BC Boards

Hey gang!

I feel like I know so many of you since I've been lurking on these discussions for the past year, and now I'm asking a question of my own!

Finally, it is time for me to get a border of my own once again, as now I'm graduated from college and will have a fairly free year (or two!) before heading off to vet school (where she will obviously accompany me).

I had a BC/Siberian growing up, and I desperately miss having a pup that WANTS to be busy, wants to hike with me, wants to learn with me, and wants to work. I have a rescue Chihuahua mix now, and while he will do about 5-8 miles (when in shape, not after the winter we just got out of!) with me on the trail before I'm carrying him the rest of the day. We did this for a month on the Appalachian last summer, and we had a blast.

That being said, he is true to his breed in that he is very cautious of new people and dogs, moody, bratty, and generally the cutest thing. He has done exceptionally well with dogs his size, puppies of all sizes, and some large dogs. Other large dogs he is fearful of. For that reason, I thought I'd avoid his size-related fear by getting a pup so he won't notice her growth as it gradually happens.

This will also be of benefit to the cat, who is good with all small dogs, even when I foster up to five at a time, but one big dog comes in the house and he's not coming out from behind the fridge for a week. Starting from puppyhood, for a permanent resident, I believe is my only way to set up for success.

After two years of having puppy fever, I am done with college and ready for my baby!

I can't agree with breeding an animal for ANY reason other than the BETTERMENT of the breed, and as a volunteer in the rescue scene, I know theres a perfect match for everyone if they are willing to search, willing to drive, and willing to see the adoption process through!

I have been approved to adopt this little pup, and plan on making the drive from Ohio to Illinois, where they have her reserved for me, to get her this week after my last final.

She was found along a road in southern Illinois, and the rescue doesn't know her breed, but to me, she looks like a good smooth BC, if not just a wider at the base of the muzzle than typical. I don't have any BC baby experience, and I don't know what they usually look like at 10-11 weeks.

What do you think she is? Lab mix? Pointer?

(also I have attached a couple of my Chi, cause I heard we all love pictures)

post-20049-0-71501400-1494371639_thumb.jpg

post-20049-0-35879100-1494371648_thumb.jpg

post-20049-0-05954800-1494371656_thumb.jpg

post-20049-0-11167500-1494371663_thumb.jpg

post-20049-0-43465900-1494371670_thumb.jpg

What do you think she is?

I thinks she's Adorable!!! (Yes, with a capital "A.")

Looks like she could be part border collie, but I've seen way too many puppies even much older than her who don't really start taking on their breed characteristics until they're quite a bit older.

For example, I adopted a dog who at 6 months old really looked like a border collie pup. 2 things that made me wonder were that she's sable and she had kind of funky ears. But border collies can come in sable and of course she could've come from an irresponsible breeder breeding for candy colors, and at 6 months old many border collie pups ears are doing funky things.

Several months later she was showing unmistakable physical characteristics of sighthounds. She still appears to be part border collie or similar breed, but clearly also has sighthound in her background as well, making her a lurcher. And she's as smart as any border collie I've known, but has he independence (not in a good way), attitude and prey drive of a sighthound. And her ears remain conflicted. :rolleyes:

So, honestly, I think you're going to have to wait a while before you can have any reasonable idea what this pup really is, if even then. :lol:

• 8 months later...

Just an update, baby Sioux is now a year old, and while she hasn't turned on to stock, she does love agility, and she's soon to start flyball. She keeps her mama busy!

Absolute angel of a pup, not a potty accident since 5 months, not destructive, not yappy, just beautiful, smart, gentle, and generally perfect!

post-20049-0-60290700-1516951124_thumb.jpg

post-20049-0-19580500-1516951134_thumb.jpg

post-20049-0-50707100-1516951153_thumb.jpg

Just an update, baby Sioux is now a year old, and while she hasn't turned on to stock, she does love agility, and she's soon to start flyball. She keeps her mama busy!

Absolute angel of a pup, not a potty accident since 5 months, not destructive, not yappy, just beautiful, smart, gentle, and generally perfect!

post-20049-0-60290700-1516951124_thumb.jpg

post-20049-0-19580500-1516951134_thumb.jpg

post-20049-0-50707100-1516951153_thumb.jpg