BC Boards

Starting two year old on goats

I am looking for some advice on starting my two year old BC Bitch Jess. Unfortunatley right now I only have access to goats at the moment. They are not exactly "dogged", but have learned to respect the dog through their limited interactions. She unfortunatley tends to be very grippy and fetches (at the moment to the kraal, we've only just started to work on that one. At the moment I train in the kraal, a smallish camp used for the goats to sleep in at night. We have a big problem with Jackall and kidding season is approaching fast. Would it perhaps be better to try a round pen, don't have one at the moment, but with the next litter of pups gone, the stock panels have become available, so building one would be easy. How many goats would be a good number to use? At the moment I work her on the whole herd, 50 odd head of goat. Is that too many? They are mostly adults with some bigger kids thrown in, but no very young kids. Like most young dogs when first going to stock, ears are not working very well at the moment. So verbal corrections aren't much use.

I hope I haven't missed some important details, if so just tell me what more you need to know. I really hope you can help us, jess just this morning decided to nip the cat while it was running towards home during the cats' outside play time, so I really need to get a grip on this ASAP.

Jackall??? Good God. I thought I had trouble with wolves.

The fifty goats caught my attention. Cut that in half or less to make it easier for you to break through them and get her out if you must. It sounds like you must.

The cat and the goats are not so related as the no pun intended, getting the grip. It sounds like she is running a bit wild on you and needs to be reminded of her moral obligation to do as asked, including not grabbing the cat.

Jackall??? Good God. I thought I had trouble with wolves.

The fifty goats caught my attention. Cut that in half or less to make it easier for you to break through them and get her out if you must. It sounds like you must.

The cat and the goats are not so related as the no pun intended, getting the grip. It sounds like she is running a bit wild on you and needs to be reminded of her moral obligation to do as asked, including not grabbing the cat.