BC Boards

Sweaty Dog Smell?

Hi,

I just bathed Cody this weekend and he looked and smelled great after air-drying (no foo-foo blow dryers for my BC :rolleyes: )

I ran twice this week with him, about an hour each time, and now he smells bad. Kind of like he rolled in wet grass or something.

No change in his diet, no change in his poop, no other changes I can think of. And he didn't have the chance to roll in any poop that I know of.

Do dogs perspire and then the odor is left on their skin like humans? I know I definitely smell bad after my runs :D and need a shower ASAP!

Dogs do not sweat like humans, which is one reason why they can overheat more easily. The only active sweat glands on a dog are on/in the pads of the feet and generally are active when a dog is stressed. Panting is what dogs do to cool themselves - evaporative cooling just like sweating but in the respiratory tract vs. the skin.

It could also be the ever popular anal gland smell. Sometimes after exercise and then pooping, any of my dogs will express a little 'juice.' Just this morning, got a whiff while drying Sami's feet after our trip to the dog park. It fades relatively fast.

And, Buzz will sometimes express just a drop or two if he's really twisting himself to get at his tail to scratch with his teeth. I've found the nasty drops on the kitchen floor, right where he'd been standing and biting at his butt.

Ruth n the usually good smelling BC3

When it is hot and the dogs have had a lot of activity they smell different to me as well. Both my dogs smell like iron (the smell is like the gamey taste in some elk or the after taste left in your mouth by iron fortified spagetti o's) LOL i know I sound crazy, but everytime it is warm and they run around a lot that is what they smell like. Once they cool down-boom-no more smell. It is a good thing they don't sweat- bath time is not popular in our house :rolleyes:

***I know the wierd thing I smell is not anal glands, Poke and his fear of car rides have made me very firmiliar with that odor*** BLECH!

When it is hot and the dogs have has a lot of activity they smell different to me as well. Both my dogs smell like iron (the smell is like the gamey taste in some elk or the after taste left in your mouth by iron fortified spagetti o's)

That is EXACTLY the same thing, I couldn't think of what it was I was smelling! I wonder if some of their digestion is actually moving through skin pores when they are hot? Kind of like when humans eat garlic?

And you're right, the smell tends to dissipate over a while, it's usually for only the first hour or so after the hard exercise.

What are you feeding? Sometimes it comes through the skin.

He is on a restricted diet of Royal Canin ID Whitefish/Potato from the vet, to control diarrhea that plagued him for a year and a half. That's all he gets plus some hypoallergenic treats.