BC Boards

(My) First time with Eve + Stock

borderlicious

We did well! Okay, Eve did well and I managed to hold myself together. At least I didn't fall on my butt. Speaking of which, a lot of these photos are cropped because I don't want to show said posterior to the boards - so excuse the lack of stock in some of them. Also excuse the quality, my mom tagged along to take photos but doesn't do much more than point and shoot.

Eve waiting to goooooo:

Evewatching-1.jpg

She was in "whee" mode at first, going 100 miles per minute, scaring the crap out of me and making the goats run - surprisingly, she was just trying to bring them to me... at 100 miles per minute. ack. My knees are bruised from the goats slamming me every time Eve brought them around at warp speed.

chase.jpg

chase2.jpg

She slowed down (well, not slow, but to the point where she was no longer a black blur) and worked quite nicely after that. I felt really comfortable with her... surprised me a bit, I expected it to be hellish.

Eveworking1.jpg

eveworking2.jpg

eveworking3.jpg

eveworking4.jpg

eveworking6.jpg

The trainer agreed to work her for me so I could get a picture, and of course none of mine turned out. This was the best I got. :rolleyes:

eveworking5.jpg

I like this one!!

She looks so happy! And she can fly! :D

Eveworking1.jpg

Good job pup!

ETA: I see her rough coat is growing out on her ruff and tail - she looks beautiful. :rolleyes:

I didn't know Frankie and Sage have been on sheep! How have they been doing?

Kat, yup! She's getting a lovely coat, I think she'll be very refined and elegant looking once she grows out of the gawky stage. Even with the crazy ears and legs, I think she's a gorgeous puppy -- not that I'm biased or anything. :rolleyes:

Very very nice! How do goats work, compared to sheep? Are they more flighty? And how do you keep your dogs' pads from burning on that gravel? My tenderfoots would have no feet left - must be a hardy Arizona thing.

Also, if we are taking orders, please send me both Eve and Fiona. I am sure I have room for both. :rolleyes:

On sheep? LOL, yes, a few times. I was farm sitting and they tested every last inch of the fence around the pasture. They discovered holes and weak spots the farm owner had no idea were there :rolleyes: Frankie even managed to climb over a wall in the barn one time to get to them while I was putting out hay. Mr. Frankie No No was a monster, as I expected, and dove right in. The lead ewe challenged him and he gripped her on the nose then hung onto her side while she sprinted across the field. Sage is more of a thinker and doesn't go quite as fast, though he is also a bit of a hellion too and antagonized the lead ewe (who is quite nasty with dogs) and also got her on the nose. Needless to say, both pups are ON and desperate to work the woollies. I need to get them on some knee knockers so we can do some real training. I may have to dig out my 35mm camera since my digital only takes blurry action shots.

Here are the most recent pics of them

http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=10923

MY puppy! My dad is getting another border collie pup in a couple months, you guys are welcome to have that one. :rolleyes:

Narita,

It was nice when we got there at 7am, but by the time all the mock trial runs were done (about 11am) it was pushing 95 degrees. Eve handled the heat much better than I did but I still didn't want to let her work for more than 3-4 minutes at a time.

Kristi,

The ground is quite warm, I can usually feel it through my tennis shoes. As for the dog's tolerance, I think it's a combination of the dog developing tough feet and having tight, hard feet to begin with. Eve was okay with it as long as she kept moving, but when she wasn't working she found some shade to stand in. I've found that their pads don't heat up a lot, it's the skin between the pads that gets painful when it makes contact with the ground. Eve has fairly tight feet and shorter toes than my other dogs so she is more tolerant of it than they are.

The goats... Well, they're odd. I really can't compare them to sheep much because the only sheep I've worked have been in a large (50-60+) flock or have been dog-broke but in small numbers. I can say that the goats I've had experience with seem to handle a lot like cattle. Sometimes they kick up their heels and take off and sometimes it's not easy at all to get them to move. These goats were pretty dog-broke so they'd get up and move when they saw Eve coming, but I worked another dog on some undogged goats and they were either super flighty or stubborn as hell. Hard to compare them to sheep, but they really reminded me of my cattle -- and I have no idea how cattle compare to sheep.