BC Boards

Adding a Dog - Choose Same Age or Puppy?

So I know this is going to be pretty vague, but that's because it's still just an idea right now.

The local animal shelter where we got Calypso is going to have BC mix puppies available in 4-6 weeks. They're in foster right now with their momma. She's a 1.5 year old BC mix too - looks like a Lab mix (just like Cal!) but no guarantees because it's the shelter's best guess.

I've talked my husband into at least looking at the puppies and/or momma. He's open to the idea of a second dog and agrees that Cal would probably be receptive and happy if she had a playmate. We've been granted permission by the landlord to add a second dog for an additional monthly fee. We can afford it/we have enough space. Cal does great with all other dogs (she hasn't met a dog that hasn't been an instant friend...in her mind, at least).

The momma dog is 1.5 years old so the same age as Calypso. I know nothing about her right now but I've put out some questions about health, what she's like, etc and the shelter will hopefully respond soon. The puppies will be 8 weeks old when they become available for adoption and will all be spayed/neutered (shelter policy, not possible to negotiate with them).

So a few questions about this situation unfolding because while I'd love another puppy, we would be really happy to take the momma too. She's young and if she's got the right personality, we'd jump on that.

1. Any issues with having two female dogs? Any fighting or territory claiming to be anticipated? Both spayed.

2. Any issues with having two dogs of the same age? Would the new dog adjust into a home with a "peer" with all other factors aside? (Do dogs even have peers??)

3. Any experiences of an initial positive meet and greet (they would not adopt the dog to us until the two met and it went well) and then fighting later on?

4. Any issues based on your experiences with unidentified aggression or bad behaviors suddenly emerging after an adoption? Since we have our 6 month old (human) baby, that's the only aspect of getting a grown dog that I'm afraid of - I need to keep my son safe above all else. The shelter should be able to offer us a decent assessment of her personality and traits beforehand since she'll have spent 8+ weeks in a foster home with volunteers who are specifically looking for things like food aggression, resource guarding, and any behavioral triggers.

5. Would you have concerns about Calypso's resource guarding? She's in a great place right now with her training and only has the occasional hiccup and her outbursts are mild. I don't think we will ever fully get rid of the resource guarding and it will be a lifelong concern with her.

6. Would you feel that there's an issue with letting one dog be crate-free during the day while we're at work (Calypso is 100% free to roam the house) but leave a second dog in a crate for an undetermined period of time (probably until we're sure that she's house broken and does not chew furniture and/or non-dog items).

I think maybe I'm humanizing the dogs too much. They're not people, they don't get jealous if one dog gets to sit on the couch but the other doesn't...Right? How do doggie dynamics work?

I want to give her a friend that she can be a dog with and I'd love another dog in the house, but I don't want her to feel replaced and I'm scared that we'll ruin our really wonderful family dynamic if a new dog doesn't fit in. I want to adopt a dog for life, rehoming isn't acceptable in my eyes unless there's something irreparably wrong and it's not in anyone's best interest. Thoughts?

Argh, this is awkward.

If you go puppy, you've probably got a year before Calypso can have a really good friend all the time because of both training needs an growth plates.

If you go similar age adult you're going to have two elderly dogs at the same age - and that is expensive and really brutally hearbreaking.

Though frankly, given that if you get a puppy now you're going to have at most 18 months between your dogs, you're not really saving yourself any grief - they're both still going to be old and passing on at about the same time (probably, if you're lucky).

In which case, um. Do what you want?

Your odds of a really solid fit are better with an adult dog you KNOW fits, though. It is not all how you raise them and dogs often both change at maturity and stop liking each other at maturity.

I think in terms of considering the future, I'd prefer to lose two close in age that are friends and enjoyed good, long lives together and with my family. Plus, at 1.5, they're both still so young that they (hopefully) have very long lives ahead of them. I'll have to discuss with my husband though, he may feel differently, particularly taking into consideration that our son will have grown up with them by that point and will need to deal with the loss(es) as well.

On the other hand, I've heard that if a puppy is introduced to an older dog, the older dog can "train" the puppy to his/her liking because she's the one teaching doggie manners and how to do stuff like play. Cal is a rough friend (loves to wrestle, bite ears, body check, etc) and I worry that any dog we bring in either won't like that or won't have the same energy level to want to play like that.

I like to think that all of my pets will enjoy long lives...First childhood dog lived to 18 (the one who looked just like your Kylie, CptJack) and the second lived to 12 through at least one battle with some sort of oral cancer that I knew about (black lab/rottweiler mix). Even the little 8 oz dwarf hamster lived to almost 3 and his life expectancy was 1-2 years!

In my experience, dogs who live together may *tolerate* things from a puppy (or adult) they've 'raised' or been raised with that they would not from another dog-

But there are no guarantees of them being playmates, even if they both like to play with other dogs.

I have 5 - obviously.

Of those 5 TWO play together (Molly and Thud - the GSD x and BC)- and they play for about 15 minutes a day, tops. Mostly the dogs coexist in the house together, occasionally sleep together, and that's about it. One of my dogs (the Boston) does have a rude, rough play-style and it doesn't get her in trouble with others (including the one who was another adult when she was brought in) but they absolutely do not return the play with her that way (including the ones she 'raised - which was all 3 of the younger ones). They simply avoid the daylights out of her if she's feeling playful.

So... I mean. I don't think it's *wrong*, per-se, but I wouldn't hang your hat on Cal and New Dog or pup being best buds and play-mates, either. MIght work out! Might also very much not.

I don't think you can figure it out in advance. I would be more inclined to get an adult dog that you KNOW gets along with Cali, rather than a pup that can't be predicted.

Yes, there will be some spats as they get used to each other. And loving/playing with other dogs at the park or who visit can be very different from co-existing with another dog who is never going to leave.

What CptJack says - no guarantees whatever road you go down.

Ruth and Gibbs

(All of this is basically just to say, do what *you* want, for *you*. End of day there are no promises in any direction, of the dogs getting along, of lifespans, whatever. All I'm really saying is 'don't do it for Cal).

^^^ This for sure!!

I recently added a golden puppy to our house - other at 8 weeks, she's 6 months now. I really did want another dog to train but a major reason was also that Rook, our BC, also loves to play with other dogs and I really wanted him to have a friend. I love watching him play with other dogs and thought he'd be thrilled to have a playmate 24/7. He was 16 months when the puppy, Oakley, came home. He adored her at first but as she got bigger and more obnoxious he became more selective. Outside he loves her a fair amount of the time and they can have some wonderful race and chase games. Some times he just ducks as she drives by and stares at me to "throw something!". Inside he has gone through of phase of hiding from her (think in my bathroom between the wall and the toilet) and slinking away when she comes near. Other times inside he'll play bitey face with her and they chew bones side by side and he likes her pretty well.

There are times I think I've ruined his life :wacko: He is a soft dog and I do intervene and stop her from harassing him and she gets crated some so he has free time without her around. I think that as she matures and settles more he will begin to like her more often that not but, I also think in retrospect that he would be "happier" as an only dog with frequent get togethers with his doggie friends.

Interestingly, I read a blurb somewhere in the past few weeks that said many dogs stop playing with other dogs by the time they're about 18 months old - except for dogs they've played with since puppyhood.

My personal experience will the similar age/loss issues is that a year and a half ago we lost an 11 yo. mix (old age/cancer) followed 2 months later by our 6 yo golden (cancer) and then 4 months later our 10 year old mini dachshund (tragic accident). Our 12 1/2 yr old Viszla is still going strong so there are just no definites.

Best of luck whatever you decide but do try to really base it on what "you" want.

Interestingly, I read a blurb somewhere in the past few weeks that said many dogs stop playing with other dogs by the time they're about 18 months old - except for dogs they've played with since puppyhood.

From personal experience I can say this is not true. We have had a number of foster dogs through our home and a few our dogs have played with, and I am talking real play with no human intervention, just choosing to start rumbling around together. We have found that our border collies really only play with other border collies, right now my dog has a border collie friend who we train agility with and when the two hook up there is a real connection, this dog lives with 6 other non- border collies so does not lack for friends. But it is personal choice, we have a regular house guest border collie who is also a regular walking companion who spends all day staring at my dog, he gets no joy from her and never engages her.

Thanks for the input everyone! I knew asking this that it really does come down to making a choice and hoping it works out but it's good to hear your perspectives and experiences.

Plus, you've brought up some aspects of having two dogs we hadn't discussed. I'll keep this updated if we make a choice in a month - we're definitely going to see her and the pups when they become available so worst case, I get to snuggle almost brand new puppers and return home to my house trained lovely fluff butt.

I have had and have dogs now that run and play with others. My 5 yr olds play with pups and each other. I also have dogs that do not play with other dogs.

I think generally a male and a female get along better than 2 females. My female border collies can be bitchy with each other more so than other dogs I have had. I have never had a problem with males getting along with other males except when a female is in heat.

I personally like a couple years between my dogs but it is just that, personal preference.

Pretty much what they all said. My choices would be:

1) More years between dogs' ages. Having had three dogs between 10 and 12 yr of age at one point - never again.

2) Think SERIOUSLY about a young dog with a human baby. Really, really seriously. Your two-legged one will be mobile at about the same time a just-born pup now will be going through fear stages, testing everyone and everything, and it will take a LOT of careful management. SERIOUSLY.

3) I much prefer "alternating" genders, even with older dogs. You never can tell - but generally and older, established dog will teach a younger one (even a 1-2 yr old) the "rules" unless the younger one is super-dominant.

Good luck.

diane

2) Think SERIOUSLY about a young dog with a human baby. Really, really seriously. Your two-legged one will be mobile at about the same time a just-born pup now will be going through fear stages, testing everyone and everything, and it will take a LOT of careful management. SERIOUSLY.

This is one thing I can weigh in on. We got Livi at the end of October at about four months old while my youngest was 3 1/2 years. It was rough for a month or two. It's getting better, but I think it would be a lot harder if my daughter was younger or was less tough. (She has two big brothers to keep up with, and she's used to falling out of trees and off of bicycles and accidentally getting whacked with wooden swords and so on -- she just picks herself up and keeps going.) Livi just had minimal self-control and thought it was the most fun EVER to bounce at my daughter, knock her over, and try to chew on her head. My daughter thought the appropriate response was to screech and run (even MORE fun!!). I've worked with them both, kept them mostly apart for a while, and I think training and/or time has started to work. Now Livi occasionally knocks her over and runs off, but it's less frequent, less enthusiastic, and without the head-chewing. It would be a lot more of a problem if my daughter were more fragile either physically or emotionally. Of course you can manage it, but just so you go in prepared to do that.

I really, really caution against getting another female the same age, and roughly the same size as your female. You don't know Moma dog, and she won't show her true personality for a while. Male-female --not a problem -- but two bitches who don't get along and where one physically or per personality can't establish the upper hand can be tremendously difficult. I like have some diversity in age, size and temperament if possible, when I don't have a male-female mix.

It is very hard to predict. I rescued a lovely young working koolie boy who was going to be shot and I already had a young male BC of the same age and they grew up disliking each other and trying to gain the upper hand and I never leave them together unsupervised.

I also took on a young started kelpie bitch and she bonded with my other bitches really well although they were about a year older and she got on with the boys who were the same age as her.

Personally I have found adding puppies easier than older dogs, but then my adults have always welcomed puppies. My bitches all get on really well with each other but there is between 9 months and a few years between them.

My boys are the same age and as I said dislike each other although both are friends with my kelpie bitch who is the same age as them.

I have also noticed breed preference. My sheep dogs tend to play together while my Australian cattle dogs tend to prefer playing with each other as they have a different style of play. Although my new BC pup sticks with the ACDS because they are more playful and nicer to her than the others lol

Personally, I think it has to be an equal choice for you and your current dog. If you have the opportunity, go meet the dogs with your current dog. The puppies and momma should be available around the same time. My female dog can not be around another female without a potential fight. But, not all females are like that. I have never had dogs around the same age. Usually 2 years apart. But this decision is going to come down to who you like and who your dog likes. Best of luck to you!

Oh, congratulations on the new family member, whichever way you choose to go!

I'll add my thoughts below, probably not much different from anything others have said. ;)

So I know this is going to be pretty vague, but that's because it's still just an idea right now.

The momma dog is 1.5 years old so the same age as Calypso. I know nothing about her right now but I've put out some questions about health, what she's like, etc and the shelter will hopefully respond soon. The puppies will be 8 weeks old when they become available for adoption and will all be spayed/neutered (shelter policy, not possible to negotiate with them).

1. Any issues with having two female dogs? Any fighting or territory claiming to be anticipated? Both spayed.

A. It absolutely depends on the female dogs. I've known some who can't stand another female unless it's totally subservient, others who get along with some females but inexplicably decide they hate the other, and some who basically get along but are prone to occasional random hair-pullers. And some get along fabulously with any other females from Day 1.

In my pack, I have the 6 year old BC and the 5 year old Aussie who were friends from the day they met. Today they just kind of hang out rather than play, but they are still friends. My youngest girl is now coming 17 months old. She came to us at 12 weeks and the Aussie adored her while the BC was horrified and wanted nothing to do with her. At about a year, NObody wanted anything to do with her, but now she and the Aussie play again, while the BC girl just sighs and looks away. So ... again, it totally depends on the dogs.

2. Any issues with having two dogs of the same age? Would the new dog adjust into a home with a "peer" with all other factors aside? (Do dogs even have peers??)

A. Once more, it depends on the dogs, and has far more to do with their individual temperaments than age. Dominance or lack thereof, jealousy, resource guarding and general energy levels, (active vs more mellow, for example) can all play a factor in how they get along.

3. Any experiences of an initial positive meet and greet (they would not adopt the dog to us until the two met and it went well) and then fighting later on?

A. I have not gone through this, but I suppose things *could* change simply because once the new dog is in your home, your original dog may feel either possessive of people or things that have hitherto been "hers," or the new dog may try to assert herself more as her confidence in your home grows. Again, depends on the dogs.

4. Any issues based on your experiences with unidentified aggression or bad behaviors suddenly emerging after an adoption? Since we have our 6 month old (human) baby, that's the only aspect of getting a grown dog that I'm afraid of - I need to keep my son safe above all else. The shelter should be able to offer us a decent assessment of her personality and traits beforehand since she'll have spent 8+ weeks in a foster home with volunteers who are specifically looking for things like food aggression, resource guarding, and any behavioral triggers.

A. I have no experience in that, so getting an honest and thorough assessment from the rescue would be a big plus, in my book.

5. Would you have concerns about Calypso's resource guarding? She's in a great place right now with her training and only has the occasional hiccup and her outbursts are mild. I don't think we will ever fully get rid of the resource guarding and it will be a lifelong concern with her.

A. Absolutely yes. If she is resource guarding now, she may back-slip at least somewhat on the arrival of a new dog, since even if they get along otherwise, food or toys or other things she "guards" may seem threatened in her view. So I'd definitely be on guard against that, and use all preventative measures. (Such as feeding separately etc.)

6. Would you feel that there's an issue with letting one dog be crate-free during the day while we're at work (Calypso is 100% free to roam the house) but leave a second dog in a crate for an undetermined period of time (probably until we're sure that she's house broken and does not chew furniture and/or non-dog items).

A. I would not think it fair to leave one dog loose while the other is crated. Even if they get alone when you are there with them, you don't know what may happen once you leave. Especially if your original girl is feeling a bit off-balance - she might decide to do mean little things like menace the new girl in her crate or give her hard looks or growls as she goes by. I'd recommend crating the new dog in a place that Calypso can't reach or see, until much, much later.

I think maybe I'm humanizing the dogs too much. They're not people, they don't get jealous if one dog gets to sit on the couch but the other doesn't...Right? How do doggie dynamics work?

Actually, yes, dogs can get jealous - we may call it resource guarding or dominance or whatever, but dogs are totally capable of wanting what the other dog has. Doesn't mean all are jealous, but some are more so than others.

I want to give her a friend that she can be a dog with and I'd love another dog in the house, but I don't want her to feel replaced and I'm scared that we'll ruin our really wonderful family dynamic if a new dog doesn't fit in. I want to adopt a dog for life, rehoming isn't acceptable in my eyes unless there's something irreparably wrong and it's not in anyone's best interest. Thoughts?

Will the rescue allow you to return the dog if it totally doesn't work out? I think that should be a consideration in your decision, that they *will* leave that option open for you.

It is always scary when you bring a new dog home. Before I got my pup, our house was down to a very small, amicable, 3-dog pack, everybody getting along and everybody great pals. When I got my puppy, suddenly there was this 12 month old dervish and both my girl dogs were going, "Ack, what IS that thing?" Though the oldest, my male, loved her from the first. ;) But good management and common sense really go a long way. They're not human, but they experience their own kinds of emotion and stress.

If you do go with one of the puppies, you might consider getting a male. In my experience, they are as easy to have as girls and there is generally less conflict between the sexes. Though the older dog might be better for you, since bringing home a puppy basically means you will have two babies now, only one has a set of teeth and runs faster. ;) But as others have said, the decision has to be what's best for YOU and your household.

Best of luck!

~ Gloria

Personally, I think it has to be an equal choice for you and your current dog. If you have the opportunity, go meet the dogs with your current dog. The puppies and momma should be available around the same time. My female dog can not be around another female without a potential fight. But, not all females are like that. I have never had dogs around the same age. Usually 2 years apart. But this decision is going to come down to who you like and who your dog likes. Best of luck to you!

We'd absolutely bring Cal to meet any dog we think about bringing home first. The shelter insists on it and typically red-flags anyone who refuses to do that without a reasonable explanation.

Oh, congratulations on the new family member, whichever way you choose to go!

I'll add my thoughts below, probably not much different from anything others have said. ;)

A. It absolutely depends on the female dogs. I've known some who can't stand another female unless it's totally subservient, others who get along with some females but inexplicably decide they hate the other, and some who basically get along but are prone to occasional random hair-pullers. And some get along fabulously with any other females from Day 1.

In my pack, I have the 6 year old BC and the 5 year old Aussie who were friends from the day they met. Today they just kind of hang out rather than play, but they are still friends. My youngest girl is now coming 17 months old. She came to us at 12 weeks and the Aussie adored her while the BC was horrified and wanted nothing to do with her. At about a year, NObody wanted anything to do with her, but now she and the Aussie play again, while the BC girl just sighs and looks away. So ... again, it totally depends on the dogs.

A. Once more, it depends on the dogs, and has far more to do with their individual temperaments than age. Dominance or lack thereof, jealousy, resource guarding and general energy levels, (active vs more mellow, for example) can all play a factor in how they get along.

A. I have not gone through this, but I suppose things *could* change simply because once the new dog is in your home, your original dog may feel either possessive of people or things that have hitherto been "hers," or the new dog may try to assert herself more as her confidence in your home grows. Again, depends on the dogs.

A. I have no experience in that, so getting an honest and thorough assessment from the rescue would be a big plus, in my book.

A. Absolutely yes. If she is resource guarding now, she may back-slip at least somewhat on the arrival of a new dog, since even if they get along otherwise, food or toys or other things she "guards" may seem threatened in her view. So I'd definitely be on guard against that, and use all preventative measures. (Such as feeding separately etc.)

A. I would not think it fair to leave one dog loose while the other is crated. Even if they get alone when you are there with them, you don't know what may happen once you leave. Especially if your original girl is feeling a bit off-balance - she might decide to do mean little things like menace the new girl in her crate or give her hard looks or growls as she goes by. I'd recommend crating the new dog in a place that Calypso can't reach or see, until much, much later.

Actually, yes, dogs can get jealous - we may call it resource guarding or dominance or whatever, but dogs are totally capable of wanting what the other dog has. Doesn't mean all are jealous, but some are more so than others.

Will the rescue allow you to return the dog if it totally doesn't work out? I think that should be a consideration in your decision, that they *will* leave that option open for you.

It is always scary when you bring a new dog home. Before I got my pup, our house was down to a very small, amicable, 3-dog pack, everybody getting along and everybody great pals. When I got my puppy, suddenly there was this 12 month old dervish and both my girl dogs were going, "Ack, what IS that thing?" Though the oldest, my male, loved her from the first. ;) But good management and common sense really go a long way. They're not human, but they experience their own kinds of emotion and stress.

If you do go with one of the puppies, you might consider getting a male. In my experience, they are as easy to have as girls and there is generally less conflict between the sexes. Though the older dog might be better for you, since bringing home a puppy basically means you will have two babies now, only one has a set of teeth and runs faster. ;) But as others have said, the decision has to be what's best for YOU and your household.

Best of luck!

~ Gloria

The rescue does allow you to return the dog (no money back, it's considered a donation if you return the animal) but I just don't think that's right. The dogs that get rehomed several times just have a stigma attached to them - it's in their paperwork and makes it that much harder to find a forever home even though it's usually the humans' choices, not the dog's actions, that led to the need to rehome. I wouldn't want to do that to a pup...If I go home with one, he/she is staying with me unless I can't find any solution.

We'd be okay going home empty handed too...We don't want to rush the decision. I think my husband and I are of the same mind - that unless Calypso and this female 1.5 year old immediately "click", we will not attempt an adoption. We may take a look at the puppies but again, unless something "magical" happens, we will not bring one home. We'll definitely have Cal with us when we go and she can hang out in the car (we have a remote starter so the car can be locked and warm for her) until/if we're ready for her to meet someone...

*sigh* I wish I could just have allllll the puppies! But I love Cal too much to make her unhappy just because I want another furball running around!

Just something else to think about, it can take time to make friends. We iregularly foster border collies, and so our own dog is used to dogs coming and going, he has also been an only dog for 3 years. Our last foster who we thought seriously about keeping, R was not bothered about for the first couple of weeks, the pup tried everything to get him to play and he could not be fused. After 3 weeks they were rumbling around together and R was miserable when he left after being with for 6 weeks, if we had known how friendly they were going to become he would never have left.

Just a note:

'Tis better to take the dog back to the rescue, and risk the dog developing "stigma" about it, than to keep a dog who doesn't get along with your dog. That is a scenario that you do not want. It requires constant diligence, large areas inside and out that can be divided, and if someone is careless or forgetful there's an expensive and damaging fight. Having lived in that situation (not with my own dogs, someone else's) I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Try to determine as best you can if they will like each other, and do take the new dog back if it doesn't work out. It is also the only fair thing to your first dog, who should have priority in my opinion, and not be subjected to the company of another dog he or she doesn't like.

Second, as the current owner of two rapidly aging border collies, at 14 and 15 years of age, I don't recommend that either. It is pretty hard.

I knew it would be, 8 years ago when I took in Kit, and I did it anyway. Would I ever regret having taken in Kit? Not for a moment. She's always been a very good dog and she had had a rough life and needed to be loved, and she's been a great companion for Jester. I have always loved her and I would do the same if I had it to do over.

But I wouldn't recommend having two dogs so close to each other in age to anyone.

We'd absolutely bring Cal to meet any dog we think about bringing home first. The shelter insists on it and typically red-flags anyone who refuses to do that without a reasonable explanation.

I mean it more like don't choose based on your feelings along and then just have the dog meet who you picked. Because I know some rescues that have multiple get togethers and have you meet the dogs first, then you have the dog meet the dog you chose. And sometimes, it takes time for dogs to get along. My golden hated when I adopted my bc even though she was fine when they meet. All dogs have adjustment periods. My rescue gives you 30 days to return the dog if things don't work out. Thank God after 2 weeks, all was fine. It was funny because my bc was slightly scared and had kennel cough. Every time he coughed, my golden would start barking at him as if he was threatening us. It was pretty funny because she went from being queen bee to leveling out. I payed all my attention to my golden, but when she finally accepted him, my attention equaled out. That's another thing. I hate when people add a dog to their family and try to make the new dog feel so comfortable that the current dog feels left out. I also didn't force anything. I let them slowly get to know each other at their own pace but always walked them together because that made them feel more at ease. Sorry, added way too much of my personal experience and got off topic. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so we found out a few weeks ago that Mama dog is definitely spoken for. The shelter doesn't allow holds except for when the foster wants her. And they do...I'm disappointed for me and Cal, but so happy for her. According to several people, that family is so wonderful and they want her as a companion for their slightly older dog and the two get along beautifully and she's already renamed and settled with them.

Two of the puppies (gray ones) are in today for spay/neuter and will be available tomorrow if all goes well and they're feeling well. Obviously, I'm prepared to RUN to the shelter to see them and my husband is on board. The other three puppies (black & white) will be coming in on Thursday for spay/neuter and hopefully available on Friday, so if the ones tomorrow aren't for us we have another chance on Friday. Buuuuut something pretty special would have to click for us to take home an 8 week old puppy on Easter weekend.

On the bright side, my husband and I are discussing what we would need if we did get a puppy and how we could acclimate Cal. Also on the bright side, our kiddo has been getting up at night with teething pains lately so we're already awake at night. A puppy would be old news for our sleep schedules, haha!

Downside is that I'm going to have to help with the dog walking if we get another because I'm the one pushing for a puppy. Husband would gladly trade me a baby feeding for a dog walking at night, which is much easier now that the babe takes more bottles than nursing sessions! :) Things are tentatively working out.

Puppy Watch 2016 is on...T minus 18 hours because they get posted for adoption at 10 AM on weekdays. Obviously, I'll be obsessively refreshing the shelter page.

Ok, I feel like a jerk...Obviously I'm not happy that my baby is in pain from teething. But I'm saying that since he's up anyway, a puppy waking us won't be a big deal.

Although I am pretty excited about those teeth. They're finally cutting after months of pain and once they do bust through, he'll have some peace for a few weeks before the others start. Plus, they're so dang cute.