• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Shetlander

Shetlander

Life is a beach.

• Registered Users
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:49 AM

>>If anyone has recommendations for other styles/brands, I would love to hear them.  After buying 5 kinds, my wallet says I have to quit looking.<<

It has been many years, since I ordered from dogbooties.com but they had an amazing choice of materials and fasteners for their boots. Despite the cutesy name, they sell to dog sledders I believe. Mine have been great. One got ripped after many years, but otherwise they have held up. You ordered individually rather than by sets.

Liz

#22 BillG

BillG

• Registered Users
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:32 PM

Funny it was just the other day I needed to take our BC outside and it was raining a little. I noticed Gina did not have that outer layer of protective fur that my lab had? Her fur is more like 3/4 inch or 18mm thick wool that did not look to be water shedding. So will she get that protective layer when she gets older?

Right at 4 months old now. I was thinking of a rain jacket, but right now here in Iowa its a pretty nice winter!

Retired teacher, HVAC/R & Electrician.  Gina -  Border Collie / Aussie pup.  Ankeny Laser Engraving

#23 GentleLake

GentleLake

• Registered Users
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:07 PM

Her puppy coat should change as she matures. Most border collies will have a harder top coat with a softer undercoat. The undercoat is often sparse in younger dogs, but tends to get denser as they mature.

I can't remember if Gina's purebred or not, but if she's a mix her coat could be influenced by whatever else is in her parentage.

"People in your life always come and go all the time; the dogs are always there for me. Always." ~Samantha Valle

#24 CptJack

CptJack

• Registered Users
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:01 AM

It will change and become less fluffy and soft and more weather resistant. 

It will likely not get anywhere near as water-proof as a labs. 

#25 BillG

BillG

• Registered Users
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for the replies.... Gina has some Aussie in her.  Dad was a working BC.  She will never be out in the rain or snow until she gets older, right now its just to explore, play and go potty.  Went to vet yesterday for her last shots and is now 26 lbs at 4 months.  Went from 12 at 2 months old and not a oz  of fat,  all that expensive food went to growing.

Retired teacher, HVAC/R & Electrician.  Gina -  Border Collie / Aussie pup.  Ankeny Laser Engraving

#26 GentleLake

GentleLake

• Registered Users
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:11 PM

Aussie coats are pretty similar to border collie coats. ;)

But, no, not as water resistant as Labs'.

"People in your life always come and go all the time; the dogs are always there for me. Always." ~Samantha Valle

#27 Sue R

Sue R

Bark less, wag more

• Registered Users
  • 12,847 posts
  • Interests:Stockdogs, horses, chocolate

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:49 AM

Not only is coat length (rough versus smooth) a possible consideration, but so is the presence or absence of a significant undercoat, along with the texture of the guard hairs and undercoat. 

Two of my dogs have guard hairs that shed the rain somewhat well, and the third has very soft guard hair (and a good bit of very soft undercoat) and her coat just soaks it up (and takes much longer to dry out). 

My longest-coated dog has hardly any undercoat. If he was not so active outside, he'd benefit from a dog coat when the temperatures drop. As it is, I only coat him when it's under 20 F. 

And while rough-coated dogs can have lots to little coat, so can smooth-coated dogs, varying from little undercoat to a very dense undercoat. 

The Aussies we have had, all working-bred, had much thicker, denser coats with hairs that were slightly crimped if you looked very, very closely - they were mud magnets, did not self-clean like the Border Collies tend to do, and once they got wet, took plenty of time to dry out. 

Variability - it's what happens! 

Sue Rayburn - Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult, but not the brightest firefly in the jar.

Celt, Megan, and Dan

"When the chips are down, watch where you step."

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything." - author unknown

#28 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:36 AM

I have never been the type of person to put clothes on a dog. Oh, maybe a bandanna for a special occasion, or for Freestyle dancing. But not otherwise.

But now I have this little terrier. I live in a very warm place, but I noticed the first 2 years I had this dog that all the hair fell off his ears every year around April.

Figuring it was the cold, even though it only goes below freezing a few times each winter, I designed an ultra-warm hat for him which, along with a warm coat, he now wears every time he goes outdoors any time the temperature is below 45 degrees. I know it sounds really silly, but since I have been doing that the hair never falls off his ears any more.

My border collies have never had hair fall off their ears. Nor any other dog I have had. I suppose it is because their ears are thicker, maybe have more fur, but it still puzzles me that this happens to my terrier. I have not heard of this being a common thing among terriers. (but I really don't know a lot about terriers).

D'Elle

and family.

Left to right: Kit, Jester, Boo, Digger

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg
"You gonna throw that?" --Jester:  2001 - June 24 2016. Remembered with much love.
"I'm grouchier than you are" --Kit

"I love everyone!" -- Boo

(Boing! Boing! Boing!)--Digger

And not pictured, Benjamin the cat, who thinks he is a small border collie with superpowers.

#29 GentleLake

GentleLake

• Registered Users
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 01:38 PM

^ I wonder if your terrier has some metabolic issue that make him less tolerant to cold. Perhaps low thyroid? I'm in the Northeast where it can get pretty cold in the winter (though nothing like the upper midwest. I think Fargo ND's forecast high for today was -5F!) but I never really used to get cold in the winter. Now that my thyroid's low I get cold, really cold, at temps I wouldn't even have registered as cold before.

#30 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 10:21 AM

Hmm. Had not thought of that.

Just in case, I will call the vet hospital where he had his recent surgery to ask them if thyroid was included in the pre-surgery blood panel that they ran.

thanks.

D'Elle

and family.

Left to right: Kit, Jester, Boo, Digger

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg
"You gonna throw that?" --Jester:  2001 - June 24 2016. Remembered with much love.
"I'm grouchier than you are" --Kit

"I love everyone!" -- Boo

(Boing! Boing! Boing!)--Digger

And not pictured, Benjamin the cat, who thinks he is a small border collie with superpowers.

#31 LauraV

LauraV

• Registered Users
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:49 PM

We use pawz booties and sweaters. It's pretty cold here in Illinois, and they have trouble walking outside without the booties. What's nice about the pawz booties is that they are rubber and the dogs aren't bothered by them. They are also easy to put on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.