BC Boards

beginner agility course

So my border collies birthday is coming up in April and we actually share a birthday. I'll be turning 19 the day he turns 1! :) So as a birthday present to him and myself, I want to start him in agility. I'm not looking to do it competitively, just something I can set up outside and we can do for fun. Who knows maybe if he does really well I'll look at doing it competitively. I've been looking at some agility kits and they don't seem like they'd hold up very well. This one seems like the best out of the few. Has anyone ever used this?

http://www.affordableagility.com/agilityinbag.htm

Would it just be better if I went to Lowes and built one myself? Any recommendations on a book for this kind of project? Like a how-to.

Thanks!

Below is a picture of Oliver. Showing no fear as he climbs the scratching post.

post-12674-068708900 1329157750_thumb.jpg

a href=6871241513_f61441ef6a.jpg"

i built most of my equipment. jumps are pretty easy, just pvc and connectors. the tire jump is pvc, drainage pipe and bungee cords. weave poles (sorry, i was down to scraps when i put together these poles) can be attached or you can just jam pvc poles into the ground 24" apart. the teeter base i built using plans i found online. the only thing i really had to buy were tunnels.

Since your dog is only one, you do not want to be doing a lot of jumping. At this point, you mainly want to focus on handling skills on the flat - but your dog needs to know how to go through standards (the posts that hold up the jump bars). If I was starting out, I would build some jumps (and maybe buy a tunnel since most dogs LOVE to blast through tunnels) to practice handling techniques. I would probably leave the jump bars on the ground or only at the 4" level until you and your dog have learned some handling techniques. At this point, you do not have a lot invested so if you decide agility is not for you, no big loss. (you can always sell the tunnel if you buy one).

Good Luck,

Jovi

Definately purchase the jump cups; they are cheap off ebay. There use to be a gal who ran her dogs where I do and her husband was kind enough to try building her jumps and ended up with over 20 stitches in his hand and ended up having repair surgery after the power tool he was using slipped and he almost cut off his thumb. Prior to that I had just hacked at my own jump cups trying to split the T-connectors, always knowing it was dangerous. Now the thought of it makes me feel ill. Otherwise you can definately build most anything to get you started. If you have to buy a PVC cutter it's work buying the ratchet kind that you can use with one hand versus trying to use a PVC saw.

Not the cheapest answer, but still pretty cheap and easy are the snap on cups that you can but at places like Patios to Go. They can be adjusted easily as well.

jump cups

AND also if you want quick, nice and aesthetically pleasing here are the jump kits they sell...you can build them cheaper with plumbing PVC but the UV resistance and specialty fittings make for some very nice looking and easy to put together jumps for a very reasonable price (cheaper than buying ready made jumps).

jump kits

I actually didn't even know what jump cups before starting this topic. And WOW. Who knew ready made jumps would be so expensive. Actually all this stuff is expensive. Rufftie, I really like your setup btw. Roscoe, nothing else particularly helpful yet except all the tips on this board. Rushdoggie, thanks for the links. I really cannot wait to get started! No one commented on the "agility in a bag" set. Maybe not the best idea! it just seems so easy.

glad you like my course building! i'm getting better. i also make my own jump cups right now, but in the future may buy the jump strips

(http://www.justjumpcups.com/) so i have every height. i make them by using a cable saw, which is kinda like a garrotte. not as much chance of hurting yourself but you will build up arm strength! http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/2478/Cable-Saw

as for agility in a bag. i'm sure it is easy and perhaps even practical. just seems like so much money for pvc you can pick up at the hardware store. i think about it, then realize i'm too cheap! or maybe just prefer to spend the money on entrance fees and lessons!

Archived