BC Boards

2012 National USBCHA Finals at Klamath Falls, OR

TEC

As a reminder for those who aren't already competing, attending or watching via video, the National Finals are live streamed at:

http://sheepdogfinals.org/wordpress1/live-webcast/

It's free to viewer and good quality camera work. -- TEC

ETA -- Too bad the feed is inconsistent. Lots of frozen screens, and pauses while things are fixed. Hope it improves. -- TEC

As a reminder for those who aren't already competing, attending or watching via video, the National Finals are live streamed at:

http://sheepdogfinals.org/wordpress1/live-webcast/

It's free to viewer and good quality camera work. -- TEC

ETA -- Too bad the feed is inconsistent. Lots of frozen screens, and pauses while things are fixed. Hope it improves. -- TEC

I've been watching - it's not NFL live, but it "will do".

Liz

I know Five O'Clock Films. I watched the 2010 National Finals free live webcast on Five O'Clock Films. I watched the 2011 Bluegrass live webcast on Five O'Clock Films, and paid money I could ill afford for the privilege. I paid to watch the 2011 National Finals live webcast on Five O'Clock Films.

And LoadedTV...you're no Five O'Clock Films. </Lloyd Bentsen>

;)

Seriously...be a good idea to choose a different production company next year.

Oh fer f*ck's sake!

Hey I've already been typecast as a Cassandra, why fight it? :D

The above is actually extremely toned down from my initial reaction, which was more along the lines of: oh !@#$, I'm embarrassed to have promoted this to all my friends. I can barely see what's even happening, and I really *can't* tell what the announcer's saying most of the time.

I don't know what happened to Five O'Clock Films, if they were underbid or went bankrupt or what, but I pine for the days when they did the webcasts. I pine, I tell you!

:pines:

:D

Seriously now, last year we connected the computer to our 32" TV. You wanna claim you could do that this year? Seriously?

Here's what happened when the four of us tried to watch June:

Friend #1: The video's bad enough, but the sound...you really can't hear what they're saying at all.

SO: Could you turn it up?

Me: It's as high as it'll go.

SO: Well, it's not really that it's too quiet anyway. It's...just not very clear, is it?

Me: According to the chat it was much worse yesterday.

Friend #2: WOW! I mean...this is already terrible.

See when you establish an expectation...especially when people are looking forward to something all year...well anyway.

What I wonder is, what would be needed to improve the video quality? A specific camera? Maybe I'll take up a collection and we'll donate it to the USBCHA so whoever they hire can use it. More bandwidth?

A different production company?

Loaded seems to be doing their best to learn from their mistakes. They give the impression of being millennial "kids" who got in over their heads. Seems like they maybe assumed people who like something as "uncool" as sheepdog trials don't need high-quality video.

Now here's the thing about millennials: baby boomers underestimate them. Boomers think they can't handle constructive criticism. We gen xers disagree. We know that millennials have it in them to rise to a challenge. That's why we bother to let them know when they need to improve.

Next year the streaming video needs to be higher quality so that people can see what's happening as it's happening.

I for one will pay for that.

Maybe Boomers don't underestimate anyone. Maybe we just realize that this is a service paid for by the USBCHA for the benefit of everyone and that it's not a required part of the Finals, or even an expected one.The USBCHA's job is to put on the Finals for the handlers, the dogs, and the spectators at the field, they are just being very accommodating to those of us who were not there. It's a great service, and I for one, appreciate it very much. Of course, since I live on a farm and only have access to satellite internet there was no chance I could watch the live stream at home anyway. I'm not the only one with that problem, many of us who live in the country couldn't get the feed- it's the price you pay to live in the country. I ended up driving a hour to my mother's house in civilization to watch the Finals.

I didn't get to watch much and, yes, I found the young woman doing interviews to be annoyingly cutsey - but I was very grateful to be able to see what live-streaming video that I could see, and at no cost to the viewer.

Thanks to the Finals Committee for arranging this service and for the company that did their best to provide video of a sort that they have not done before.

Hey I've already been typecast as a Cassandra, why fight it? :D

The above is actually extremely toned down from my initial reaction, which was more along the lines of: oh !@#$, I'm embarrassed to have promoted this to all my friends. I can barely see what's even happening, and I really *can't* tell what the announcer's saying most of the time.

I don't know what happened to Five O'Clock Films, if they were underbid or went bankrupt or what, but I pine for the days when they did the webcasts. I pine, I tell you!

[stuff deleted]

Next year the streaming video needs to be higher quality so that people can see what's happening as it's happening.

I for one will pay for that.

You would be one of the few who would pay for it then.

Five O'Clock Films did a good job. They did a better job the second or third time they did the broadcast than they did the first time. I expect that this crew would do a better job next year too. Five O'Clock films is also expensive. They used a satellite uplink to get that high definition video in real time. That doesn't come cheap. They had a fair sized crew whose travel costs to the west coast, along with all of their gear (they're an east coast outfit) would have been prohibitively expensive.

The first year they did the broadcast, it was "free" in the sense that the ABCA and the USBCHA, a private sponsor, and a couple of advertisers paid for it. That was a pilot to gauge interest, with the expectation that future years would pay for themselves. The year they went to a paid subscription, viewership dropped more than threefold, and had it not been from DVD sales, the USBCHA would have lost a great deal of money.

The proposal they came back with this year was just not financially viable for the USBCHA, who is not in the business of financing TV productions for the benefit of people, the majority of whom are not USBCHA members. The Board of Directors decided not to fund the broadcast this year. Herbert and Geri Byrne thought it was important enough, and of sufficient interest to members who could not attend, that they scrambled and found a production company who could do a more limited broadcast that we could afford.

This production would still not have been possible without underwriting from the USBCHA and expected sales from DVD's for which the majority of the work will be done by many of the people who worked damned hard to put on the Finals. The fact that the broadcast is barely over and you are dumping on their efforts makes it less likely that they, or anyone else, will be motivated to provide the service in future years.

So, if you want better quality broadcasts for future Finals, I have two suggestions. First have the guts to sign your name to your "observations". That way, we can put you in charge of raising the necessary funds to enable a broadcast for next year that meets your exacting standards. Second, if you want to offer constructive criticism, you might want to think about prefacing your comments with "Thank you to all of those who put so much hard work into putting on the Finals, and to those who made it possible for those of us who could not attend to watch"

Pearse

I watched part of the semi-finals and every run in the Finals today. The production crew did a great job soliciting feedback and doing their best to improve. I for one am very appreciative that I got to see so many good dogs (and frankly, heart-breaking runs) today. Definitely was the next best thing to being there.

Thank you all for broadcasting the finals. I for one enjoyed watching the finals! I just had a hard time understanding what they where saying because of feedback. I do not know if you where all aware of this and just wanted to point it out to you. It sounded as if the microphones where either to close to the speakers or that the microphones where just a little too sensitive. I am sorry if I come off complaining and criticizing where I shouldn't. I just wanted to let you all know so it could be helped in the future.

~Felicia~

I don't know who Hiker is, but I don't believe he speaks for the majority of those who watched the livestream. I, for one, was VERY grateful to be able to see it all, and at no cost to me. (I started to say "for free", but have been corrected several times that it's not "free", but USBCHA paid for it.) Was it perfect? Of course not. But it was the company's first time working with this type of event. I thought they were very responsive to suggestions made on the livestream chat, as there was much improvement IMO, from Saturday to Sunday. Over all I was quite pleased with it and I don't see why anyone would complain about the production when they got it at no charge.

Thank you to Geri, Herbert and USBCHA for making it possible for all of us to see such a great event. It was much appreciated by many.

(Of course my husband wasn't happy I monopolized our computer all weekend, but I made him a deal. I'll go watch live in VA next year, and he can have the computer all weekend! :D )

Paula, I believe Hiker = Crazy Lady on the chat. 'Nuff said.

I thought the live stream was terrific and just got better as the weekend went on. Thanks to all who contributed both financially and physically to making it happen. It was well appreciated by the vast majority of viewers.

I thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated being able to watch on livestream! I think I stayed glued to my computer the entire weekend. Last year I paid for an unlimited viewing ticket, and only was able to get a total of about 2 hours worth of viewing. My computer and internet connection were such that it couldn't handle it. On the other hand, this year was fantastic! I had very few techno issues, and was happy as a pig in a poke.

My thanks, and well done, to everyone who made that possible.

We watched almost every run yesterday and some of the runs on Saturday. We got to see what we needed to, would it have been nice to see exactly what we wanted to see in real life clarity, sure, but the only way to do that would have been to book a plane flight and been there in person.

So, Thank You to everyone that made certain that we were able to have the opportunity to see what was

going on at the National Sheepdog Finals as it happened.

I for one have a new goal now, inspired by what we witnessed this past weekend. My goal when I first got involved in border collies was to stand at the post at the cattledog finals, been there done that, now my goal is to stand at the post at the sheepdog finals...but...based on that amazing course that I saw yesterday, not when it is at Klamath Falls!!! Atleast not for the first time.... It was wonderous to watch, but man a killer course! I'm shooting for 2014, anyone have any ideas where it will be that year???

(Of course my husband wasn't happy I monopolized our computer all weekend, but I made him a deal. I'll go watch live in VA next year, and he can have the computer all weekend! :D )

Cool maybe I will see you there! ;)

I wasn't able to watch the live feed this weekend because I was moving and my computer has yet to be set up, but I did watch last year and had I been able to, I would have this year! Thanks to all!

I busted my ass off at the Finals to make sure we had over 60 folks from all aspects lined up for interviews so you could get more than the runs. I found then folks, did the pre-interviews then gave them to go Live wiht Brandi. Plus I blogged 207 runs and put over 50 hours of work. We got feedback and tried to adjust as much as possible, an yes it wasn't perfect but we tried to make it good for you. Brandi and Stewart were very open to suggestions and took them to heart and worked on trying to fine tune it.

I got a lot of compliments for the blogging but then again, I got complaints such as "we want it uploadeded quicker, my friend's run was not as detailed, no photos. etc"...

My laptop crashed one day and we had to use a loaner (Mac) and no mouse and I haven't used a MAC. so we struggled. it took a bit to work out the bugs and I sent my husband to town to get my laptop fixed....he had other plans but dropped them to cater to us....then we got back on board. we tried to upload as fast as we could but it takes a bit as the wifi would go down or be slow. Plus it we took more than 3 minutes, the next run would already going. So it was a lot of coordination. One of my main typist decided she didnt want to type but sightsee just minutes before she was to type and since my arm was fractured, I could not type so grabbed people to help.

I had to run the Intervewees back to the haybales to go "Live" so this job was bigger than told. At first it was get 12 names on paper, then it expanded to over 60 folks, pre-interview, etc....but I tell you I grabbed handlers right and lefts from the tent and they all stepped in. Lyle Lad was a real rock as I replied on her TONS. Without her, you would not have gotten as much details on some of the runs. She also won the Nursery Finals. Lori Perry stepped in and was another rock. There were more but those two was wonderful and I forgot but we put their names in the blog. Barbara Stewart (Handler) and Kit Doyle (vendor), Kathy Davis (handler), Gayle White (rescue), Ann Daugherty (handler) did the bulk of the typing while I or others dictated. There were a lot of behind the scenes work. Next time, I am going to have two laptops, one for typing and one fur uploading. I was good for about two runs before my wrist hurt. I ahve three fractures in my right arm.

It was hard and long hours and we listened to the feedback and tried to do fixes. Brandi and Steweard bent over backwards to adjust based on the feedback. I am grateful that we even had them and hope we still can have some more like this...we just need to work on the bugs. Please give Hub the good and bad feedback. Don't just complain.

I got a lot of thank yous at the trial and email and because of that, it was worth it.

Although I found Brandi slightly young :) She did well with a much more mature crowd. I did like the interviews when they were in the background; I can't believe how much organizing that would have taken.

I loved watching it, and they got better and better at doing the production.

THANK YOU thank you thank you for all of you who got it up and going, did theblogging and did all of the work behind the scenes!

It was fantastic

Paula, if you go next year, holler at me!

I thought the broadcast was well done. Thank you to all those involved.

Kate, I will! :)

My only (small) criticism is that I would have preferred the interviews not take away from seeing the runs. Stewart did a great job on Sunday, making sure we could see the dog leave the post and then the OLF. On Saturday, though, the interviews were shown and we missed the beginning of every run. So, per our feedback on the live chat, on Sunday, they only did sound for parts of the interview, so we could see the whole run. That was really awesome, but not entirely fair to the reporter and interviewee, either... So, maybe next time, a different format for the interviews could be looked at.

Thank you, Diane for all your hard work, too!