BC Boards

ABCA Pedigree research

Hello,

I want to trace back my dog's pedigree a few generations more. I've completed aprox. 80% of it, every time it reaches an ISDS dog it's piece of cake. But now I have a few dead ends that I just can't find more info.

I'm attaching an ABCA pedigree to help. It's not my dog's pedigree but it has the dogs I'm interested in which is on the dam's side Lash x Bittsy mating.

Thank You.

lifefh.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• 3 months later...

I am a research junky. I could (and likely will) spend tons of time researching pedigrees in a quest to learn all I can about the lineage of a hopefully, well-selected working pup sometime in the next year or so.

We've had three BCs, "Max", the best dog of all time whom we lost to cancer at age nine came from a working cattle ranch. We were offered papers with him but at the time it really didn't matter to us so we declined. Next came another working stock pup and papers were offered, but never delivered despite several calls to the ranch. It stung to not have the people follow through but the pup grew up into a wonderful dog, so no harm-no foul. Finally came Jack, a wonderful rescue dog whom I thought certainly was a "cross" due to his stocky stature and large head, but two vets have told me he well could be pure as they have seen this type of BC before. Jack is still with us and we "think" is about 9-10 years old probably. He is a docile, cuddler who no doubt was abused in his previous situation, so he is just Jack - no expectations of him other than to let us just smother him with kindness and belly rubs and hang out with us.

In any event, we have decided we once again want to embark on the Border Collie pup route and this time we really want to go for a papered dog from a reputable breeder. We really want to review/research pedigrees; as much for the adventure of it as for the "impressiveness." It seems that when one finds a reputable breeder, the pedigree history becomes of lesser importance.

This next dog will definitely be "worked" in some manner, likely agility and we may just step off into some trial work. We know someone fairly near by with sheep and two working Aussies who is willing to help us out in that regard.

So, here's the dilemma. Just where on-line can I research pedigrees of working dogs?

I see where I can join the ABCA and then apply to register a dog there. I can not seem to find a searchable database of these registered dogs. Does one become "available" after joining? (which I plan to do in the next week or so regardless)

I have played with this site using pedigrees from various pups I have seen on-line, but come up empty on most every entry I type in. usfdr database

I've also had very limited success here: pedigreedatabase.com

I am blown a way at the depth and breadth of knowledge on this board and am hopeful that someone can help get me started on this fascinating journey of becoming a responsible, knowledgeable and trustworthy "keeper of the breed."

Thank you in advance for any and all help you may be able to offer.

Doug

I am a research junky. I could (and likely will) spend tons of time researching pedigrees in a quest to learn all I can about the lineage of a hopefully, well-selected working pup sometime in the next year or so.

So, here's the dilemma. Just where on-line can I research pedigrees of working dogs?

I see where I can join the ABCA and then apply to register a dog there. I can not seem to find a searchable database of these registered dogs. Does one become "available" after joining? (which I plan to do in the next week or so regardless)

Doug, so far as I know, there is no searchable online database for ABCA border collies. I've actually heard people wish for one, rather like the Quarter Horse people have, but so far, none exists.

I'm not even sure where or how one could start, given the thousands of dogs over the generations. But it would be nice have.

As it is, learning to know border collies is pretty much done the old-fashioned way: read, ask questions and watch trials or videos of trials and working dogs, and ask questions, ask questions, ask questions. :) Papers tell you a lot less about a dog than getting to know what the dogs' parents and forebears actually did.

Good luck!

~ Gloria

Soda Pop has a Thomas Baumgartner on her pedigree too but he's a puppy miller in North Dakota. (Or maybe S. Dakota... i forget) but same name, same spelling. Kind of funny, but I don't think Baumgartner is that uncommon of a last name.

Archived