BC Boards

Marking? Someone Please Explain..

We left to go out to and get some food, and we crated Pepper,but left Poppy out with our daughter. Well she swears she only left the room for a moment but when we came home he had peed in the house!!! (So unlike him!) He's been housebroke for months!!)

He peed in three places. In two places on the rug, AND on my sofa that we both lay on!!!! Was this anger?? Insecurtiy? Marking?

Beth,

First off, dogs don't act out based on emotion, so any peeing like you describe shouldn't be attributed to anger, or retribution or anything like that. I also think it would be highly unusual for him to suddenly start marking in the house.

How old is Poppy now? How long were you gone? Were he and your daughter playhing when you left? My 6.5-month old will still need to pee after a play session. So if Poppy and yur daughter were playing and then she walked out of the room, he might just have had the normal need to pee after play. Also, as you know, kids don't always tell the complete truth. It's possible Poppy asked to go out and was ignored or she was gone longer than she says. It's immaterial now though as the deed is already done.

At any rate, to be on the safe side, I think I would crate him too when leaving the house.

J.

Well he had gone shortly before we left and again when we came home. Also we were gone less than an hour.

I just don't understand it.

He went in three different spots and one was on the couch so it wasn't trail peeing or whatever.

Anyhow I sprayed Urine B gone on it, so the smell will be gone in a few minutes.

My dogs, regardless of when they went out last, will need to go out after only 5 minutes of rowdy play. And Tess is 3 and Kipp is 1-1/2. I think it is very likely he "asked" to go out and your daughter did not see the signal or recognize it for what it was.

If he peed in three completely separate places, though, that means he was probably left alone long enough (2-3 minute or more?) to get bored and start sniffing around and marking stuff. Does not take long, especially if there was a scent mark in those spots that you had not previously removed.

Also, what about water intake? If he was playing and had some water, he likely would need to go regardless of when he'd last been out.

Quiet sleeping in a crate is far different from playing activity. My dogs can wait for a few hours in their crates, or overnight, without needing to go out. But with wrestling and playing, they need to go out far more frequently.

My mother-in-law swears her dog is housebroken. Last winter, he peed in 3 places in our house. He did this, I am sure, because she took him outside and threw a stick for him and had him run around and then brought him in without making sure he peed first. At home he has a dog door. No dog door here. He peed on 3 beds where my dogs sleep. That's marking, but it was also poor management. I did ask her each time if he'd peed before she brought him and each time she said "He's fine." Obviosly he was not. :rolleyes: He's no longer allowed in my house.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

He hadn't run for hours before we had left. He was just lying around. He couldnt get to the water as he was shut in the living room with daughter and the other doors were shut so I don't know but am thinking that yes it was marking. But why would he mark? Because I left him? And why would leaving make him mark? I don't understand that.

I have had rescues that would mark when left out loose... it was usually anxiety .. they don't have to show any other destructive behaivour.

You can try a urine band - jock strap on him .. OR crate him if you think this is becoming a problem... I would wait and see if he does it again, perhaps it was just one of those random things!

Yeah he will just be crated from now on.

So even if he isnt lifting his leg yet he is still marking?

The vet told me he probablly wouldn't evet lift his leg, or mark as he was neutered so early(at 4 mos).

Originally posted by Beth G:

But why would he mark? Because I left him? And why would leaving make him mark? I don't understand that.

Dogs mark to claim territory. It can also help the dog feel more secure in situations like being left alone or "in charge." One of the reasons crating and contatinment work so well with puppies and young dogs is it gives them a secure spot to rest in without feeling the need to "guard" a larger area. It could be that Poppy was feeling a little insecure when you left. He is also at an age where this sort of thing will pop up.

For most dogs, even brilliant Border Collies, housebreaking is a journey as well as a destination. You sometimes see backsliding when the dog reaches certain ages or in some situations. I had a dog who was quickly housetrained with no accidents at our home, but I had to watch him closely when we visited because he'd mark inside. Both my shelties, right around the age of 12 months peed on the bed where we slept after months of no accidents. They were a year apart in age and each did that just once, then went back to being fine.

A few months ago, my 3 1/2 year old Lhasa started marking in the house. Just to be safe, I had his urine checked to make sure there wasn't an infection (there wasn't). I'm quite positive he started this because he was feeling threatened or unsettled by Quinn's growing maturity and "manliness." He peed on my bed's bedskirt, my sheltie's bed leg, the side of the sofa (the side I sat on normally) and the refrigerator. Gee, can we say "MINE"? MY bed. MY sheltie. MY Liz. MY food.

It took me a while to realize this was happening and he is currently still crated when I leave until I feel ready to try him out in the kitchen again. Fortunately, he was insane enough to lift his leg in front of me not once but twice in one evening. This allowed me to interrupt him very rudely then take him outside to finish. As far as I know, he hasn't done it since.

I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but "just a few minutes" can be several times that amount of time with some adults I know. Crating Poppy when you leave might be the best option right now.

Yes crating him again, does indeed sound like the best answer. He was doing so well I got lazy..lol.

And yes now that I think of it I had a female that marked a bed twice at 5 mos, and then never again. She did both in front of me and got corrected. She was the dog I had prior to getting Poppy. I had her for over 11 yrs. She turned out to be a fantastic dog though, all things (naughty and nice)considered.

Jackson is VERY house broke, as long as he has his doggie door. He has not had an accident since he was Skip's age. HOWEVER, I caught him twice peeing on the carpet in the spare room where Skip had peed. Apparently, I did not get it all up! Anyway, after the second time of catching him in the act, he quit. Dogs don't pee or poop in inapropriate places out of anger or hurt feelings. No, that's what cats do!!!

Zoe's been fine for months, but while I was away hubby reported that she'd peed on the bed! The last time she did that was when she was young enough to not be able to jump off the bed.

And I've heard the "oh he/she's fine" thing so many times from hubby, while Zeeke is freaking out whining, barking, needing to go out. So I just don't trust what he says anymore, because obviously, he knows nothing. :D

Sounds like he was feeling insecure, and that combined with someone other than mom being home to watch him (because, honestly, we pick up on slight changes in behavior that other people just don't see, but to us are huge blaring "MUST GO PEE" signs) led to him peeing. :rolleyes:

What RDM said. My personal bias is to check for a physical problem first to rule that out. Then, if that's not it, what Julie and others said... several bits of good advice there. FWIW, I had to housebreak Finn three times... once as a pup, once when he went into puberty, once when he went into social maturity (at the time, he was intact.) H'e spretty good now, so if I see a pee in the house the first thing I do is check for a bladder infection. So far, that's been the only reason he's peed indoors for the last 2 years. Antibiotics cleared him right up.

The puddles were huge that he made. So vet doesn't think a bladder infection, when I called about it

Come to find out daughter opened the bathroom door that I had shut before we left and Poppy got into alot of water. Still not like him but maylbe he was bored? He drank a huge amount of water. First time we left him out free with her, while gone so I kind of expected something to happen...

Originally posted by Beth G:

The puddles were huge that he made. So vet doesn't think a bladder infection, when I called about it

Could be he just drank a lot of water so really needed to go, was feeling a bit insecure and/or wasn't supervised enough. I had a puppy who peed buckets and she did have an infection, so if you see any more accidents, you might want to take in a urine sample.

FWIW, Finn urinated a big puddle in the middle of my bed (on the down comforter, thank you very much) :mad: when he had a bladder infection. I wouldn't have thought HE had a bladder infection, either, based on volume. But it was just SO unusual for him to urinate in the middle of the bed that I became suspicious.

Could be that it has nothing to do with that. It's just that the only way to rule it out is to do the test.