coupons available. Frontline would usually cost me ~$70 for a 6pk, but I think the extra $30 is worth it (so far).

Not to be flip, but what's best is what actually works for you and your pocketbook. The spot ons no longer work for me. Comfortis has worked, but doesn't kill ticks, which are a problem here. So far, Nexgard is working well for me. Frankly, I'd go with the least expensive/most effective product that works for you. And, unfortunately, what works for one person in one location may not work for another.

J.

I still use advantix for the dog and advantage for the cats. No problems here with effectiveness and price is reasonable on Amazon. I would be tempted to try something else if they didnt all require a prescription.

I agree with Julie, stick with what works for you (and your pets) and your wallet.

• 2 weeks later...

Both advantix and nexguard claim they will kill ticks within 48 hours. I was talking to the revolution rep the other day and she said revolution should kill them within 5 days but its a bit more specific on which ones it will kill. The advantix also claims to help repel ticks and even kill them just from them being in contact with the dog. I had a discussion with the nexguard rep and was asking what if someone is really paranoid about ticks, could they use nexguard and advantix and he told me yes because they are different drugs, however he would recommend spacing them out so there's about 2 weeks between them. I also asked him about using nexguard and revolution because I use the revolution mainly for its lice killing properties (there are lots of lice here) and he said that was ok too.

Personally I just use revolution sometimes...its actually been close to 2 months since I applied it. I brush and check the dogs almost daily for ticks, and the ticks around here only carry the tick paralysis so I'm not hugely concerned.

Roxanne,

I used to believe that as well, but then I had a vet (very well respected vets and practice) tell me that as long as the cat isn't grooming the dog and as long as the Advantix was dry on the dog, it wouldn't harm the cat. She used Advantix on her own dogs. I started using it then too (with 5 cats in the house) without any problems. I don't use it any more because it no longer controls ticks for my animals, but it is possible to safely use it if you want to.

J.

Speaking of Nexgard, which I am using with success, the only real issue I have is that the tick has to bite to be killed. The other day I found a live tick crawling on Kiss. I wasn't so concerned about her because I know the product works, but that tick could have easily crawled off of her and on to me. Ick! I wish there was a product that worked for me that would repel and kill....

J.

I'm using Seresto collar on my LGD. She must lay in tick beds as every night I'm still picking tons of ticks off her. Some dead some not.

I'm going to try Nexguard. But darn that collar was expensive for it not to work!

I use preventic collars on my border collies, with fine results. and Comfortis for fleas but only as needed.

Yes Julie I've often wondered if the spot ons would work for us! Just haven't tried it yet! lol

OMT, I've noticed that chiggers are out in force. Sometimes I see a dog itching at nothing. Me too. I think it's chigger bites.

Hmmm. My vet just told me not to use Advantix on the dogs if I had cats. I don't, but she was warning me just in case.

Have been using advantix for years with cats in the house and no issue. My Vet said the same thing Julie said,as long as the cats are not licking the dog a lot (which they don't at all) then it is fine.

I used to believe that as well, but then I had a vet (very well respected vets and practice) tell me that as long as the cat isn't grooming the dog and as long as the Advantix was dry on the dog, it wouldn't harm the cat.

I find it rather troubling then that this vet -- young and therefore recently graduated -- is so misinformed.

I don't have cats so it's not of concern to me personally, but it's the fact that she's spreading misinformation. makes me wonder what else she doesn't know. :P

Well, I think the literature may say that Advantix is unsafe for cats. After all, I still encounter vets who make blanket statements that border collies shouldn't be given ivermectin. The ticks in North Carolina are so bad that I think some vets at least must just have done some more in-depth investigating....

J.