BC Boards

Early morning shock!

I let Kipp loose last night instead of crating him as usual. It was the second or third time I've done this. The last couple times he was great - curled up on my bed and slept 'til morning. This morning I woke up to sounds of yelping/yowling. In my half asleep state I was like "what in the world?" which quickly changed to "oh no, Kipp!" I ran out of my room ( the door had been cracked open to let the air circulate) and yelled for him. He met me at the bottom of the stairs - which I was very happy to see because by this time I was pretty sure as to what had happened. In the living room I found his toy next to a chewed (plugged in) lamp cord.

He looks and acts normal, except for being a little clingy and careful about walking through the living room. I'll call my vet when they open just to see if there is anything I need to watch for.

Now that I'm getting over the shock (no pun intended) of it all, I feel guilty about letting him loose overnight, but at the same time relieved that he seems to be fine.

The 2nd Rottie we had for awhile chewed through a phase-3 electric cord at my husband's work and it didn't phase him one bit. He is not the sharpest tool in the shed; he just shook his hind leg a bit like a horse will shiver it's flesh to get rid of a fly and that was it. He doesn't seem to experience pain, just discomfort. (He had to learn the hard way to keep away from campfires; and believe me, there were five of us trying to teach him not to lay so close to the fire. I don't know if he was a dumb dog or a stubborn dog).

Normal households don't have phase-3 electric; they have something far less powerful, so your Kipp probably got a nice jolt, experienced some pain and hopefully learned a lesson!

When Cheyenne was around 3mos. old, we had an electric blanket due to no heat in our room. Early one morning, I hear a pssst, and a yelp. I called to her and she crawled out from under the bed. Crying, she practically jumped in my arms. Soon my bed was cold! I knew then what had happened! She was fine, and she NEVER chewed another thing. I figure, as she was ok, it was a pretty good lesson.

I'm sure Kipp will be fine. It is scary though!

That's one hell of a way to wake up in the morning! Glad nothing really bad happen to poor Kipp! I imagine he won't touch that toy in a long time, either, afterall, it was there when he got shocked and IT didn't do anything to help him :rolleyes:

Ouzo is never crated and never does bad things at night. His occur while we're all awake and at home! He's like that kid who gets hurt in the basement and doesn't cry because there's no one around to hear him cry. Ouzo demands an audience for his bad behaviours.

Guest WoobiesMom

Poor Kipp! Glad he seems to be okay. I keep Woobie in my room uncrated at night also. For AC reasons (and the cats who'll yowl outside the door if I close it), I put up a baby gate in the doorway. Maybe that would keep Kipp closer to you at night where you can hear him if he gets into anything.

That's one hell of a way to wake up in the morning!

It sure was! I was in a daze for the next 30 minutes recovering from the rude awakening. I think Kipp recovered much faster than I did.

After this, Kipp is going back in his crate at night. I do not function well without a good nights sleep, and if he was lose I'd probably be half awake all night listening to make sure he wasn't getting into anything. After having Kipp for almost a year, I can say that Missy truly spoiled me. She never dreams of getting into/chewing on things that she's not supposed to.

I love my little guy, but he sure is an inquisitive rascal.

Ugh, we're waiting for Shadow to get zapped, this house is so old there're only 2 outlets in each 30' by 30' room.. so we own a miriad of extention cords. Shadow doesn't touch the cords, but the plugs themselves all have little dents from puppy teeth. Tho she hasn't chewed on much since we hot-sauced the windowsill she enjoyed eating... LOUD yelp one day and saw her take a nosedive into the water bowl :rolleyes: that'll teach her!

Glad Kipp is feeling alright! Poor pup!

Yes, glad Kipp is ok! That's very scary. One of my sheltie puppies nearly started a house fire chewing through a cord. Fortunately, he was in the same room with me so I was able to react right away. He was pretty much at my feet, chewing on a toy when his attention must have wandered to the nearby lamp cord. He didn't seem to get a shock but barked at the cord which was starting to singe my carpet. Before I realized what was happening, a bubble of electricity came out of the socket and popped like bubble gum! That was my clue to move quickly.

The next sheltie also chewed through a lamp cord (my only two dogs, knock wood, who chewed on electric cords) but that lamp was unplugged at the time of her crime. :rolleyes: