BC Boards

Pedigree Dogs Exposed - Three Years On

jdarling

Elimination should have happened before these animals (and others like them) even stepped into the ring for their first class. They still have all the prestige of BoB and whatever other wins, and this won't stop them from being used for breeding. Too little, too late - even though it is a step in the right direction, but a small step. I am still pleased to see something positive happening.

I know I never post on here anymore. But my understanding is that this is also partially to punish the judges who awarded the BOBs in the first place. Push judges to pick the healthy dogs and then take away the awards they hand out if the dog fails the check. The doesn't just draw light to the dog's health but also the judges judging practices.

I'd like to see more done, but I think it could be a small positive step. It's amazing the outrage people are having over this. My bet is a lot of the breeders of these breeds will just stop showing at Crufts. But maybe not and maybe it will be a wakeup call for a few.

Elimination should have happened before these animals (and others like them) even stepped into the ring for their first class.

Then the people will claim that the vet took their right to compete from them. This way, everyone knew the rules, and everyone chose to compete under those rules.

But my understanding is that this is also partially to punish the judges who awarded the BOBs in the first place. Push judges to pick the healthy dogs and then take away the awards they hand out if the dog fails the check. The doesn't just draw light to the dog's health but also the judges judging practices.

I think you're right. One hopes that the judges would feel humiliated and motivated to change their practices. But I suspect that they only feel self-righteous. Let's hope that the Kennel Club has the cojones to stay the course, and in fact expand it, until long-lasting results are achieved.

Dear Doggers,

Ms. mum24dogs writes (of the bulldog) . . ." the breed is a train wreck and shouldn't be shown anyway."

I must disagree. As the first step in canine well being, I think dog shows should be restricted to Bulldogs only.

Donald McCaig

I think you're right. One hopes that the judges would feel humiliated and motivated to change their practices. But I suspect that they only feel self-righteous. Let's hope that the Kennel Club has the cojones to stay the course, and in fact expand it, until long-lasting results are achieved.

It's also possible that judges who have been a little or a lot uncomfortable with the increasingly extreme and compromised breed trends may feel emboldened to withhold placements and put up sounder, healthier individual dogs.

Certainly there will be many more who will dig in and continue to put up the very extreme and compromised dogs. But any improvement is welcome, and people who truly care about the health and soundness of their breeds may feel that it's becoming "safe" to breed less extreme and healthier dogs.

Then the people will claim that the vet took their right to compete from them. This way, everyone knew the rules, and everyone chose to compete under those rules.

I think also there's a change the logistics of having every entered dog vet checked might be part of the issue. By examining the winners only there's a lot fewer dogs to examine.

I heard back from the Kennel Club re: their disqualifications. They said: "Thank you for your comments regarding the veterinary checks on the high profile breeds. We have received a lot of response to the issue - both against and in favour. Further discussion regarding this matter will take place and your views will be considered at that time."

Kind regards

Semone Cooper

Breed Shows Team Leader

Canine Activities Department

semone.cooper@thekennelclub.org.uk

Thank you for your comments regarding the veterinary checks on the high profile breeds. We have received a lot of response to the issue - both against and in favour.

How anyone who claims to love dogs would have a problem with them being checked to make sure they're healthy, is totally beyond me. :blink:

Which is why it's such a laugh (or makes you want to scream) when the show breeders don't care that they're causing the dogs pain, as long as they win. If they actually loved dogs, they wouldn't be torturing them.

Well after reading this thread, I went over to the Pedigree Dogs exposed blog, and also clicked a link that took me to a more egeneral dog forum where this was being discussed. There are actually a lot of (or at least some vocal) really irate people who feel this vet check thing is the most obvious sort of TRAVESTY. And are saying it has ruined Crufts and no high-level dog show-ers (or whatever you call them) will go to that show again. Someone claimed to have an email from one of the AKC board members promising that AKC would NEVER do something as stupid and unneccesary as this. One of the specific complaints I saw was that above ALL else the judges' decisions should stand as sacred or else what the heck is the point of any of it (....hmmm, now that I think of it that is actually a great question :lol: ). So therefore these people would now ONLY support shows that had integrity and respect for the judging. Another one was that the vets were obviously lying and taking animals out for totally bogus reasons. Another reason given a lot of attention was that this was purely political (spat out as if that immediately means "evil") and that this was all thanks to animal rights activists. People who disagreed were basically compared to HSUS and PETA.

I have found confo people to be pretty immune to cognitive dissonance. Hence when shown clear evidence that the dogs are unhealthy and suffering, and completely different than their functional historic forms, they are able to ignore that totally and even claim with a straight face to breed for health. Because they breed for "good structure" (somehow "good structure" = health same way it somehow = function, right?) and don't forget, they do health testing. So in their minds the dogs were basically proven super-healthy already, or else they could have NEVER got BOB. So, no vet should check them. It all makes perfect sense, really. What is your guys' problem?!? :lol:

Even after receiving support and advice from AKC, The Kennel Club in the UK exercised very weak backbone when confronted by the animal rights attack and their BBC television program, and as a result, the fall out continues.

I was told by some UK Peke breeders that this decision to disqualify these breeds was determined before the show had actually started as it was rumored for weeks that “something” was going to happen. It has also been told to me that the KC is promoting actual legislation to ban certain breeds from the UK. And the Peke is one of them. If this is actually fact, then the Kennel Club in the UK has ceased to function in the best interests for the dogs, and the sport of pure bred dogs and ultimately the rights of all Brits. It will be the canine version of the Holocaust, and shame upon ultimate shame on the Kennel Club.

I have been a part of the British Peke world for a majority of my life and cannot for the life of me understand the lukewarm reaction from the British breeders this whole time. I always thought that the British people had civil rights and votes. Why am I not seeing it now?

May I remind the UK Peke breeders, when the Brits over here were being oppressed and unfairly treated and yes, discriminated against, they held a certain tea party in Boston that started a chain of events that changed the world. Guess what? I suggest you have a tea party.

As the 13 American colonies united to take matters into their own hands, so should the 15 breeds on the Kennel Club’s “hit list” do the same. This is your moment in time, the point of no return, war has been declared upon you and you are in the beginning of another Blitz. Either stand up and fight, or lose all respect from Pekingese lovers around the world.

I don’t have any problem signing my name to this post because I want all the UK breeders to know where I stand. WITH THE PEKINGESE!!!

Long quote, but I couldn't figure out which were the best bits. It's all the 'best bits'.

I love

as well: clumber spaniel owner saying that she's taking her toys and leaving. Look at the dog's eyes.

:lol: Simba, thanks for that. I love the righteous indignation, the squawking that civil rights are being trampled, the call for a revolution, and the direct and patriotic comparison to the US fight for independence. :rolleyes: I'm imagining him imagining a peke rally thousands strong, breeders marching on the house of commons demanding their civil rights to breed animlas who can't walk or breathe. In fact I'm pretty sure that right is discussed in the Federalist papers somewhere....

I've looked at some of the comments on various show dog sites. One thing that really puzzles me is why show dogs can have these eyelid malformations, where the pink/red part of the eyelid is folded out or in, the dog's eyes are watering constantly and always have a bloody look about them. In fact on the beach here I met a Newfoundland whose owner showed him, and she said he was such a champion at an early age and was very sought after for breeding, and the poor dog's eyelids were droopy, the inside was exposed exposed and bright, bright red and watery. Why is that okay? It sure looks uncomfortable and maladaptive.

Not allowing dogs with severe deformities that lower their quality of life to be bred is taking away rights from all British citizens?

And HOW is this anything like the Holocaust?

Oh my, someone has lost it.

Although he probably never had it, so to speak.

And I like how he pulls various wars into his speech, it ups the drama ;)

... the AKC will NEVER allow any such practice to occur. Our Parent Clubs own their respective standard and we support them 100 percent. Furthermore a Judges' decision is final and we respect that as well. The situation is a very disappointing one here from the point of view of breeders, exhibitors and judges and fanciers from around the world. In summary while our PCs have a right to be upset and concerned I will never allow this wrongful practice in America. Never!!! Dennis

This is...ugh.

So he supports the breeding of inherently unhealthy, unethically bred animals 100%?

It's not like anyone is trying to breed a dog who can't breathe, or has a skull too small for it's brain, or cull a puppy for lacking a ridge that is the result of a spinal deformity.

Oh wait, I forgot-that's perfectly acceptable.

Vet checks? Going against what our precious judges have to say?

So cruel.

Archived