BC Boards

Finally some video clips

Well inspired by the helpful comments that the more seasoned trainers can give when watching a video clip I went out this morning with my camera to try and take some footage of my 2 dogs Drift the BC and Kobie the Koolie. Both are 8 1/2 months and Kobie is my recently rescued boy.

The clips are taken in my roundyard by myself which was an interesting challenge. I wasnt using voice commands except towards the end with Drift, just using my body to change the balance point. I have friends coming to stay next weekend so I might see if I can get them to take better footage.

I usually work them in my open paddock and carry a length of poly pipe. Kobie is a reletively calm dog although if any sheep tries to break away he can get a bit carried away. Drift is a bit more full on, but he is starting to steady and I can call him off the sheep with a that will do. Both are quite good with wait commands.

Now I have just signed up for you tube and was about to upload my 3 clips when I noticed that they were about between 56 and 77 MB each. I did stitch them together which seems to have reduced the size and quality to 77MB in total. Is this a normal size or do I need to do something else to reduce the size.

This is unchartered territory to me.

I think I have been succesful - see below

Others can probably help you better than I but photobucket.com works great for me. Youtube is a bit confusing.

Success, I hope. I reduced the size and put the link to photobucket. Nah didnt work so finally figured out youtube I think

From what I can tell in the video, they both look good. I'd like to see how they work in a larger area.

The bigger reason, though, that I'm responding is to bump this thread up. It seems to have gotten a bit buried in the other posts (... and that's a good thing! I'm glad to see people posting videos ... I am enjoying reading the responses).

Well inspired by the helpful comments that the more seasoned trainers can give when watching a video clip I went out this morning with my camera to try and take some footage of my 2 dogs Drift the BC and Kobie the Koolie. Both are 8 1/2 months and Kobie is my recently rescued boy.

Thanks Jodi for bumping this up; I had missed it.

HC,

Your dogs look good. It looks like Drift wants to slice his flanks going to the right (away)? It's hard to tell because the camera seems to lose him, but I suspect that's because he's speeding up and diving in. I know how it is trying to tape and work a youngster, but I would try giving him a voice correction the second you see him thinking about diving in. By the time he's dropped his shoulder and started to speed up, you're probably too late. But if you catch him when he's just thinking about it, you can give him an "aht!" and perhaps a "get back" or whatever command you use to get them to give a little space. Anyway, looking at the video that's the only thing I really saw to work on. Like Jodi, I'd like to see them out in a larger area, so hopefully you'll be able to get someone to tape for you.

J.

Thanks for responding, much appreciated

Yes he does tend to slice on the away direction. He zooms in fast, occassionaly nips a hock and then goes back out wide. He started doing this when I started to walk around with the sheep and I have started to voice correct him on it.

I think on retrospect I have been correcting him as he is doing it rather than while he is thinking about it! so will make sure I change that.

He works nice and wide if I am just circling him, it starts to happen when I starting moving with the sheep.

When I first stared working with him he was quite sticky but is starting to flow much better now.

He is quite a feisty young man but as he is maturing I have noticed him starting to pay some attention to me rather than soley focussed on the sheep.

I have friends coming to stay this weekend and will see if they can take some footage in the paddock in between the thunderstorms we are currently having.

They are really beautiful dogs. it seems to me too that they need a bigger area.

Maja

Thanks! yes I do have much larger paddocks to train them in which I usually do but with just me holding the camera I decided to put them in the round yard to take the video.

This weekend I will work them in one of the big paddocks as I will have someone who can video us working to give a better idea of all the mistakes I am probably making as a very novice handler!

Archived