25 replies to this topic

#21 Sue R

Sue R

Bark less, wag more

• Registered Users
  • 12,783 posts
  • Interests:Stockdogs, horses, chocolate

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:13 AM

When the time comes, you will ease her on over because you love her that much.

I have a 15 year old and one who will be 15 in a few weeks. I know things will never improve but they both are doing well right now and enjoying life.

I have been guilty of waiting too long before, and sometimes it's just harder than other times to know when it's the right time and proceed. I know you will choose with love and consideration for her sake.

Very best wishes.
Sue Rayburn - Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult, but not the brightest firefly in the jar.

Celt, Megan, and Dan

"When the chips are down, watch where you step."

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything." - author unknown

#22 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:34 AM

Thought I would update.

Kit no longer wants to go for a walk, so we have stopped that, but she still loves her tug play every day.

The thing is, she just won't eat enough. This week I am only getting maybe a cup of food into her a day. Now all she will eat is raw chicken or beef.....no problem, I will feed her that.....but she just doesn't eat enough.

The expensive high quality kibble that she ate enthusiastically for a few days is now No.

Satin balls are No.

Canned food is No.

Scrambled eggs are No.

etc.

She has lost 6 pounds since March.

She will eat biscuits, and cheese, but I can't get a whole cup of that kind of thing into her, and they are not really all that nutritious or good for her if I could.

I am at a loss.

She is somewhat incontinent. She has to sleep confined in the kitchen because of that, and I usually come home to find pee I have to clean from the carpet. Because I don't want to confine her to kitchen day and night.

Good thing I don't have to go to work every day and am more often home with her. She wakes me twice a night or so when I hear her nails on the kitchen floor - I get up to let her out, but sometimes she has already wet her bed.

I have known some aging dogs who got very upset when that happened, and that was a cue to move toward euthanasia. But Kit is never upset about it....seems matter of fact about it, and of course I act as if it is nothing, clean it up while she is outside.

So I ask myself - do I keep trying everything to get more food into her.....or do I just let her go her own way? Let her slowly starve herself to death? She is already just about skin and bones.

If I saw her on the street I would think someone had stared her. Hip bones and backbone sticking out. It makes me sad.

Kit isn't sad, though. She smiles at me. She sleeps a lot, but when she is getting petted she loves it as always; when tugging her eyes light up same as always.

D'Elle

and family.

Left to right: Kit, Jester, Boo, Digger

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg
"You gonna throw that?" --Jester:  2001 - June 24 2016. Remembered with much love.
"I'm grouchier than you are" --Kit

"I love everyone!" -- Boo

(Boing! Boing! Boing!)--Digger

And not pictured, Benjamin the cat, who thinks he is a small border collie with superpowers.

#23 LauraV

LauraV

• Registered Users
  • 356 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:35 PM

When Nikko refused food entirely, I made the decision. He was never one to let me down, but when I tried getting food in him, he looked at me with sad eyes telling me he was ready.

Borders are so stoic and too stubborn to let us down.

Try putting faces on a calendar. A smile face for good days, a straight face for so-so days, and a sad face for bad days. When straight and sad faces start to outweigh smile faces, it helps with the decision.

You know Kit better than all of us. I wish you and kit well, and I hope she starts eating more!

#24 GentleLake

GentleLake

• Registered Users
  • 5,497 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:23 PM

Again I'm amazed at how Kit's paralleling my Tilly, almost exactly.

After some time of trying to get a little something, anything, into her every day, she finally stopped eating altogether. On the third day I called the vet and took her in. Sometimes I still think I waited too long, but by day three I was certain she wasn't going to eat, no matter what I tried. I'd put food into her mouth hoping she'd swallow it and she just let it drop out of her mouth.

I like Laura's suggestion of faces on the calendar. It might be a useful gauge.

As always, my most sincere sympathy with your struggle.

roxanne

"People in your life always come and go all the time; the dogs are always there for me. Always." ~Samantha Valle

#25 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 2,230 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:05 AM

Thanks so much for the support.

Kit really doesn't have any "bad" days. She doesn't seem unhappy or sad at all, just less and less interested in food. She is still very interested in other things: alerting and barking if something is outside, playing tug, getting petted and hugged, sometimes even engaging in a few seconds of play posturing with Boo.

Jester was the same. He had no "bad days" and his spirit was as full of life and joy on his last day as it ever was. The only difference was that he was deeply frustrated because he could no longer get up or run, and that is how I made the decision.

My vet said "don't wait until she cannot get up on her own". But if a dog is still enjoying life, I honestly do not know what other criteria to follow.

If Kit stops eating entirely for three days.....that would be a criteria. thanks for mentioning that, Gentle Lake.

Because the soil here is like concrete at all times of the year except during monsoon, and digging a hole takes a long time if all you have is one woman and a shovel, I have started digging a grave right next to Jester's. 

I did the same thing when it was Jester, and was glad I did because it took me a couple of weeks of daily digging, and to try to dig it all in one day would be too hard. But it is such a weird thing to do and I don't like it.

D'Elle

and family.

Left to right: Kit, Jester, Boo, Digger

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg
"You gonna throw that?" --Jester:  2001 - June 24 2016. Remembered with much love.
"I'm grouchier than you are" --Kit

"I love everyone!" -- Boo

(Boing! Boing! Boing!)--Digger

And not pictured, Benjamin the cat, who thinks he is a small border collie with superpowers.

#26 Shetlander

Shetlander

Life is a beach.

• Registered Users
  • 3,513 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:34 AM

I am so sorry to hear this. It can be agonizing trying to decide when to let an animal go. I end up thinking I either waited too long or worry I was premature in my decision to euthanize. I personally never feel like my dogs let me know it is time but maybe my grief and doubts keep me from hearing the message. So for me it is a difficult process of monitoring quality of life, trying to look at it objectively and preventing unnecessary suffering. The objective part is hard because when we are in the middle of things, we don't always have the perspective to see the deterioration or improvement which sometimes is subtle on a day to day basis.

Your deep love, concern and care for Kit is very obvious in what you share. I know you will do right by her. I wish there was some way to make this time less gruelling for you.

Liz

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.