BC Boards

Border Collie structure evaluation

So, I came across a Facebook group today, called Border Collie Structure Evaluation Group. I guess you can upload a picture of your border collie and someone can tell you if it has good structure or not. Really? <_<

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just looked at that group. Wow. I assume that most of the comments are coming from breeders of the AKC type. Here's a typical comment: "What beautiful markings!! Rear is a little high and neck might be a little short. I love her front end, rear angulation and chest depth to the tuck up." Do ABCA breeders consider / worry about these sorts of things? Now I'm kind of curious.

Have you read it today? Someone posted a comment about the positives of breeding for work and how breeding for conformation and structure will whittle the gene pool down to nothing good, and the moderator threatened to delete her post. (insert eyeroll here).

RDM

On some of those dogs, you can't even tell what breed they are. On the real showy show dogs, their heads are ... wrong. But the thing that baffles me is ... they look at all this structure, and they show the crap out of them in the ring and they win and that's great -- yet under the chalk and wax and hair, you find out that some are dysplastic, or are CEA affected, or carriers of whatever various show dog diseases they are susceptible to, etc., and the AKC could care less. That's not what's important. So here you end up with a bunch of blind or dysplastic "champions" who couldn't herd their way out of a paper bag.

And yet they are still called, "Border Collies."

What a joke.

A quote:

"12 year old Int.Sup.Ch. <XXX> showing a flying trott working sheep"

Comments include:

"this dog has one of the Best shoulders/front assembly I ever laid my hands on!"

"..and he obviously is overreaching, too."

"So IMO overreaching is not a question of unbalanced construction but accures, when a dog has a certain drive from behind"

Looking at that page kind of reminds me of the first time I visited the Netherlands where I kept thinking I almost understood what people were saying but then realized I had no idea at all.

I cam across that group too and thought...should send a photo of Libby working...don't like the high rear...angulation is all wrong; They don't need a "insert whatever" here.

Christmas2010andJan2Trial112.jpg

And the only semi stacked picture I have of her is right after a surgery...so I guess she is out of coat here.

IMG_0755.jpg

Here she has no neck...

libbyatgrasscreek.jpg

Have you read it today? Someone posted a comment about the positives of breeding for work and how breeding for conformation and structure will whittle the gene pool down to nothing good, and the moderator threatened to delete her post. (insert eyeroll here).

RDM

Figures. Wouldn't want a dog bred for anything but "beauty" as they say, would they? Besides, we all know that working instincts are hard-wired in so a person only has to select for appearance and structure to get a superior dog.

I've felt a bit nauseous all afternoon - I probably shouldn't go peak or I might lose my cookies, as if I'd had any...

Archived