BC Boards

Welsh Farmer Hangs Sheepdog

Thomas pleaded not guilty and claimed the black and white hound had managed to climb up the sapling himself while twisting the rope around his neck in the process.

He went to trial with that defense?! :o At least he's banned from keeping dogs and sheep anymore.

Re: the witnesses, the article says only that "Witnesses described seeing Thomas shouting and swearing at the Welsh border collie in the moments before he was killed." It's not clear if they actually saw him hang the dog.

However, a Welsh friend just told me she'd read in another article in a different press release where one of the witnesses was interviewed and said they'd seen him do it. That person should do time as well for not intervening, IMO.

18 weeks is a slap on the wrist. My friend also tells me that judges can now impose sentences of 5 years for such offenses, yet they only handed out 18 weeks . . . which he'll probably only serve 9 weeks of. :angry:

That person should do time as well for not intervening, IMO.

No, he shouldn't. He did not do anything to the dog. Not endangering him (or her)self by going between a furious madman and the animal he is killing is not something you can blame this person for. The idea is absurd.

No, he shouldn't. He did not do anything to the dog. Not endangering him (or her)self by going between a furious madman and the animal he is killing is not something you can blame this person for. The idea is absurd.

Agreed.

If the witness didn't *report* it, maybe, but seriously. Someone enraged and in the act of killing something in that anger? No. No way. If he was killing a PERSON I'd not be doing more than calling authorities on an emergency line.

I care. This is terrible. It actually made me cry.

Ain't. No. Way. I am approaching anyone in a fit of rage and confronting them.

Knowing me, I would go in with guns blazing. And damn the torpedoes. Most men will back off when faced with a completely crazed woman.

Or, you know, turn around and string her up a tree.

One of the two, and odds of 'backing down' when enraged to the degree of already KILLING THEIR OWN DOG for not doing what they wanted/the way they wanted/meeting their standards... Well, I don't think them doing what 'most' men would do is a safe bet.

I don't think anyone of us could really know what we would do in a situation like that. I would like to think I could do something to save the poor dog, but I am honest enough with myself to know that I would probably freeze in terror and then hate myself afterwards...

I have confronted irrational, enraged, violent men before. Enough to know that there is no way on earth I'd do it again, because as much as I'd feel terrible about the dog, I wouldn't feel as terrible as if/when that violence and rage turns on me.

I'm sorry. Call me a terrible person, but I like my life too much to throw it away for any animal and truthfully most humans. I'd get in the middle of that kind of situation for my kids, my mother, or my spouse. Otherwise, I'm calling 911 and will testify, but I'm not wading in for a lot of risk and no gain. I'm not going to effectively stop it, I am going to end up being another victim to the crime.

No, thank you. Like I said, been there, done that (more than once), LIVED with that shit, and learned a lesson or four about what I would do, what I will do, what I won't do and what I won't do again.

Frankly the only reason I say that is a WHOLE lotta people vent and climb up on moral high horses about how heroic *THEY* would be if faced with those situations and how much better they are than people who just pick up the phone, video, and testify and it's just not okay. All it's doing is dumping a shed load of guilt on people who already have plenty, thanks, and who actually DID to the right thing. Like I said, not a thing I'm okay with. Wouldn't be okay if people were blaming someone for getting killed in the process of trying to stop a situation, either - and am not, because that also happens all the time.

None of it's anything but magical thinking done by people who like to believe that if they do things differently/more right that the bad outcome can't happen to them. It's fairly normal, but it's also not okay and something people should be more aware of.

I cant look at it because I have read enough of cruelty today. To quote a trite and true movie line:

The world will break your heart ten ways to Sunday... (Silver Linings Playbook, btw)

So, I hope you dont mind if I lighten it up a bit. Jan discovered a bumble bee in my cherry tree today. She was fascinated. I distracted her!

post-12215-0-91168300-1524701821_thumb.jpeg

Maybe. Maybe not. But sometimes when you are faced with something that is so wrong someone has to do something.

I would feel a lot worse if I just stood and watched and did nothing. That would haunt me forever.

For all clarity, I did not mean one should never intervene.

Just that thinking before you act might be a good idea. Calling the police, and letting the perpetrator notice that ( in a case such as this preferably from a safe distance) may well be a much more effective way to deal with the situation than getting involved in physical violence. Even if you are a fierce cane wielding old lady ;)

You are probably right. But sometimes there is no time.

Fortunately I rarely run into situations that call for the crazed old lady reaction.

Of course one has to take into consideration that a low life like this in the state of Missouri is probably armed with a 9 mm pistol, a 357 Magnum, a hunting rifle, an AR15, a bowie knife and a crossbow. Fortunately for the rest of us these yahoos usually just shoot themselves, the little lady or one of the children.

I didn't used to worry about this but I do now. I don't even flip the bird at terrible drivers any more because you just never know how crazy that driver really is.

There are a lot of crazy people in the world, and unfortunately this one got a dog. I would guess if he was bold enough to do this in front of company, he has harmed animals before. I feel a bit sorry for the people/animals of his inner circle, they only have 18 months to enjoy his absence.