BC Boards

My Border Collie Has Round Worms

My Border Collie is 6 months old and was thinking she had a uti because she was panting and drinking alot of water. She had gone outside and ended up throwing up alot of roundworms. Yuch!!!! I dont understand how she has them at this age? She was dewormed as a puppy and lives in a area where there she is not around alot of other dogs. The vet put her on stongid on Monday and she is still panting and drinking alot of water. And yes when she goes to the bathroom the worms are still coming out alive. Does it usually take this long for the deworming to take effect? She is not herself and feel sorry for her

The worms that are coming out are dead and dying and it's not unusual to see them for a few days after deworming. Many vets will want to do several rounds of dewormer just to make sure they got everything, so you may want to check with your vet about the worm load you're seeing. She could easily reinfect herself by being in an area where she pooped before the deworming, so be aware of that possibility.

If you have your dog on a heartworm preventative, most will cover roundworms so you'll never have to deal with this mess again. I know Interceptor covers everything except tapeworms and I think Heartguard covers everything except tapeworms and whipworms.

I agree with Barb's post. Puppies may need repeated worming when they are little. But take in stool samples to the vet to make sure what worms are the problem and follow directions for worming. I picked up a stray puppy years ago who almost immediately made it obvious that he had roundworms. However, he had two other kinds of worms as well, which I couldn't have identified without the vet running tests.

My own dogs, including the Border Collie, do not need monthly worming. I'm sure there are regional differences. Also, I do not let my dogs outside unsupervised so there is no slipping off somewhere to eat something that might pass on worms.

I'm in NC and only worm every few months. In the winter I sometimes go longer than that unless I've had a lot of outside dogs through. Whether you need to worm your adult dogs regularly depends a lot on where they go and what dogs you also bring on the property and expose them to.

I keep puppies (up to a year) on Interceptor monthly. Plus I do a round of Safeguard a couple times.