BC Boards

K9 Advantix II Problems?

We live in the Pacific Northwest, rain, damp and humid. Perfect conditions for plenty of ticks. We are just starting tick season and I've already found 3 on my BC. :( I just put K9 Advantix on them about 2 to 2.5 weeks ago... Has anyone ever had this same problem, where the tick repellent doesn't seem to have worked? I'm wondering if I just got a bad batch or something. I bought it from Drs Foster and Smith online because they had the cheapest sale... Hopefully I can get them to refund me my money. <_<

post-11137-061187800 1305677656_thumb.jpg

It could be an old batch. Check the dates on it, and if it is old you can return it for a refund. But it is also possible for ticks to become immune to all of the topical treatments. I know, because that happened to me. No matter what I put on the dogs it made no difference. I hope that this has not happened to you......

Another possibility is that the Advantix did not get fully absorbed. If it

did not all get into the skin, it won't be effective. You need to be very careful to get it down onto skin only and not fur, and then do not let the dog shake afterward because that will just bring it all up into the fur where it does no good. I always put the dogs into a down stay in their crates immmediately after applying it so that they cannot shake for at least 1/2 hour. And I put it on several spots of skin down the back.

A number of folks have reported one or the other (Advantix or Frontline) not working. I've had trouble with both. Quit using Frontline because of inefficacy. Switched to Advantix. Last time I applied it, I was pulling engorged ticks off the dogs 3 days after application. I've been using this stuff for years and know how to apply it, so this is not a case of user error. Fleas and ticks have been developing immunity to new control products for years. I fear this is just the latest example of that resistance developing....

J.

In the same boat. Ive found small ticks (ones that have not finished or gotten started on their blood meal). I applied Advantic and am still pulling off small ticks. I was thinking I might be finding the ticks before they've had the chance to die. I was under the impression that nothing repels ticks but that it kills them once they are attached to the host.

In AR frontline did nothing. I battled fleas one summer that I thought I'd never get rid of. But we did, then moved to CO. no issues there and didn't even use anything.

Now back in MO after I found one tick on Dew I applied advantic and like I said I've pulled maybe 2 ticks off them afterwards (one more on Dew and one on Raven). I will say, I haven't pulled any ticks off the LGD so I think it might be working.

Also I noticed that after applying it on Dew she was uncomfortable for about a day and a half at the application site. someone mentioned that the pyrithins in Advantic can cause irritation. Frontline doesn't have any unless you buy the Plus type. Just an FYI, I've always applied the product to more than one spot. Speically on the big LGD. I do the shoulder area then on the hip area where I'm sure they can't get their mouth to. NOt sure why I started doing it that way but it's something I've always done. Maybe cause that's allot of product to apply in one spot?

I was thinking to alternate from advantic to frontline. But not sure if it's a good idea or not.

DEATH TO TICKS!

No product is 100% effective. If your dog is exposed to 1000 ticks while running through the woods but only comes home with 3 over the course of the month, I would consider that to be an excellent success rate.

The chemical in Advantix that repels ticks often doesn't last the full month. The product that kills them once they do bite does last a month. Frontline does not repel ticks.

Check with your vet about supplemental ways to repel ticks.

My dog sometimes brings home a tick or two after running in the long grass. But I've never seen one attached. Trouble is, after disdaining my dog they seem interested in trying me out. No bites yet but I take Coumadin so they probably don't like the smell of me either. They seem uninterested in my cat, and he only gets Advantage, and only every 3 or 4 mos. He's an inside cat.

I've never seen a flea on Sugarfoot or the cat, and there's tons of 'em around here.

I use Frontline Plus on Sugar. So far so good!

I swear by Preventic collars. Years ago, I lost my young, otherwise healthy dog to Lyme nephritis. I don't have much of a flea problem (knock on wood) but ticks are horrendous and in the worst case, deadly. I used them year round and write on them with a sharpie the date I put them on. One of my drug reps recently gave me some samples of the new Scalibor collar that is labeled effective against ticks and adult fleas for six months. So far I've used it on one of the dogs. We'll see how it goes.

Michelle

Archived