BC Boards

Odd question, dog with itchy nipples

alligande

I started a topic a few weeks ago about winter dry skin, and following peoples suggestions I started feeding him coconut oil, as well as fish oil. His coat looked good before, but it really looks stunning now, and there is very little sign of dandruff. Which brings me to the current problem, he has continued to scratch just a little and after watching him carefully, he really only has a good scratch in the location of his nipples. Both nipples have been irritated by this, and there are small specks of blood, which does not surprise me, I know what my skin looks like when one of those claws gets me!

Anyone have any ideas....

Clean the nippular area, (I made up that word, I think) and dry carefully. See if any redness, slight swelling is present aside from the toenail damage.

If not, try some olive oil directly on the area. If it is red or oozy looking, I'd be thinking fungal stuff. Try Tinactin or some other otc athlete's foot thing.

Good luck!

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

Maybe coconut oil applied externally. Or try castor oil. These are treatments also used for humans. My vet swears by Apinol - which has worked for me for itching due to insect bites, light poison ivy episodes and non-specific itching. She said it helped her (i.e. reduced itching) when she had a recent shingles recurrence).

Jovi

I tried the coconut oil last night and did not think it all the way through.... he was trying to eat it out of my hand, and it took a bit of persuading not to lick it off. The dog adores coconut, since adding it to his diet he is even asking for meals, licks his bowl and even pushes it around looking for more.... prior to this I had tried just about everything to interest him in food. I need to find another moisturizer that is not so tasty!

I tried the coconut oil last night and did not think it all the way through.... he was trying to eat it out of my hand, and it took a bit of persuading not to lick it off. The dog adores coconut, since adding it to his diet he is even asking for meals, licks his bowl and even pushes it around looking for more.... prior to this I had tried just about everything to interest him in food. I need to find another moisturizer that is not so tasty!

Oops, hadn't thought of that. :) :)

Jovi