BC Boards

Help! My puppy is scared of everything. :(

When I adopted Rudder at about 8 weeks old, I would put him in my lap and all he would do is sit with his head down shaking uncontrollably. It took weeks before he would show any real interest in the world around him. It took patience...lots and lots of it. But it has also been incredibly rewarding to see him grow into to a happy, confident dog. We're still working on his fear of strangers, but he's only 10 months and has made amazing progress. I think if people weren't so stupid he'd be even further along.

How long have you had your pup? Your expectations seem awfully high for a 9 week old new to your home and the city. It is concerning to me that you say you're not willing to put the time into this pup. All puppies, no matter what their personalities, require a ton of attention. I completely understand that different personalities mesh better or worse with different handlers, but surely you realized that border collies are prone to sensitivity that can manifest as fear. Please don't give up on this baby so quickly or get frustrated, which would only exacerbate (wink.gif) the issue. It is much too early to say whether he will grow up a fearful dog...I think whether he does or not is entirely dependent on how you train him now. I bet you'd both benefit hugely from a trainer who has experience working with sensitive dogs and/or border collies. Best of luck, and please keep us updated.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bet you'd both benefit hugely from a trainer who has experience working with sensitive dogs and/or border collies. Best of luck, and please keep us updated.

I think this is good advice. I have had dogs for many years, but I do not hesitate to get help from a trusted trainer or a person experienced with a particular breed. Of course, there appears to be a "hang-a-shingle" epidemic in dog training--I've met my share who were not right for my dog(s)--but if you do your homework and use your instincts you can find someone who is good.

I paid for a phone consult with a Border Collie rescue person to help me understand some of Hannah's reactions to certain things, and it was very helpful. I would not hesitate to pay this person for one-on-one help with my dog if I need it. There is a lot to be said for breed specific experience.

I do not want to put tons of work into him if this is part of his personality, and no matter what he will always be timid. That is not a dog I will be 100% happy with, and it wouldn't be fair to either of us.

If this is the case, then I think you would both be better served if you contacted the breeder and asked to return the puppy. I don't see how you can do the work that might be needed to get this pup to a place where he's not timid if you're already feeling like you don't want to put a bunch of work into him to get him to be the kind of dog you'd hoped he'd be--and that if you do put in all that work you expect you'll still be unhappy because he'll always be a timid dog.

There is no shame in deciding that a pup isn't for you. No one gives out awards for sticking it out with a pup that doesn't suit you. In fact, if you *know* that this pup isn't for you, then the fairest thing to do for him would be to return him and let the breeder find someone who is willing to take the chance and put the time in to get him past his timidity. It makes no sense to keep a puppy that you don't care for because his personality isn't what you want in a pup.

I don't know how you picked this pup, or if he was picked for you, but the level of unhappiness you are expressing about him now doesn't bode well, IMO, for a successful transition to a confident puppy/young dog. So why not consider giving him the chance to go to a home that is willing to work him through his timidity and then try to find a pup that better matches what you want and need? I think you'd both be happier in the end if you went this route.

J.

I agree with what Julie said about the possibility of returning him to the breeder, but I also think this-

Maybe he will go back to the breeder, but for the time being he is your dog. That means you have the responsibility to do your best to see that he has the start - while he is with you - that will help him reach the greatest potential that he carries inside him. It doesn't matter if he ends up being your "forever dog." (personally I hate that phrase - as if any of us can see what "forever" holds!) What matters now is that you, his guardian and companion, give him the very best you are able to, no matter how long or short a time that he is with you.

I am definitely working with him. He hasn't been with me very long so I am not just going to give up on him without seeing if he makes any progress. I talked to the breeder who is willing to take him back, but I don't want to do that just yet.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Thanks for all the help. I took him to the front door today, but not yet outside. He was unsure but sniffed around and he could see everything happening on the street. I think I will do that a few more times.

Should I really be picking him up though? He is more comfortable in my arms, but I thought that gives the wrong impression of comforting him when he's afraid?

So you made progress?

Yes. You should be picking him up. You are his source of stability right now, you are his confidence. Take time. Your looking at it the wrong way it's not coddling it's building confidence. If he can't build confidence off you where can he? If your attitude is negative now image how terrified he his feeling with nothing to help him and make him feel secure.

You may think you know all about puppies but obviously he's showing you otherwise. Don't lump them all together they are individuals. If *you* can't change your preconceived ideals I agree that you should send him back. Your negativity is only fueling his fears.

Your negativity is only fueling his fears.

Exactly. And how long before you decide that he's always going to be a timid dog and therefore no good for you? Will it then be too late for someone else to help him find courage? (I know it's never too late, but as someone else pointed out it's harder when the fear is ingrained in an adult than in a virtual blank slate that is a puppy). I honestly don't see how you can possibly do right by this puppy with the attitude you have toward him right now. Ever hear of self-fulfilling prophecies? I really think you may just not be the right match for this puppy. If I were the breeder I'd be begging to take him back.

ETA: I don't mean the above to sound harsh. When people ask about picking a puppy I always tell them to pick the puppy that really "speaks" to them because then there's a connection (that undefinable thing that made the pup speak to you in the first place) that will make you willing to work through any issues that come along. The reverse is also true, though. If the pup just isn't meshing with you--if that indefinable connection isn't there for whatever reason--then it makes sense to keep looking until you find a pup for which that connection with you does exist.

J.

I guess I'm with Julie - if you (as you have expressed) have grave reservations that you and this pup are going to be suited to each other and you don't want to put in the time it would take to work around the issue, then giving him a chance to be rehomed by the breeder might well be the best thing you could do for him.

Every pup (and dog) deserves someone who is willing and able to work with them through their own issues. You can't have had him very long, he's in a typical fear period stage, and his world has changed drastically. He will know how you feel about him and, if that doesn't change, it won't help either of you.

Meanwhile, if you are willing to give it a try, work with him where he is comfortable (house, yard) to build you bond and expose him gradually, without pressure, to new things. As suggested, let him see out the door to where you are sitting quietly. Let him approach the world outside, by ignoring him while you sit there with him on a long lead. Letting him set his own pace when you can. Let him feel secure in your arms when needed - remember that encouragement can be a powerful form of pressure on some dogs and that's why I often recommend ignoring the dog - within limits - to avoid that pressure adding to an already stressful situation. Observe your pup and adjust your approach to yield the results you need.

We did all this with one youngster I had who was very shy and reserved. I let him do his own approaching of others and strange things, but I also "made" him face up to his fears when he was old enough - one day, I just handed his leash over to another person (not a total stranger) and I walked away. And I did that with other people (we were at a training club). It was a combination of letting him set his own pace but also letting him know that he had to do certain things, too. He shortly came out of his shell and became a generally happy, relaxed around others (never a party animal of any kind) dog that I could take anywhere. But he was not a baby and not in a major fear period before I did this.

With my current young dog, it was three years before I finally put together everything that I observed in him (and myself) and realized what he needed from me - when I changed how I viewed and interacted with him, our bond and partnership blossomed. And this was a dog that I seriously considered rehoming many, many times. Now, I don't want to think about life without him.

I hope you can work this out but if you don't feel you can, please give him a chance with someone who will.

I really hope you will heed Juile's advise sooner than later. It really is not a bad thing but people tend to see it as failure if they think of "taking a dog back". You have a lifetime with a dog. If you or the dog aren't going to emjoy each other why do it?

Maybe the breeder will have a more outgoing pup for you or point you in the direction of someone who does.

Yes...it's not a bad thing! And no one should judge till they walk in your shoes.

Is there a chance that he will recover and be a confident and social dog? And what should I be doing with him? I can't take him anywhere to socialize.

I can answer your first question with a resounding yes. When I got my first BC as a puppy, he was very scared of everything - even us at first. First, he learned to be comfortable in our apartment and he learned to trust me and know that he was safe with me. We would open the apartment door and he would be afraid to go into the hall. Once he learned to explore the hall, he was afraid of the steps. I used to take him out to sit on the stoop of our apartment building and we would sit and watch the activity; he wouldn't even get off of my lap! Everything was a slow, gradual series of baby steps. But eventually he turned into a normal dog who would greet me at the door and be excited to go out for long walks. One thing that helped a lot was that there were two other dogs in the building that he adored and he felt confident when they were around. He learned to go up and down the stairs by following them, and he learned to get down on the sidewalk by following them. They were a big help in teaching him that the world was OK.

However, we did not mind taking things slowly and at his pace. Working through his fears was a rewarding process for us; we celebrated every little victory. We enjoyed watching him come out of his shell and blossom. But even after he was over his fears, it was always his personality to be generally more reserved and shy, and that was fine with us. He never became an outgoing, boisterous kind of dog.

So, the question for you is: do you want to put in the time and effort to work through this process with your puppy? I think the odds are very high that you can successfully work through your puppy's fears, but you may have a dog that will always be reserved and quiet. If it turns out this way, would you be OK with the situation? If you really want a gregarious, outgoing dog, you may do better with a different puppy who is bold and outgoing. I think that loving dogs is like loving anyone - you need to be able to accept them for who they are, rather than try to change them into something they are not.

Also, you said that you can't take the puppy anywhere to socialize. Why not? Socialization is extremely important with this pup. You need to find situations for the pup to interact positively with people and dogs.

Interesting points by Julie and Sue.

My first reaction was that you simply haven't given this pup a chance yet. At the same time though, you do seem very frustrated and upset already, and if you're feeling this way so early after getting him, you are 1) setting him up for failure and yourself for more disappointment and 2) possibly not able to be the human this dog needs and vice versa.

Did the breeder give any time limit on when you can give him back? I would assume (hope) not. In that case, I'd suggest giving him actual time to settle in and see if he comes out of his shell (without getting frustrated, as you would only cause him to clam up more), and at the same time seek experienced help. If after a month or so of this you still feel as you do now, then give this pup a chance to find the home that's right for him and yourself a chance to find a dog you can be happy with.

Even in that case I'd still urge working with an experienced trainer. Even an outgoing confident puppy will become shy and fearful if his handler is obviously frustrated or has expectations that are too high...and you WILL get frustrated, no matter how great a puppy you get. It's just concerning to me that you seem to get very frustrated very quickly, and I don't think this puppy is entirely to blame for that. Obviously I don't know you, but if it comes across that strongly over the Internet, I can only imagine how much it affects your puppy. Just something to consider.

Socialization is very important, but it is also important to manage the pup's interactions while he is being socialized. I have owned timid (or timid-ish) dogs in my adult life, one of which was a Whippet that I got as a 13 month old. He didn't bark for the first 6 months I had him and had that glazed over look that you will see in a fearful dog. It was important that his exposure to situations was done in increments, but he ultimately showed me that there is hope for a timid dog. However, he didn't seem like a whole new dog until at least a year of living with him. My point here is that immersing a timid dog into a "busy" situation would be counter-productive.

Hannah has a lesser tendency toward timidity, but when I took her to a puppy socialization class with a bonafide Pat Miller certified trainer and her demo dog (we ended up being the only one in class, giving us one-on-one time with an expert) </tongue in cheek>, said demo dog turned around and "corrected" my puppy (no blood) for running up behind him (both dogs off lead). The trainer allowed me to put the remainder of my fee into a later first obedience class (complete with other dog/handlers), but I pulled my dog after the same demo dog came out of his crate after my leashed pup. To her credit, the trainer was able to call him off with a correction mid-lunge, or he might have nailed ME by default. And no, I did not speak to or engage this dog in any way prior to his bullying of mine, though I did a verbal snarl at him in unison with the trainer (and would again) when he came at my pup.

That would be a lesson in how NOT to socialize a puppy.

Thankfully Hannah has had enough positive dog interactions to ameliorate this initial unpleasantness and she is great with other dogs, off lead. However, she still displays some reactivity to dogs that are walked by my property. Managing her initial experience better *might* have helped with this. Live and learn.

In any case, I hope my experience might in some way help you or others.

ETA: This is not an indictment of Pat Miller, her students or her methods. It is a warning to those who might trust that certification necessarily confers dog sense. That dog should never have been used with a puppy, and I am sorry my dog (or any dog for that matter) had to be the guinea pig.

It sounds to me as if you've gotten some good advice here. You have a very young puppy (still a baby!) at an age where it may be entering a natural fear period that is showing fearful behavior. It's possible that this is simply natural behavior - but it's also possible that you have a puppy that has a markedly shy or fearful temperament. (Hard for anyone to diagnose over the Internet). Temperament is hard-wired, and although you can do a lot with a shy or fearful dog (as other have said) if you are patient and committed, there's no guarantee that this will ever become the dog you might have envisioned. (On the other hand, this might turn out to be just the dog you need, even though you may not recognize that at this point!).

But, as others have said, this may require patience and hard work on your point, and if you don't have it in you, I'll add my voice to those recommending you return the pup to the breeder as soon as possible. The sooner you do so, the better the outcome for this pup, if you're convinced it doesn't have the temperament you seek. No guilt, look within yourself and assess what's best for both of you.

If you're on the fence, you might find browsing Patricia McConnell's website interesting. She has online resources for dealing with shy and fearful dogs. She's worked with many such herself, and has written a book, "The Cautious Canine", that you might find useful should you decide to keep your pup. ("Control Unleashed" is another book you should definitely have in your library). Her current Border collie, Willie, was fearful from the moment she brought him home. She thought of returning him to the breeder but was afraid he'd eventually come to a bad end, and she knew she possessed the skills to work with him. Work with him she has - but she's the first to admit that he'll never be a "dog park" kind of dog, and his relationships with other dogs are still more than a bit up and down. So, yes, it's possible that you can do wonders with this pup (should it truly be fearful). But you shouldn't go into it with unrealistic expectations, either. Time for an honest evaluation of yourself, the pup (to the best of anyone's ability), and your own capacities/goals here.

Also, you said that you can't take the puppy anywhere to socialize. Why not?

Everyone keeps saying I can socialize him, but I still don't know how. Can someone give me some actual examples of what I should be doing? I have been limited to the backyard.

I have people telling me to expose him to the world very slowly, but then others saying I should take him places. Which is it?

Everyone keeps saying I can socialize him, but I still don't know how. Can someone give me some actual examples of what I should be doing? I have been limited to the backyard.

I have people telling me to expose him to the world very slowly, but then others saying I should take him places. Which is it?

Well, it is both. Socialization is important, but the key is incremental exposure. For example, first work on building his confidence in the back yard as suggested, then perhaps get him used to a crate. Then get him used to a car ride in his crate. This will prepare him for a socialization class down the road.

During each transaction, monitor his reactions. If he is crouching and tucking his tail, don't push. It is difficult to explain each detail in a forum, since there are degrees to everything. That coupled with the need to monitor the dog and act accordingly makes it doubly difficult.

Much of this is intuitive. I really think you would benefit from an experienced Border Collie person to help you. Is there perhaps a Border Collie rescue in your area that can refer you to a good trainer? Will the breeder work with you?

Since this puppy is fearful, please make sure he cannot slip his collar. A well fitted harness or martingale might help with this. I would hate to see him get loose if the possibility exists that he might bolt from fear.

I am also inclined to agree with Julie and Sue regarding perhaps asking the breeder to take him back. It sounds like he does need patience, committment and work. All shy dogs do.

Good questions! :) Can I ask you a few questions to get a better idea of your current situation? The answers might help people give some more specific suggestions.

* You said you've had the pup only a short while. How are his interactions with you? Is he timid with you, or is he comfortable?

* Are there any other people or animals in your household? If yes, how does he interact with them?

* Have any people (or animals) come to visit? If yes, how did he respond to them being in your house or yard?

* You mentioned holding him. Have you taken him outside when you've been holding him? If yes, how did he respond?

I would suggest that the first bond you need to build is between you and him, with lots of playing and loving. Keep him with you as much as possible, or within view of you if he's in his crate. Try to put aside any expectations and frustration you feel at his behavior for now, and just follow his lead and have fun with him. Once he's bonded to you, you will be his safe spot as you and he venture out into the world.

Next, I'd bring people and perhaps another dog into his safe zone (your house and backyard), making sure to keep initial visits brief and positive. Make sure the person will be calm; a dog-savvy friend who understands the situation would be ideal. Some timid dogs don't like to be approached by people (physically, verbally or even eye contact), but prefer to be ignored so they can approach on their own, so you and your friend could just sit on the floor and talk. Make sure your friend has treats or a toy for the pup when he does approach (whatever he loves). If you bring in another dog, choose one that is calm and sociable with puppies. Another puppy would be ideal.

As far as getting used to the world outside, you said he approached the open door. That's good. If you can fence off the porch with a baby gate or something, and keep an eye on him, I'd keep the door open as much as possible and let him approach as he wishes. This will also let him get accustomed to the city's sounds and smells. Have good things happen around the door - maybe leave treats there for him to discover. You can sit by the door and play with him. Gradually all of this can inch out onto the porch.

If he's content when you're holding him, you can carry him out onto the porch - at first just briefly, then building up the time, and eventually going off the porch and up and down the sidewalk.

In everything, pay close attention to your pup; if he shows any signs of stress or fear, back off to where he feels safe and next time move more slowly. You have the benefit of the pup's natural curiosity to help you here. He'll want to explore the world, once he feels safe enough.

I hope that helps!

ETA: Do you mind if I ask the puppy's name? And if you'd like to share a photo of the little guy, well, there's not much better than puppy photos!

I would suggest that the first bond you need to build is between you and him, with lots of playing and loving. Keep him with you as much as possible, or within view of you if he's in his crate. Try to put aside any expectations and frustration you feel at his behavior for now, and just follow his lead and have fun with him. Once he's bonded to you, you will be his safe spot as you and he venture out into the world.

Next, I'd bring people and perhaps another dog into his safe zone (your house and backyard), making sure to keep initial visits brief and positive. Make sure the person will be calm; a dog-savvy friend who understands the situation would be ideal. Some timid dogs don't like to be approached by people (physically, verbally or even eye contact), but prefer to be ignored so they can approach on their own, so you and your friend could just sit on the floor and talk. Make sure your friend has treats or a toy for the pup when he does approach (whatever he loves). If you bring in another dog, choose one that is calm and sociable with puppies. Another puppy would be ideal.

This is very good advice IMO.

Sorry if this hurts your feelings, but it sounds to me as if you've already decided you don't want this pup. I too think you should return him to the breeder if possible.

Certainly there is such a thing as a good owner/dog fit, but no dog comes guaranteed not to have traits you find less than entrancing. My dog was a basket case around people, noise, movement - just about everything. She still has the occasional glitch, but at the age of 4 I wouldn't take a million dollars for her. I just kept exposing her to stimuli, taking her to places with gradually increasing "scary factors", and "holding her paw". What she seemed to need most was to establish, build and reinforce trust in me - that I would not force her to face anything that was too scary until she was ready. When she looked at me and said with her eyes, "I'm not comfortable here, mom." I said "OK!" And gave her comfort and retreated to a place she had mastered. Some days that was back to the apartment. Some days just outside in the courtyard. Some days it was just a few steps closer to home.

The important thing was that she not feel she was wrong, bad or a disappointment for not being able to cope with a given thing on a given day. As a person with panic disorder I know just how she felt, and I did whatever she needed me to do to feel comfortable. Now she walks through loud parties and is fine. But she still fears motorcycles - maybe she always will - but I don't care. I redirect her attention when one comes near, and she soon perks up again. She'll never be Rin Tin Tin. But she will always be my "bestest dog in the world."

You have been directed to some great resources for bringing around a fearful dog. Give your pup a chance. Or if you can't manage that, give him back.

Good questions! :) Can I ask you a few questions to get a better idea of your current situation? The answers might help people give some more specific suggestions.

* You said you've had the pup only a short while. How are his interactions with you? Is he timid with you, or is he comfortable?

* Are there any other people or animals in your household? If yes, how does he interact with them?

* Have any people (or animals) come to visit? If yes, how did he respond to them being in your house or yard?

* You mentioned holding him. Have you taken him outside when you've been holding him? If yes, how did he respond?

By the second day he was running around and playing and he runs to me when I call him over about 80% of the time. Sometimes he just stares at me, I think he is a bit stubborn. He jumps around me and tries to mouth my hands. I think he is pretty comfortable.

I have an older dog that is extremely relaxed. I think he takes some cues from her. Last night he explored the back gate when she was standing by it. He was afraid of it at first. Also, he had the most fun racing around the yard, digging holes, and then rolling around in them. He seemed to have forgotten all about his fear of the airplanes in the sky. I don't know if it was because my other dog was out there or he just had a burst of energy, but it was good.

He does do a little bark at people sometimes when they approach him. He wags his tail and goes to greet them but then runs back to me.

Yes, I've taken him outside a couples time while holding him. He just snuggles into me and watches everything.

I agree with what has been posted above - in short, be patient and work with this puppy OR decide that you would rather have a confident puppy and return this puppy to the breeder.

What I am curious about is: if you wanted a confident puppy, why did the breeder pick this puppy for you? Or did you pick out the puppy? Even so, you and the breeder should have had a conversation about the personality of the puppy you wanted and s/he should have directed you to the pups that matched your wants.

Also, how old was the puppy when you got it? If younger than 8 weeks, that may be a partial explanation for his shyness.

Jovi

Sometimes he just stares at me, I think he is a bit stubborn.

Or he doesn't completely understand what you want. You don't really expect a 9 week old puppy to have a perfect recall, do you? Frankly the behavior you describe in your last post sounds like a very average baby puppy who hasn't been in a new situation very long but is settling in. As terrecar says though, it is impossible for us to know the whole story over the Internet in a few posts. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it really sounds like you both need someone with experience to work with you to help you figure out the best option for yourself and your puppy.

At 9 weeks your socialization is limited. Once vaccinated there is alot more you can do. When I brought my pup home from Oklahoma at 8 weeks just that alone was socialization, the car, hotels, large trucks on the highway etc. Once home i have over 15 acres everyday a little further, past trees, water etc. Let visitors meet the pup ( I prefer dogs but that may have to wait), Let the pup meet other people. Slowly. Play with toys bc's love toys. Favorite toys inside, taken outside may build some confidence.

I agree with some about the right or wrong puppy for you. (Yes, I have trained extremely timid dogs.) But maybe your apprehensive about taking the dog out before you even go out for fear that the pup will be afraid.

Try to go out with confidence as if to say i will not let anything happen to you. Stick with me.

Your pup may take longer than most but I think you can do it.post-13260-057630000 1343429133_thumb.jpg

Okay I was under the impression you had a lot of experience with puppies?

Take him shopping with you- home depot, Lowe's, petsmart, don't let him on the ground. Let people pet him, supervised, if he's worried, move on. Go to Ace Hardware, meander around. Sit on a bench at a quite grocery store, him on your lap. Go to the vet, hold him, let them pet him.

There's unlimited places you can go and socialize. He'll be getting heavy soon though. Don't ask anything of him, just be there for him.

I'm one that floods puppies, safely. Even prior to all vaccines. Safely. No strange dogs. No dirty places and I have no qualms telling inappropriate kids *no*. Go sit in a park, at a library or the post office. Go to the drive thru's :)There's just too many places to list!

Get to know him, watch him, figure him out. Study him.

Nuture him and don't push him mentally.

By the second day he was running around and playing and he runs to me when I call him over about 80% of the time. Sometimes he just stares at me, I think he is a bit stubborn. He jumps around me and tries to mouth my hands. I think he is pretty comfortable.

I have an older dog that is extremely relaxed. I think he takes some cues from her. Last night he explored the back gate when she was standing by it. He was afraid of it at first. Also, he had the most fun racing around the yard, digging holes, and then rolling around in them. He seemed to have forgotten all about his fear of the airplanes in the sky. I don't know if it was because my other dog was out there or he just had a burst of energy, but it was good.

He does do a little bark at people sometimes when they approach him. He wags his tail and goes to greet them but then runs back to me.

Yes, I've taken him outside a couples time while holding him. He just snuggles into me and watches everything.

I think this sounds very promising! It sounds like he is bonding nicely with you, and displaying normal puppy behavior with you in your house and back yard. He'll even go up to people - that's great! It's excellent that you have a mellow older dog who can help him see that the world is an OK place. I'd say that if you are happy with the way he behaves indoors and in your backyard where he feels safe, the odds are extremely high that he'll behave the same way out in the world once he has time to get used to it, with your help.

From this description, I'd be less likely to describe him as scared, and more likely to describe him as "adjusting to his new environment.". His whole world has been uprooted and he's in a strange environment; it will take time for him to adjust. (How long has he been with you - I got the impression it's only been about a week.)

Once your vet says it's OK, if he's comfortable outside in your arms, I'd carry him outside so that he can get used to the noise, smell and bustle of the city. (Have his collar and leash on.) Take your older dog with you (maybe have a friend come along to help) and see if that helps. Maybe carry him to the park and find a quiet spot, and sit on the ground with him in your lap. If he wants to stay in your lap, that's fine, but he might start to explore the area around you.

Once your vet says it's OK, if he's comfortable outside in your arms, I'd carry him outside so that he can get used to the noise, smell and bustle of the city.

Just curious but since when does an owner have get permission from a vet to take a pup out? This pup should be out and about daily, in small doses already, imo.